March in the Mediterranean-weather?

Love2Cruz2015

I think I maybe should have done more research on the weather factor of a March cruise. I'm reading that it will be in the 60's at most of the ports on my itinerary of the Meraviglia. I know it will be good walking around weather, but will it be too cold to take advantage of the pool on deck and the beaches at the ports?:confused:

I was hoping to hit the Blue Grotto waters in Malta and a beach in Palermo...Mondelo or Cefalu....but now I'm thinking it might be too cold to do the pools and the beaches. And my DD won't be able to take advantage of the slides on deck....Rut roh!!

After reading about it this morning, I'm fairly certain March will not be beach/pool weather. This is what living in Florida does to you :o....you forget that it gets cold in other places...lol...March/Spring Break is beautiful weather here and in the Caribbean for swimming...but seems not so much in the MED..so I cancelled it.:(

BUT, I will be sailing Seaside in the summer of 2018,:D in the Caribbean...Meraviglia may have to wait till Summer of 2019.:o

BTW..Cancelling with MSC was very easy, no questions about why.... blah blah...just thank you, your money will be refunded within 5-10 business days.

Sorry to hear that Love2!!!:( I was looking forward to another one of your reviews!!:) I've been doing my homework regarding our future sailing on MSC Musica. After speaking to a friend who has sailed onboard MSC Musica as well as your review of Venice,,we have decided to shoot for a June 25th 2017 sailing with a 3 night pre-cruise stay at the Al Ponte Antico Hotel as well as 2 nights post-cruise. :D

Sorry to hear that Love2!!!:( I was looking forward to another one of your reviews!!:) I've been doing my homework regarding our future sailing on MSC Musica. After speaking to a friend who has sailed onboard MSC Musica as well as your review of Venice,,we have decided to shoot for a June 25th 2017 sailing with a 3 night pre-cruise stay at the Al Ponte Antico Hotel as well as 2 nights post-cruise. :D

That sounds awesome Mike...YOU WILL LOVE VENICE!!...Don't forget to order one of their specialties...Spaghetti con le seppie! BEST meal of the trip...and I ate a lot of good food!!!

I'm going on a Disney cruise in a few weeks and will probably do a review on that one, but it will obviously be in the Disney sub-forum here on CC...not sure if it will be live though as I don't know what kind of internet plans Disney has. :D

And yes, I am a bit bummed about not sailing the Meraviglia in 2018, but I want to be able to enjoy the MED sea as both my DD and I love the ocean....so another time!

That sounds awesome Mike...YOU WILL LOVE VENICE!!...Don't forget to order one of their specialties...Spaghetti con le seppie! BEST meal of the trip...and I ate a lot of good food!!!

I'm going on a Disney cruise in a few weeks and will probably do a review on that one, but it will obviously be in the Disney sub-forum here on CC...not sure if it will be live though as I don't know what kind of internet plans Disney has. :D

And yes, I am a bit bummed about not sailing the Meraviglia in 2018, but I want to be able to enjoy the MED sea as both my DD and I love the ocean....so another time!

You weren't able to re-book for maybe June 2017 Love2?? It's only 3 months later??;)

............. I am a bit bummed about not sailing the Meraviglia in 2018, but I want to be able to enjoy the MED sea as both my DD and I love the ocean....so another time!

You've done the right thing. March in the Med can be very unsettled and cold.

You e definitely made the right decision. It can not only be cold but daylight hours are shorter too. mAy, June and September and even early October are the nicest months for the Med.

Yes, I think I'll aim for June for Med cruises. This last one was is June and the weather could not be more perfect.:D

After reading about it this morning, I'm fairly certain March will not be beach/pool weather. This is what living in Florida does to you :o....you forget that it gets cold in other places...lol...March/Spring Break is beautiful weather here and in the Caribbean for swimming...but seems not so much in the MED..so I cancelled it.:(

BUT, I will be sailing Seaside in the summer of 2018,:D in the Caribbean...Meraviglia may have to wait till Summer of 2019.:o

BTW..Cancelling with MSC was very easy, no questions about why.... blah blah...just thank you, your money will be refunded within 5-10 business days.

Just as well they didn't ask too many questions! I'd have been too embarrassed to admit that I had thought that march in the med = march in the Caribbean.

As previously mentioned in another thread, there is a lot more to the world than just Florida and most of it is a lot safer too. Miami Vice was not called Miami Vice for no reason not to mention all the CSIs!

You e definitely made the right decision. It can not only be cold but daylight hours are shorter too. mAy, June and September and even early October are the nicest months for the Med.

March in the med is perfect as long as you dont want to swim in the sea. Won't Meraviglia have an indoor pool so what's the issue? Problem of visiting June to Sept are the queues for everything and I can be too hot.

We have done West Med cruises in April, October mid-term, early Sept and November (en route to/from the Canaries) and in the East Med in April and early Sept and weather on all occasions except one was perfect.

Not sure if I agree with the day length comment. Taking Rome as a mid Med port the day length on March 17th is 0625 to 1820. Given a typical port time in Rome from 0700 to 1900 with all aboard time of 1830 - how long a day do you want?

Edited by tomvet

Love2, I'm so happy you decided to cancel your Mergavila trip. You were so thrilled that I didn't want to rain on your parade. With not only weather as a consideration, we still haven't gotten to the bottom of the passenger capacity vs Gross tonnage issue and with articles published which states that this ship holds more than the Oasis Class with the smaller size of Freedom class, I'd want that clarification before even considering a sail.

MSC is expanding incredibly quickly with it's new builds. At the very best, this rapid growth will lead to growing pains and we all know what the worst case scenario is. To say MSC is currently a dynamic product would be the understatement and I'm less likely than most to place my blind faith in the future of a company with this growth plan. Then again, I have commitment issues :).

Just as well they didn't ask too many questions! I'd have been too embarrassed to admit that I had thought that march in the med = march in the Caribbean.

As previously mentioned in another thread, there is a lot more to the world than just Florida and most of it is a lot safer too. Miami Vice was not called Miami Vice for no reason not to mention all the CSIs!

Go away tomvet, your posts aren't helpful...just because I don't agree with you on UAE, doesn't meant you should start trolling my threads to input some stupid snark.

Edited by Love2Cruz2015

Love2, I'm so happy you decided to cancel your Mergavila trip. You were so thrilled that I didn't want to rain on your parade. With not only weather as a consideration, we still haven't gotten to the bottom of the passenger capacity vs Gross tonnage issue and with articles published which states that this ship holds more than the Oasis Class with the smaller size of Freedom class, I'd want that clarification before even considering a sail.

MSC is expanding incredibly quickly with it's new builds. At the very best, this rapid growth will lead to growing pains and we all know what the worst case scenario is. To say MSC is currently a dynamic product would be the understatement and I'm less likely than most to place my blind faith in the future of a company with this growth plan. Then again, I have commitment issues :).

It will be interesting to read the first reviews and how they address crowds. I still see myself interested in MSC for Europe cruises as I really enjoyed myself on the Orchestra...but I am open to different ships and don't necessarily need to be on newest so we'll see how the reports come out.:cool:

i'm taking med cruise from rome on 27th March. we're a couple with an infant baby. not looking for too much sea or pool time. will be staying indoors most of the time. our baby doesn't like hot weather and crowded places (as of now). This is my first cruise so dont know but i feel this it the right one for us. what do others feel?

i'm taking med cruise from rome on 27th March. we're a couple with an infant baby. not looking for too much sea or pool time. will be staying indoors most of the time. our baby doesn't like hot weather and crowded places (as of now). This is my first cruise so dont know but i feel this it the right one for us. what do others feel?

I've seen a lot of couples with babies in buggies (strollers) who seemed to be having a really enjoyable cruise. Expect to receive a lot of attention as people ooh and aaah over your little one (people like me, that is, who love to see beautiful babies onboard)! The crew, especially, make a real fuss over little ones, too!

Sounds like it's right up your alley. I would have it kept it if it were just me but I know my DD wants to experience the pools. I'm originally from NY, so cooler Spring weather wouldn't have bothered me at all.

And I agree with Bea, the crew especially love kids and babies, as they are away from their own months at a time. I started cruising with my DD when she was 2 years old and she got a lot of attention from crew on all the ships we went on. :D

• 1 month later...

I am sort of regretting cancelling this cruise. I have accepted the weather will not be pool/beach weather, but it will probably be great touring weather. there is a nice itinerary on the Musica that starts in South of Spain that goes to Sicily, Malta and then north to Croatia and Venice. I know Venice will be cold but the others should be comfortable sweater weather.

The price is outrageously inexpensive and I like the itinerary better than the Meraviglia. Hmmmmm :rolleyes::o:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Boo! Well this is disappointing. We have the Med booked for March 22 on NCL and I was just looking at a shorter MSC cruise on March 24. I had read so many trip reports in the summer months where people said it was unbearably hot so I just assumed March would be better. I just started poking around to see if the Splendida was a nice ship and stumbled across this thread. Now what do I do???

I was in Rome and Venice the last week of March/first week of April this year and it was very warm in both and the crowds were not overwhelming. My coat never came out of the suitcase. We are taking a med cruise the first week of April this year. Hoping to again beat the crowds and enjoy pleasant weather rather than the extremely hot summer. Prices were great too.

I was in Rome and Venice the last week of March/first week of April this year and it was very warm in both and the crowds were not overwhelming. My coat never came out of the suitcase. We are taking a med cruise the first week of April this year. Hoping to again beat the crowds and enjoy pleasant weather rather than the extremely hot summer. Prices were great too.

Thanks! That makes me feel better. Still not sure what we're going to do. The price for 7 nights on Splendida is amazing!