Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Mine and Halo's trainer is going to have us work on him going on command on a potty pad. Same concept Roz does with the turn with Horton. If successful, the training to the pad, Halo won't care what is underneath, since he will just see the potty pad.

The advantage of the potty pads, driving to ports is not reasonable, being in Idaho, they may take up room going. But throwing them away after use, clears up space for souvenirs.

Linda and Halo

Are these "potty pads" the large ones that are purchased at Petco or other pet stores? For Horton, they would have to have very strong tape on the back to adhere them to the ground because he's a "spinner" before he goes potty. He has to turn a few times before he can relieve himself and whatever is beneath his feet [unless it's somehow enclosed] will be moved around beneath him.

When I use filler in the box, it must be almost to the top allowing for Horton's displacement of it, as he spins. The crew NEVER fills it enough! Which is why I ask for the bag to be left on the veranda near the box.

All this talk about the most time consuming and probing question asked by my fellow passengers....."WHERE DOES HE GO TO THE BATHROOM?" If I had a dollar for every time I'm asked that question......It would certainly pay for a dinner in one of their fine dining restaurants onboard!!! :D

I've been meaning to tell you all about my friend Pat who has applied for a CCI hearing dog and was interviewed at the Orlando campus - they now train hearing dogs there and not just in California. Her concerns include being nervous about handling a service dog in public places and not being hassled. We had brunch last Saturday to talk about dogs and deaf-people stuff.

I haven't had many problems (but then again I have an obvious disability). I am sure that everyone would agree that having the service dog by far out weighs any hassles. I hope your friend goes ahead and gets the dog; she won't regret it.

Dianne

I don't know what size the balconies on Carnival are, but here is a picture of our box on Celebrity (standard width balcony, but longer due to being in a wheelchair accessible cabin). There was plenty of room for the box.

I have requested sod, but have never received it. We have had wood chips and on our last cruise they used a very fine feathery mulch. Henri did not like it (I think because her feet would sink into it). It also would blow out of the box if it was windy. Our cabin steward wetted it down with water and that solved all of the problems.

I took artificial grass with us on our Panama Canal cruise - we put it in the box over the wood chips and Henri promptly laid down on it! It was cheap grass and not very think. I think she thought it was a blanket.

Dianneenhance

Our poor doggies, they really have to use whatever life brings them, don't they? Grass and mulch have been fine for Raylene but she (and I) didn't like those wood shavings on Celebrity that blow around everywhere.

We were in our RV for two months this summer, and several RV parks in the desert were all white gravel rocks everywhere. So she used what was there. One place had green AstroTurf at the campsite, and it surprised me that she used it without hesitating. I've seen her use dirt or sand, too. So I don't worry much anymore - she will go anywhere on any surface if she hears the command, even though there's nothing better than a field of mowed green grass.

I don't know what size the balconies on Carnival are, but here is a picture of our box on Celebrity (standard width balcony, but longer due to being in a wheelchair accessible cabin). There was plenty of room for the box.

I have requested sod, but have never received it. We have had wood chips and on our last cruise they used a very fine feathery mulch. Henri did not like it (I think because her feet would sink into it). It also would blow out of the box if it was windy. Our cabin steward wetted it down with water and that solved all of the problems.

I took artificial grass with us on our Panama Canal cruise - we put it in the box over the wood chips and Henri promptly laid down on it! It was cheap grass and not very think. I think she thought it was a blanket.

Dianneenhance

Dianne, thank you so much for this great visual.

My DH would tell people who would ask, "where does he go potty", that the dog is trained to hold-it-in for the entire cruise.......I used to smack him when he'd say this!!! :rolleyes:

I've been meaning to tell you all about my friend Pat who has applied for a CCI hearing dog and was interviewed at the Orlando campus - they now train hearing dogs there and not just in California. Her concerns include being nervous about handling a service dog in public places and not being hassled. We had brunch last Saturday to talk about dogs and deaf-people stuff.

So right in cue as we are being seated, a man (owner, manager or dishwasher, who knows) hustles over to our table and mutters something at me. I had to get him to repeat it twice so I could read his lips, and he was saying, "The dog has to stay on the floor!" I just looked at him and answered, "Of course!"

I can't imagine that a lot of 70-lb Labradors settle themselves for brunch on their banquettes, but in Florida the restaurant staffers probably see it all, including people feeding their fake "service dogs" at the table. I've seen it myself.

So I didn't get offended, but Pat said, "See? That's the kind of people I'd be worried about." But I told her CCI will give her dog (and her) great training and she'll quickly learn how to roll with whatever comes.

We have been told that the "average" wait time for a hearing dog in Orlando once you are on the waiting list is only 6 months.

We have been told that the "average" wait time for a hearing dog in Orlando once you are on the waiting list is only 6 months.

Wow, that's great. I waited 2 years for Brenda [i applied in the summer of 2000 and didn't get her until November of 2002.] I applied for a Successor Dog in 2010 and, because they wanted me to be matched with Horton, I waited a year for him because he was such a goof-ball about the re-call, but a genius at everything else.....they kept him an extra few months. I was put into a "side-placement", where we were the only kids in the class. CCI didn't want me to be without a Service Dog so long! It was a very trying time for me.

And, see, good things come to all who wait.....

Dianne, thank you so much for this great visual.

My DH would tell people who would ask, "where does he go potty", that the dog is trained to hold-it-in for the entire cruise.......I used to smack him when he'd say this!!! :rolleyes:

Lol we could come up with a lot of good ones! Definitely the #1 question we are asked by far.

Dianne

Wexler absolutely despises that fake grass!!! He would rather have anything but that. I'm looking into this place in Miami that does doggy sod. I think it's a place like Roz has for Horton at her work. I'm going to see if they will deliver a piece of sod to the ship. I suppose I'll have to fight with the access dept. Not looking forward to that. I'm not sure if they will allow it but they can't seem to be bothered getting what we request.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Are these "potty pads" the large ones that are purchased at Petco or other pet stores? For Horton, they would have to have very strong tape on the back to adhere them to the ground because he's a "spinner" before he goes potty. He has to turn a few times before he can relieve himself and whatever is beneath his feet [unless it's somehow enclosed] will be moved around beneath him.

When I use filler in the box, it must be almost to the top allowing for Horton's displacement of it, as he spins. The crew NEVER fills it enough! Which is why I ask for the bag to be left on the veranda near the box.

All this talk about the most time consuming and probing question asked by my fellow passengers....."WHERE DOES HE GO TO THE BATHROOM?" If I had a dollar for every time I'm asked that question......It would certainly pay for a dinner in one of their fine dining restaurants onboard!!! :D

Yes, those are the pads. Didn't even think about "spinners". Halo doesn't spin, but he also doesn't like to go anywhere but his back yard. He is VERY particular with his business.

Linda and Halo

I believe our neighbor got his CCI Hearing dog from Orlando. It was not long at all from when he told us to when he was off to training with Rider. He is such a goofy teenager, right now! Love him.

I got to meet one of my nephew dogs this week. A Golden Retriever/Doodle! Carson. OMD, he is 18 months old and a train wreck. He is so smart. He opens the sliding glass door, clears any flat surface and is always looking at us like "Did you see me? Did you see what I did?" Then there is that gentle side of him. His great grandma lives with him. She is 92 years old and in frail health. He comes in the house like a hurricane, slides to a stop by her chair and kisses her feet. Although he does try to clear her table next to her chair. He is a hoot.

I believe our neighbor got his CCI Hearing dog from Orlando. It was not long at all from when he told us to when he was off to training with Rider. He is such a goofy teenager, right now! Love him.

I got to meet one of my nephew dogs this week. A Golden Retriever/Doodle! Carson. OMD, he is 18 months old and a train wreck. He is so smart. He opens the sliding glass door, clears any flat surface and is always looking at us like "Did you see me? Did you see what I did?" Then there is that gentle side of him. His great grandma lives with him. She is 92 years old and in frail health. He comes in the house like a hurricane, slides to a stop by her chair and kisses her feet. Although he does try to clear her table next to her chair. He is a hoot.

That's great that you get to meet a CCI dog! Now you can see how awesome they are.

We just had a friend here that has a hearing dog. Yesterday she didn't hear a truck backing up behind her and the dog alerted her twice and maybe saved her life!!! Incredible! ❤️

Wexler absolutely despises that fake grass!!! He would rather have anything but that. I'm looking into this place in Miami that does doggy sod. I think it's a place like Roz has for Horton at her work. I'm going to see if they will deliver a piece of sod to the ship. I suppose I'll have to fight with the access dept. Not looking forward to that. I'm not sure if they will allow it but they can't seem to be bothered getting what we request.

Cindy, you are brilliant. I didn't even think about calling Matt with "Doggy and The City" [this is the company that provides a 5x5 wooden box; delivers Horton's sod every two weeks, removing the old and replacing it with new, fresh grass.] In the 5 years I've used them, they've never missed a delivery.

I wonder, since I'm only cruising out of L.A. these days, would he deliver the sod to the ship [day of debarkation?] He would have to "tag" it with my name, cabin number, ship, etc. And either meet me at the dock or give it to a dock worker and have it treated just like luggage. I would leave the sod behind, when the cruise is over. It's such a great idea.

How genius. He bills my credit card every month, he would just add the cost of the sod and delivery when I cruise.

I just hung up the phone with Matt's partner and he said he's going to run it by Matt and have him call me back. I told him that the ship would provide the box, I just want the sod delivered to either Long Beach or San Pedro. It's really nice grass and stays healthy for the full two weeks that I have it. A one week cruise would be no problem at all. Since Horton is a big dog he uses 3 strips of grass. A smaller dog would require just one or two.

When he calls back I'll let you know what he says. I would have to call the Special Needs Dept. of the ship to give them a "heads-up" so they can email the ship to expect the sod delivery. Most importantly is the labeling of the grass and the timing of the delivery. I pay $80.00 a month for the box/grass and upkeep. I don't know what he would charge for just the grass and delivery? I'll let you know.

Cindy, I asked if he knows of any businesses who do this type of delivery to cruise terminals out of Calif., he said he's NEVER heard of it.

That's great that you get to meet a CCI dog! Now you can see how awesome they are.

We just had a friend here that has a hearing dog. Yesterday she didn't hear a truck backing up behind her and the dog alerted her twice and maybe saved her life!!! Incredible! ❤️

Isn't that amazing!

Cindy, you are brilliant. I didn't even think about calling Matt with "Doggy and The City" [this is the company that provides a 5x5 wooden box; delivers Horton's sod every two weeks, removing the old and replacing it with new, fresh grass.] In the 5 years I've used them, they've never missed a delivery.

I wonder, since I'm only cruising out of L.A. these days, would he deliver the sod to the ship [day of debarkation?] He would have to "tag" it with my name, cabin number, ship, etc. And either meet me at the dock or give it to a dock worker and have it treated just like luggage. I would leave the sod behind, when the cruise is over. It's such a great idea.

How genius. He bills my credit card every month, he would just add the cost of the sod and delivery when I cruise.

I just hung up the phone with Matt's partner and he said he's going to run it by Matt and have him call me back. I told him that the ship would provide the box, I just want the sod delivered to either Long Beach or San Pedro. It's really nice grass and stays healthy for the full two weeks that I have it. A one week cruise would be no problem at all. Since Horton is a big dog he uses 3 strips of grass. A smaller dog would require just one or two.

When he calls back I'll let you know what he says. I would have to call the Special Needs Dept. of the ship to give them a "heads-up" so they can email the ship to expect the sod delivery. Most importantly is the labeling of the grass and the timing of the delivery. I pay $80.00 a month for the box/grass and upkeep. I don't know what he would charge for just the grass and delivery? I'll let you know.

Cindy, I asked if he knows of any businesses who do this type of delivery to cruise terminals out of Calif., he said he's NEVER heard of it.

Sounds like Matt needs to start working with ALL the cruise ships sailing out of CA!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

What a cute story. I love the Golden-Doodles. I wouldn't mind having one as my next Service Dog. I would want a boy and he'd have to be a big boy!!! :)

Sounds like Matt needs to start working with ALL the cruise ships sailing out of CA!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Barb, isn't it a great idea. All the ship would have to do is make the box, put it on your patio or wherever it's going to be, deliver the grass to the potty box, have a maintenance person come and lay it in the box [i could lay the grass in the box and I'm not that strong.] The sod comes rolled-up in plastic bags, easy to handle. The ship would store the bags and use it when they're removing the soiled grass.

If you're cruising for more than a 3 week period the grass might become problematic. That's another discussion.

I called the place this morning and the phone number isn't in service 😣. My great idea just went down the drain. It's wierd cuz when I look them up, they have ads everywhere. But I got the idea from you Roz!!! I will have to do some more research I guess.

I called the place this morning and the phone number isn't in service . My great idea just went down the drain. It's wierd cuz when I look them up, they have ads everywhere. But I got the idea from you Roz!!! I will have to do some more research I guess.

Let me know what you find out and I'll let you know when Matt calls me back. It's sure sounds doable to me.

And, as I think about it, the box that Matt delivers is 5x5, the box that the ships use are probably 3x5 or 4x5, so 2 pieces of sod would fill the box and would be enough even for Horton. A 3x5 box would really be suitable for most dogs.

Let me know what you find out and I'll let you know when Matt calls me back. It's sure sounds doable to me.

And, as I think about it, the box that Matt delivers is 5x5, the box that the ships use are probably 3x5 or 4x5, so 2 pieces of sod would fill the box and would be enough even for Horton. A 3x5 box would really be suitable for most dogs.

This makes so much sense. I have requested sod (and Celebrity's website states that they provide sod upon request if leaving from a US port) and we have never received it. So simple!

Dianne

This makes so much sense. I have requested sod (and Celebrity's website states that they provide sod upon request if leaving from a US port) and we have never received it. So simple!

Dianne

We haven't either. Holland America has done sod, no problem. I just don't get why Celebrity can't even though they say they can. I gave up and started asking for mulch, and got sawdust and wood shavings. You never know what will be in the box when you board.