whats the first thing you do when you board the ship?

kroozerj

Usually we head straight to our cabin, drop of our bags, call home and get ready for the muster drill.

Our last cruise was the first that we actually boarded the ship early enough for lunch! We had time to roam around and watch other passengers boarding. I liked that. So, we'll likely do that again on the next one.

We always arrive at the port by 10:30 am. After boarding, we go to the buffet for lunch. After lunch, we go to the MDR to check out our dining table for dinner. I then go to the library on board in search of a couple of good boo know s for the week. By this time, our cabin is usually ready, we check out our state room, drop off our carry on cases, then explore the ship as we wait for muster.

Can anyone tell me what exactly is open when you first board? I'm going on my second cruise in a few weeks and wanted to really relax and enjoy (last one was way too short - 3 nights). We we got on, we didn't find much open. Is it because we stopped at the promenade deck? Should be go somewhere else? I'm sailing on the Independence of the Seas. Hints greatly appreciated!

Can anyone tell me what exactly is open when you first board? I'm going on my second cruise in a few weeks and wanted to really relax and enjoy (last one was way too short - 3 nights). We we got on, we didn't find much open. Is it because we stopped at the promenade deck? Should be go somewhere else? I'm sailing on the Independence of the Seas. Hints greatly appreciated!

Most people go to lunch. Sadly, they sit there and occupy tables waiting for their rooms to be ready. We usually eat lunch, then explore the ship. This is the best time to get pictures- few people to obstruct your views and I often get so busy on the cruise, I forget to take them. When our room is ready, we drop off the bags. The bars are open, so if the weather is nice, enjoy a drink on deck.

My wife and I, going on our 7th cruise in 11 days, have developed a nice ritual for the first few hours.

We normally board several hours ahead of time and head straight to our cabin and unpack our hand luggage. We also meet our room steward(s) at this time. For us, time in the cabin at any time during the cruise is a necessary evil, so we unpack properly but quickly.

We then excitedly explore the boat from end to end. We then have a light buffet lunch, do other unpacking if the main luggage has arrived, do the Muster Drill, then race as fast as we can to top deck ready for the sailaway party!

We always just watch the dancing but, this time, we're doing Nutbush ourselves!

The best thing to do, IMO, is to check the paper work in the cabin, telling you the days events and time of life boat drill. Then you can plan your whole day.

john

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If I get on early, get a drink and then head to the Windjammer for lunch. If I get on late, go to my cabin, do a happy dance, drop off my stuff and then proceed to lunch with a drink in hand.

After that, I will call home, explore the ship and wait for muster drill.

• Like 2

I have only been on 1 cruise so far (2nd coming up in June) and I imagine I'll do the same thing that I did on the first :)

Go check out the cabin and drop off carry on bags and then go explore the ship starting at the lowest level working our way to the very top :p Best time to get pics of the ship for sure!

Most people go to lunch. Sadly, they sit there and occupy tables waiting for their rooms to be ready. We usually eat lunch, then explore the ship. This is the best time to get pictures- few people to obstruct your views and I often get so busy on the cruise, I forget to take them. When our room is ready, we drop off the bags. The bars are open, so if the weather is nice, enjoy a drink on deck.

ive seen video tours that must have been when they first got on. no one around.

how do you know when your room is ready? just check the desk every 30 minutes or do they give you buzzers like at restaurants :)

or text you?

• 3 weeks later...

The usual things:

- change out of your travelling clothes

- explore the ship

- attend the sail-away party on deck

- participate in the muster drill

- attend any initial meet & greets as appropriate

• 5 weeks later...

Grab the first drink I see, usually a Drink of the Day, go to the buffet and grab some orange juice for mimosas for the leaving celebration with the champers we bring on board with us. Then to the cabin to drop our stuff off then walk around or find a lounge chair and start sunning. I wear my swimsuit onto the boat.

My wife and I introduce our self's to our cabin steward and drop off our hand carry luggage securing any valuables in our cabin safe. Next stop is the MDR if guests are allowed to choose or at least state a preference for their dining table. We always try to tell the head waiter that if given a choice we would prefer to be seated at a table away from galley doors, waiter stations and the main entrances and exits. Being a little greedy [assuming our other requests were accommodated], I smile and say, 'That's a window table, correct?" We also tell the head waiter that we tend to eat as late as we can when on a cruise and would really rather not be ordering our first course as our table mates are preparing to be served their deserts. That's stressful for both us and any potential table mates. If one is nicely dressed, friendly and non demanding head waiters can make wonderful things happen during this part of the cruise.

We are far from being anti social but for the above reason we enjoy a table for two at the late sitting if open dinning isn't available. A table for two allows us to control the pace of our evening meal. If we get lucky and get everything we've requested its off to any open bar to meet other guests. After a beverage [or three] the long lines at the buffet will have started to disappear making food an option and not a chore. This is the part of the cruise where you want to pickup those single folks seated at a table for two [who finished eating twenty minutes ago] playing with their smart phones and plop them over the side of the ship. No one is a fan of inconsiderate. Makes one wonder if perhaps a little swim will cure them (???????).

Next we find where our life boat station is located. If our bags have found their way to our cabin we'll start unpacking waiting to be mustered to the drill. By now it's likely time for the sail away party. Let the cruise begin!

• Like 1