Internet while sailing in Alaska

Hello all ! We are getting ready for our Alaska sailing on 08/04/2017, I just got an offer today to pre buy internet/data for a 20% off and here are my questions:

1) Is it worth to buy it ahead of time, is it a real saving (we are Diamond and also will be sailing in a Grand Suite this time, will that give us any connection freebies or savings later on)

2) Is there a way to buy connection for just one equipment and share it with the others?

3) As Alaska is US, we have unlimited data with ATT, will it be available while on sea?

Thank you in advance for any info or advice :)

Counting the days!!

Elena

You can buy a one device package and use that package for any number of devices, as long as only one is logged in at a time.

Cellular data from a land tower will not be available once you are several miles out to sea.

Your Diamond discount is EITHER one free continuous 24-hour period OR $20 off a package.

Onboard prices here:

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/content/uploads/Voom.pdf

You can buy a one device package and use that package for any number of devices, as long as only one is logged in at a time.

Cellular data from a land tower will not be available once you are several miles out to sea.

Your Diamond discount is EITHER one free continuous 24-hour period OR $20 off a package.

Onboard prices here:

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/content/uploads/Voom.pdf

Thank you Clarea! All I needed to know. :)

No VOOM related perk for being in a GS. Use your D coupons on sea days and cell data while in port.

This is what I would do, too. I was not Diamond yet on our Alaska cruise. However, using my Verizon plan I was able to do a Live thread on CC.

Also, there are lots of places with wifi, including the library near the port in Juneau. [i used that] .

Check this link for info on the ports. this is for Juneau, but you can click on ports to find the ports you will visit.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/juneau.html

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Thanks to eleang for raising this.

Not sure how long your cruise is but as Diamond you each have 24 hours continuous free. So that would cover two days.

We sail Alaska soon too with free roaming for data and voice using AT&T.

According to their map, AT&T seems to have good coverage around ISP, Ketchikan and Juneau.

I don't know which route the cruise ships take, but assuming we sail in sight of land along Chatham Straight to ISP and Nichols Channel to Ketchikan, could it be possible to pick up a land tower?

We (on our cruise) only arrive at those two ports after lunch time.

On land, wifi or mobile data would suffice.

I don't know which route the cruise ships take, but assuming we sail in sight of land along Chatham Straight to ISP and Nichols Channel to Ketchikan, could it be possible to pick up a land tower?

Very unlikely. We didn't pick up any signal until about 10 miles out from Juneau.

I had two free internet packages on the Oasis and Allure while in an OS. Is it different for GS or other ships?

Yes, the Sky Class perks are only on Oasis and Quantum class ships. GS guests would have free internet on Oasis and Quantum class too.