Will Empress Stay Or Go

Will Empress Stay or Go  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Will Empress Stay or Go

• If Cuba goes so does Empress
    • They will keep her for 3/4 night cruises

Speculation .

Majesty and Empress leaving is just a matter of time. The cost of upkeep of older ships goes up with age and the fares on those ships generally decrease.

Those ships are paid for and the note was a lot less to begin with. Agree that it just a matter of time, but it's not economics. It's wanting something newer and better, the same reason why most get a new car and take on monthly payments of $300+ for five years when the old clunker needs $1000 of work (and probably will next year).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought for sure at least one Vision class ship would be gone in 2019 but with this move, it might be only Empress leaving, again. Well, at least till 2020, when MJ will replaced on the Cuba runs by a Vision class ship.

Perhaps.

But after talking with people on the Empress this past week, I doubt it would happen that soon. Apparently there are demands that Royal stops in more Cuban ports- which means more cities need to have port areas that are capable of porting a ship- size, depth, buildings, etc.

Given that the original reasons (which were both confirmed and denied by different people) for the Empress- that she's small enough to work with- my theory is that she will stay around longer as Cuban ports are developed for the larger ships.

As for the Vision ships that are being sold- I do get that point. More because those ships can offer more return with higher fees that they can ask for. It would be easy to maintain a fairly high cost point from the current Empress sailings by just making the ship nicer for the passengers. Perhaps the proposed sales will change- who knows.

But it appears that Royal sees a big opportunity in Cuba, and perhaps they have some insight on what is being changed in the rules that means they can stay sailing to Cuba. I'm not going to post why I think the changes are being made- but a few people have given us the same opinion- both in Cuba and here. Which is pretty bad.

Those ships are paid for and the note was a lot less to begin with. Agree that it just a matter of time, but it's not economics. It's wanting something newer and better, the same reason why most get a new car and take on monthly payments of $300+ for five years when the old clunker needs $1000 of work (and probably will next year).

None of Royals ships are paid for like you buy a car. They are all used for collateral on new notes or leased back by a shell company.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

It's slightly different for RCI. Unlike a personal situation with a decision to buy a car that simply needs to work, for RCI, the car needs to generate revenue to pay the bills and make a profit. The net revenue on a newer ship is higher even if you have monthly payments for the debt.

which according to the Majesty announcement, may be May 2019.

It appears both Empress and Majesty will stay and will do Cuba runs. It's popular and profitable enough. It is only a matter of time before more lines run more ships to Cuba.

It appears both Empress and Majesty will stay and will do Cuba runs. It's popular and profitable enough.

Till May 2019. Once the newness wears off and becomes more routine, it will be a bit tougher to command the premium of today's sailings. The increased capacity will also drive prices down.

Till May 2019. Once the newness wears off and becomes more routine, it will be a bit tougher to command the premium of today's sailings. The increased capacity will also drive prices down.

Demand most likely won't be decreasing. Increased capacity might slightly drive down prices. Until Cuba expands the ports, both those ships will remain with RCI. Most likely past 2019.

I still think the Empress will stay around to help develop new ports all around Cuba. With the changes to the 3/4 night cruises- the Majesty will take over the Havana only stops, and the Empress will start adding new ports around the island.

And with that, I bet the demand will stay pretty strong.

Cuba is a big enough island that you can do a 7 night cruise just there.

Demand most likely won't be decreasing.

That's what Tesla keeps saying about their model S - the sales numbers may indicate otherwise. Just like there's only so many folks willing to stay tethered to an AC outlet with their $100K car, there's only so many people that are willing to go on Empress to Cuba at $100+pp pd in an inside cabin.

That's what Tesla keeps saying about their model S - the sales numbers may indicate otherwise. Just like there's only so many folks willing to stay tethered to an AC outlet with their $100K car, there's only so many people that are willing to go on Empress to Cuba at $100+pp pd in an inside cabin.

You wouldn't believe how many Teslas are in Cocoa Beach. SpaceX must give employee discount

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I just got back from Cuba. And Loved the ship. Crew was great and the itinerary for a 5 day cruise was just right.

I have been on a lot of the BIG ships and forgot how nice it was to sail on a small ship where you could walk from one end to the other in 5 minutes. Get to know the staff. And not sharing a ship with over 2000 of our friends. Don't get me wrong. The Big ships have lots to offer, that I like. But it is nice now and then to go small. ;p