Rome: Monti hotel vs. near Pantheon

pompeii

We are staying for 2 days in Rome post-cruise the beginning of December and currently have the hotel Monti Palace booked for two nights. I had read about the Monti neighborhood and thought it looked like a great area to stay. But now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if we should choose a hotel near the Pantheon.

We will want to tour the Colosseum/Forum area, the Pantheon/Trevi/Spanish Steps, and the Vatican. We like to walk between sites if at all possible, but will take the bus or metro if needed. We'll probably get a shared transfer from port to the hotel, and a cab to the airport, so public transportation for that is not important.

Are we fine where we are, or should we switch neighhborhoods?

We are staying for 2 days in Rome post-cruise the beginning of December and currently have the hotel Monti Palace booked for two nights. I had read about the Monti neighborhood and thought it looked like a great area to stay. But now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if we should choose a hotel near the Pantheon.

We will want to tour the Colosseum/Forum area, the Pantheon/Trevi/Spanish Steps, and the Vatican. We like to walk between sites if at all possible, but will take the bus or metro if needed. We'll probably get a shared transfer from port to the hotel, and a cab to the airport, so public transportation for that is not important.

Are we fine where we are, or should we switch neighhborhoods?

Monti is not a bad area. You are very close to the Colosseum, the Republican and Imperial Forums, Palatine Hill, the Capitoline Museum, Trajan's Column, etc. You're about a 20 minute walk (at a good pace) from either the Pantheon or Trevi Fountain. Your hotel looks like it's very close to the Cavour metro stop, which you could use to get to the Vatican: At Cavour take the Blue line one stop to Termini, change to the Red line (direction Battistini) and get off at either Ottaviano for St. Peters or at Cipro for the Vatican museum.

Monti used to be known as a lower-rent area with a lot of university students, cheaper (and more varied) eats, etc. I'm not sure that's so true anymore -- there's virtually no area in the Centro Storico that is 'undiscovered' by tourists. But it does have a nice character. On one visit to Rome, I stayed not too far from your hotel for 9 nights. I mainly wanted to focus on the ancient sites. I did find myself going to the Pantheon and Navona area on quite a few evenings; I just like the feel of that area. So since then, I stay nearer those neighborhoods.

Thanks for the insight. Monti sounded like a charming neighborhood with personality, well located but not too touristy, which is why I chose it. If we move to the Pantheon area, would you consider that to be walking distance to the Vatican as well as the Colosseum? That would be a plus. The rate at the Albergo Del Senato is €175 per night for a superior double and €140 for a standard double, which is a bit of a splurge but not unaffordable.

Thanks for the insight. Monti sounded like a charming neighborhood with personality, well located but not too touristy, which is why I chose it. If we move to the Pantheon area, would you consider that to be walking distance to the Vatican as well as the Colosseum? That would be a plus. The rate at the Albergo Del Senato is €175 per night for a superior double and €140 for a standard double, which is a bit of a splurge but not unaffordable.

The Albergo del Senato is my favorite hotel in Rome. If you can get it at that price, then jump on it. (That's my recommendation!) I haven't seen prices that low there in years. Even for December it's a great rate....

Colosseum would be about 20 minutes. The Vatican would be a longer hike, maybe 35-40 minutes.

Note that in early December it's possible you'll get a rainy day. There is a taxi rank right beside the Pantheon that you could use to avoid a longer, rainy walk -- a taxi to the Vatican would be in the range of 10 euro.

One other question.....do you know of a discount code for Albergo del Senato? I emailed them but they said the website prices are the best available. A couple of other hotels I emailed provided a discount code, but not this one.

I've always gotten the best price working directly through the hotel -- no discount code.

I think the Superior rooms are slightly larger (with the caveat that most European hotel rooms are small). They may be ones with a view. I'm not completely certain but you could ask the hotel.

Every time I've stayed except once, I have traveled solo. The room I love, which overlooks the Piazza, is a deluxe single (I think). On one visit I treated my mother and requested a "special" room if possible -- we were given a wonderful room with a large terrace (on the side of the building but toward the front) that was much appreciated by my mother, who couldn't walk the miles and miles that I normally do in Rome.

Thank you so much for all your insight. I have been communicating with the hotel directly, and just emailed them to book a superior double room. I requested a terrace if possible and she replied that she couldn't guarantee it but would note my request. So we're good. Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to add another vote for the Monti area. We stayed there last fall and had a wonderful time exploring and using the Metro at the Cavour station. As stated previously, lots of things to do and see there. Where ever you finally decide to stay, have a wonderful time.

Thanks for the comments on the Monti area. Maybe we'll walking around that area after touring the Colosseum, poke around a little, find a nice restaurant.....that way we'll get to experience it even if we aren't staying there.

Any suggestions on where we might want to go?

Thanks for the comments on the Monti area. Maybe we'll walking around that area after touring the Colosseum, poke around a little, find a nice restaurant.....that way we'll get to experience it even if we aren't staying there.

Any suggestions on where we might want to go?

We had a wonderful meal for dinner at a family owned restaurant named La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali which isn't far from the Colosseum (maybe 2 blocks). Reservations are suggested. A good area to walk and take in the sights.

Is the Monti area near Termini?

We were in Rome for a week this last month and stayed in the Piazza Navona area.. We didn't get to spend time at the Colosseum area. Next June I have Rome on our itinerary for 3 nights and hope to get to explore that area more. We are bringing my in-laws along, whom never been out of US.

We will take the train from Venice to Termini station (I assume that is the station to go to from Venice) for 3 days in Romes. Afterwards, take the train to FCO for the next part of our trip.

My in-laws said the (2) things they would like to see are the Colosseum and the Vatican. My thought is to stay at a place near Termini.

I know nothing about Monti or the area near Termini, so any opinions are appreciated.

Is the Monti area near Termini?

We were in Rome for a week this last month and stayed in the Piazza Navona area.. We didn't get to spend time at the Colosseum area. Next June I have Rome on our itinerary for 3 nights and hope to get to explore that area more. We are bringing my in-laws along, whom never been out of US.

We will take the train from Venice to Termini station (I assume that is the station to go to from Venice) for 3 days in Romes. Afterwards, take the train to FCO for the next part of our trip.

My in-laws said the (2) things they would like to see are the Colosseum and the Vatican. My thought is to stay at a place near Termini.

I know nothing about Monti or the area near Termini, so any opinions are appreciated.

Monti is roughly the area wedged in between Piazza Venezia and the Colosseum. It's not far from Termini, but it's NOT Termini. (Much more charming.)

Rome is easy to get around. If you are staying for 3 days, there's no real reason to choose to stay in the very charmless area around Termini. You can get around on foot, by bus, by metro, by taxi -- none of which cost very much. Get hold of a Rick Steves Rome guide for basic help in navigating around.

Monti is still a bit cheaper than some areas (like the Pantheon, Trevi, Campo dei Fiori neighborhoods), which is one reason why it's suddenly become more popular.

I've been to the Taverna dei Fori Imperiali (recommended above) several times but it has become well known now and it is very crowded. Do make reservations if you want to go there.

Monti is roughly the area wedged in between Piazza Venezia and the Colosseum. It's not far from Termini, but it's NOT Termini. (Much more charming.)

Rome is easy to get around. If you are staying for 3 days, there's no real reason to choose to stay in the very charmless area around Termini. You can get around on foot, by bus, by metro, by taxi -- none of which cost very much. Get hold of a Rick Steves Rome guide for basic help in navigating around.

Monti is still a bit cheaper than some areas (like the Pantheon, Trevi, Campo dei Fiori neighborhoods), which is one reason why it's suddenly become more popular.

I've been to the Taverna dei Fori Imperiali (recommended above) several times but it has become well known now and it is very crowded. Do make reservations if you want to go there.

Thank you for this. I googled it. I rented an apt this morning on Via Napoli (before I saw your response)- is this an ok area? I have time to cancel. I will look at the area between Piazza Venezia and Colosseum.

When we were in Rome last month, we walked from Colosseum to the Piazza della Repubblica area (it's a circular roundabout area) - I thought that was a very nice area and would like to explore it some more.

Thank you for this. I googled it. I rented an apt this morning on Via Napoli (before I saw your response)- is this an ok area? I have time to cancel. I will look at the area between Piazza Venezia and Colosseum.

When we were in Rome last month, we walked from Colosseum to the Piazza della Repubblica area (it's a circular roundabout area) - I thought that was a very nice area and would like to explore it some more.

You're near Termini but it's not a bad area (just not as charming as many of the other historic neighborhoods of Rome).

Piazza Reppublica was once upon a time part of a large Imperial Roman baths complex built by Emperor Diocletian. Part of it was later made into a church by Michelangelo and you should definitely find time to visit it (with some notes explaining what the original structure looked like). The church name is Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri (Saint Mary of the Angels and Martyrs). You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_degli_Angeli_e_dei_Martiri

There is also a good museum nearby, the Museo Na*z*ionale al Palazzo Massimo alle Terme. Rick Steves' Rome guide includes a self-guided tour with the museum highlights included.

You're near Termini but it's not a bad area (just not as charming as many of the other historic neighborhoods of Rome).

Piazza Reppublica was once upon a time part of a large Imperial Roman baths complex built by Emperor Diocletian. Part of it was later made into a church by Michelangelo and you should definitely find time to visit it (with some notes explaining what the original structure looked like). The church name is Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri (Saint Mary of the Angels and Martyrs). You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_degli_Angeli_e_dei_Martiri

There is also a good museum nearby, the Museo Na*z*ionale al Palazzo Massimo alle Terme. Rick Steves' Rome guide includes a self-guided tour with the museum highlights included.

Thank you for the 411.

I googled the apt address - not the prettiest street but it's close to a lot of places. 200+ reviews on this apt and it is well liked. So I hope for the best.

We stayed next to Piazza Navona last month. Great location, but ready to explorer a different part of Rome.

Just a word of advice. We were accosted 2 years ago at the Termini station by a group of gypsies. Crowded in on us, polite as could be. Felt one hand in my pocket, grabbed it and twisted. Yelled Politizia. They left in a hurry. However, it seems to be a haven for these types. So caveat emptor.

I concur about Hotel Grifo. We stayed there last fall and enjoyed the hotel staff and the surrounding neighborhood. We were within walking distance to the Colosseum,Forum and Palatine Hill. The Cavour train station was approx 2 blocks away. It was an excellent location for us.

• 5 months later...
Albergo Del Senato is my favorite. Love the rooftop bar after a long day sightseeing!

I agree wholeheartedly! We spent two wonderful nights here after our cruise in December, in one of their rooms on the 5th floor with a balcony facing the Pantheon. DH and I both agree that it ranks way up there as one of our favorite hotel stays ever!