Consent form needed for grandchild

bananawindnj

I take my granddaughter with me she 16 I've been taking her since she was four you will need both parents sign paper. Saying they allow you to take him on a cruise what ship what ports and release medical if he gets hurt to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Suggest the naysayers read facts before posting their erroneous information.

A 16 year old doesn't need either parents permission to get a passport if they have an ID:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/16-and-17.html

Did you read item # 4 in your above link? You should and take particular note of the use of the term "strongly recommend "

You can spin it however you like....but a parent must be "aware"...thus the 16yo isn't getting a passport by themselves without "parental awareness"

Just another way to say....kid, your parents are going to be involved because we reserve the right a to Require extra steps from you and them due to your age just to be sure that everything is ok but in this PC society we live in we aren't going to "demand" a parent be there but you can bet we aren't just handing you over a pp either so we use the term "recommend" and we are going to reserve the right to scrutinize your application even further since you are under 18 but we also recognize that in certain instances you may actually be considered an adult such as in marriage or emancipation so we are using the term "parental awareness" anyway but understand you may have a special circumstance in rare cases. We are just using the CYA approach but don't expect us to just hand over a pp to every 16 yo who walks in here without a parent.

So...

It doesn't matter what you want to think....the passport office is going to do their job and will make sure the parent is "aware" and yes I'm getting a lot out of the term "parental awareness"...because it is purposely vague and subject to various interpretations....it is written that way specifically so the the pp office can refuse to take the kids application

Seriously don't kid yourself on this

Dispute my comment it if you like but better yet why not just send your 16yo to the office alone and see how that works out?

See how quickly you wind up making a 2nd trip there

Edited by luvtheships

I'm not going to quote the posters I'm referring to. For purposes of discussion we have to assume information on an official government website relevant to the question at hand is accurate.

From the link to the state department website regarding passports:

If you have your own identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport by yourself,.....If you do not have a current ID, you must show at least one parent knows that you are applying for a passport.

Parental awareness is only required if the 16-17 year old applicant doesn't have current ID

Parental consent requirements are imposed by the cruise line and countries you'll be visiting. From the DHS website

If a single parent has sole custody, a copy of the court custody document can replace a letter from the other parent.

Interesting, at least to me, variation. A family was flying to Mexico. Flight was cancelled. Family was split. Parent with child went on one flight other parent and child on a different. Had to locate other parent in airport somewhere and get consent before could enter Mexico.

Did you read item # 4 in your above link? You should and take particular note of the use of the term "strongly recommend "

You can spin it however you like....but a parent must be "aware"...thus the 16yo isn't getting a passport by themselves without "parental awareness"

It doesn't matter what you want to think....the passport office is going to do their job and will make sure the parent is "aware" and yes I'm getting a lot out of the term "parental awareness"...because it is purposely vague and subject to various interpretations....it is written that way specifically so the the pp office can refuse to take the kids application

Seriously don't kid yourself on this

Dispute my comment it if you like but better yet why not just send your 16yo to the office alone and see how that works out?

See how quickly you wind up making a 2nd trip there

Adding an imaginary conversation by a clerk doesn't make you correct. You're still wrong. A 16 year old with ID may obtain a passport by themselves, without parental permission. This is very clearly stated in the link I provided.

My DS obtained a passport all by himself when he was 16 using his old passport. I wasn't there, and no second trip needed. Not sure what you mean by "passport office." He did it at the courthouse.

Your need to "prove" me wrong is puzzling.

Edited by 6rugrats

Adding an imaginary conversation by a clerk doesn't make you correct. You're still wrong. A 16 year old with ID may obtain a passport by themselves, without parental permission. This is very clearly stated in the link I provided.

My DS obtained a passport all by himself when he was 16 using his old passport. I wasn't there, and no second trip needed. Not sure what you mean by "passport office." He did it at the courthouse.

He already had an expired pp. big difference

Passports are not issued in the courthouse however there may well be a pp office at your courthouse

The pp was issued by the passport office

People can go on and on about getting a passport, leaving the country, etc.

Legally this is the bottom line: For a minor to leave the country, by land sea or air, with or without a passport, they need the permission of both parents, some certification that one parent has their rights terminated, or is deceased, or a court order. You might be able to get them out of the country without the permission, but if push comes to shove without permission, they don't leave the US.

Not sure what you mean by "passport office." He did it at the courthouse.

He already had an expired pp. big difference

Passports are not issued in the courthouse however there may well be a pp office at your courthouse

The pp was issued by the passport office

Only politicians (either party) are allowed to misrepresent a statement in order to better attack him (or her). Only a politician, again either party, is allowed to continue making a point, even after being proven wrong.

Many (most?) people apply for a passport without going to a passport office. Post office. Court house. The fact that the passport is issued by the state department doesn't contradict posters point.

Regulations are 100% clear. A 16 or 17 year old with correct ID doesn't require parental permission or awareness.

I'm not sure if you're having trouble reading or just don't believe it. In what world does imaginary conversations trump the written word?

Again--Larger font in case you're having trouble reading.

If you have your own identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport by yourself,.....If you do not have a current ID, you must show at least one parent knows that you are applying for a passport

The requirement of one parent awareness only applies if the 16 year old lacks ID.

Some posters refuse to admit their mistakes. I sort of understand a poster who drops out of a thread under those circumstances.

Another thing you need is a letter from the parents allowing you to sign for any medical procedure that is needed. Very important. Years ago we use to travel with our grandson. We always had his passport (even when traveling in country) a letter signed and notarized by both of his parents allowing him to travel with us and another letter allowing us to sign for any medical emergency. A couple of times our grandson was pulled aside and asked questions about where we were going etc. Thankfully we never needed the letter for medical emergencies...