Different Person On A Cruise?

TahitiRoses

I couldn't find this topic, so let me know if this has been posted before!

Are you different on a cruise? Do you let go? Do you become someone else? Do you dress a certain way or use more/less makeup/jewelry/clothes than you normally do when not cruising? Most of these people you will never see again; so, on a cruise, are you someone new?

~ Tahiti

I have a "Cruise Wardrobe" that is nicer than my everyday wear. I live in Florida where casual is the norm and in the summer I wear a bathing suit as formal wear. It's nice to "dressUP" and even nicer to see others in their finery. And, oh yes, I wear shoes all day while cruising.

~Doris~

I like to be different on a cruise...it's a special event for us (only 4 cruises...5th coming up).

I do wear different clothes...I like to "dress up"...even my casual wear is much more "dressy" than at home (where I stay in p.j.'s all day if I can get away with it).

I wear make up and jewelery most days...something reserved for weddings and very special nights out at home.

I am not much of a "girly girl"...with make up, jewelry, clothes that match and shoes that co-ordinate...but a cruise brings that out in me!

I'm also more open and outgoing on a cruise...everyone is there to enjoy themselves so I feel like I can be more outgoing myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Boring!!!:eek:

When we cruise we love to fake people out. We will go out of our way to be someone else! Last cruise we were doctors, once we worked for and undisclosed federal agency... As you say these people will never know who you are or what you do... Besides if you tell them your travel agents they bug the crap out of you...:)

This time I think we will be a professional golfer and wife, people eat it up...

This is you captain speaking, or is it!!!:D Enjoy C.G.

• Like 1

I never thought about this..I always thought maybe I'm just weird...I also have "cruising clothes." I wear jeans alot at home or my work uniform..I started buying nicer clothes when we started cruising..nice tops and capris that match..with shoes that match..haha..each year I added another outfit..a couple of skirts and more shoes that match..haha..but, I started even at home to wear some of my crusing clothes in the summer:p I also am more relaxed on a cruise...you don't have a time schedule to follow...I enjoy that...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, definitely. My current job is highly stressful, which causes the resulting neuroticism to carry over into my personal life. I also tend to be somewhat shy and self-conscious. On my first cruise, I was the opposite. I had no trouble completely relaxing, initiating conversations with new people, and dancing in public. Not necessarily the life of the party, but really able to get into the atmosphere. As a result, I was able to have tons of fun on my first cruise, and I'm now thinking about my next one. Hope it goes over equally well or better.

I relax, which is something I NEVER do at home. DH will often ask me over and over again if I am okay or if I am sick, because he is not used to seeing me relaxed! That is about the only way I am different on a cruise versus at home.

I saw a movie once where the characters would become different people each time they met someone new. I found this hysterical, especially in the final scene when all the people they had met during their journey all wound up in the same room and they had to try to remember who they were to whom at various times. I can just imagine this and think it would be a blast. But I'm a crappy liar so....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I get to wear SUMMER CLOTHES! I'm from Vancouver, and though its mid June, I woke up to 12 degree celsius today. It's nice to be able to ditch cold weather clothes... I feel happier and am probably a nicer person just being in a warmer place wearing looser clothing!

I'm also healthier on a cruise, just the pure ease of eating well with grilled/steamed vegetables and fish everywhere makes it a easy choice that I always end up going with.

I just let the everyday worries like combing my hair & putting on make up during the day, completely go. One afternoon I came back to the cabin, caught sight of myself in the mirror and said "Oh my word, have I really gone out looking like THIS!" :eek:

It is wonderful....ahhhhhhh! I hear the sea calling me.....:o

When we cruise we love to fake people out. We will go out of our way to be someone else! Last cruise we were doctors, once we worked for and undisclosed federal agency... As you say these people will never know who you are or what you do... Besides if you tell them your travel agents they bug the crap out of you...:)

This time I think we will be a professional golfer and wife, people eat it up...

That is too funny. I do the same thing...on one of my cruises, our entire group were doctors, and our tablemates were shocked...don't know why, but they were impressed...lol

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thats pretty cool. You ever try and pic an obscure profession like pro darts player or like the creator of sham wow lol. also, dud anyone ever ask you medical advice when you were a doctor? lol

• 1 year later...

All I have to say is be well prepared if you decide to use a fake persona on a cruise, or you'll probably be busted! Last June on a Mediterranean cruise at the meet and greet we became acquainted with a couple who we saw several more times on the cruise and shared a few meals with them in addition to occasional pre-dinner cocktails. At the meet and greet the guy said he had been an attorney in Philadelphia, but after he retired he became a judge. He introduced the woman he was with as his wife. A few days later he confessed that she was really his girlfriend - I figured it was no big deal to me whether they were married or not. The next thing we learned was that the "daughter" he introduced us to was really his girlfriend's daughter. Again, no biggee. Our shipboard friendship continued to develop pretty normally until one evening he said, "one time HER AND ME went to the beach" and I nearly choked upon hearing his really bad grammar. I've worked in the legal field for about 25 years, and I have NEVER heard a lawyer, much less a judge, make such a gross grammatical error. So when we got back home, I checked him out online through various legal-field websites. You guessed it . . . the whole story was bogus. The guy was never a licensed lawyer in any state and was certainly not a judge in Philadelphia!

I'm still up at 5 am at the latest so that doesn't change. Retirement after 40+ years in the military looms in about 4 months and I don't think it will change then either. I am however far more relaxed when I cruise. If I wasn't it would be wasted money. I set my own agenda. If I want to do something I do it and if I feel a nap coming on then thats the way I go. No rush to the next meeting, no 14 hour days in the office because someone elses oversight just became my panic of the day and no baggy green cloths or black boots to get ready for the next day. I eat better because I have the time to but probably don't get as much exercise as I should. I love meeting knew people that have absolutely nothing to do with my current profession as the majority of my friends are either still in or retired. My wife loves the cruising me and I kind of like that guy as well.

Cute thread.

I used to be a lot more relaxed and laid back on cruises...but now that I'm a mom I'm back to being anxiety mcworrywart while on vacay.

We'll have to sprinkle in some child-free cruises so I can have a week to just chill.

• 2 weeks later...

We did try changing our names once but got faked out when someone was shouting "Jean Claude, Jean Claude" and we were looking all around to see who they were calling.

We gave that idea up after that but I still try to pretend I'm very neat so the room stewards don't talk about me.