Drinks Prices

HTFCcruiser

About to have my first Cunard experience, first cruise in a while without a drinks package; will I be able to drink like a Trappist Monk or forced to drink like Methodist Minister?

Couple of direct questions how much is a pint and secondly an average glass of wine?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

About to have my first Cunard experience, first cruise in a while without a drinks package; will I be able to drink like a Trappist Monk or forced to drink like Methodist Minister?

Couple of direct questions how much is a pint and secondly an average glass of wine?

I just brought up my statement from our crossing in May. It appears that drinks ranged from about $5 for a beer and most drinks and glasses of wine were about $7-10. (US Dollars, 18% gratuity included)

Check out this link https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/drink_cost

As a rule think restaurant / hotel prices rather than pub. You can take a small supply on board with you as well.

Thanks Mark, I can live with those prices, without changing my religion.

Glad to hear it - you can bend your elbows in prayer ;)

Looking at the linked menu from a previous reply, it appears that either they've raised their prices a bit or I'm a cheaper drunk than I thought.

In any event - unfortunately nowhere near the fabled days of yore when the lines charged high rates for the cabin but the onboard expenses reflected actual costs (cheap). However, not as high as some other cruise lines and hotels in expensive cities like SF and NY (and don't get me started on spirit prices in London) - especially for premium brands.

Cheers!

Mark

HTFCruiser, will be able to drink like a Monk, Minister, Rabbi, imam khatib, Shaman, etc. - as long as you ask for tap water - no additional charge.:)

Interesting. But we thought the Cunard prices were extortionist.

Example

Cloudy Bay Sauvignon , one of my favourites

Waitrose 22 pounds

P&O 30 pounds

Cunard 60 USD plus 15 %

So if you want to pay double the price go with Cunard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting. But we thought the Cunard prices were extortionist.

Example

Cloudy Bay Sauvignon , one of my favourites

Waitrose 22 pounds

P&O 30 pounds

Cunard 60 USD plus 15 %

So if you want to pay double the price go with Cunard.

$60 +15% is not double. Many resteraunts have mark ups greater than Cunards. http://www.winemag.com/2010/05/07/the-lowdown-on-restaurant-markups/ Not that I'm a defender of Cunard in this. With the profits they must make, for the easiest food sale in the dining room we should expect more than a waiter who has a scanty knowledge of the product and is invisible util he/she collects the signed receipt.

David.

Well over double Waitrose. Nearly double P&O. Don't forget pound has fallen against the dollar since referendum.

But, as it is the same company so probably the same supplier in Southampton, is there such a difference between Cunard and P&O. Just blatant profiteering by Cunard ripping off their , probably, better off clients.

Another example, Mateus Rose. Not to everyone's taste and 6 pounds in the supermarket. 30 USD plus 15% on Cunard. If you think that is fair then carry on.

I just don't like being ripped off so blatantly.

... Example Cloudy Bay Sauvignon , one of my favourites Waitrose 22 pounds ...

Hi simonpjd

Supermarket prices vary; Sainsburys, Morrisons, charge less than that for the same wine (and if you take along your Waitrose carrier bag, no-one will know where you actually bought it ;) ). I've found it for £17.99 in the past.

Restaurants always add a large "mark-up" to quite indifferent wines I've noted. Frequently I feel "ripped off" when dining out.

It can be difficult to compare bar prices for spirits/cocktails between P&O and Cunard unless you have a calculator handy.

My understanding is that P&O charge in £, whereas Cunard charge in $.

P&O use a UK standard 25ml measure, whereas Cunard use US measures (close to a UK "double").

Cunard add 15%, not sure about P&O.

Personally, I've not felt I've been overcharged for drinks in a bar on a Cunard ship, but have always suspected the "mark-up" on wine in any restaurant, on land or at sea, to be excessive.

But then, no-one forces me to drink wine with my meal...

Wine prices won't stop me cruising with Cunard however... :D

Edited by pepperrn

Bar prices for white wine were very expensive: $13.95 for all whites except the Cunard 'house' which was $11.95 I think plus 15%

We didn't eat in restaurant much (no luggage different story) but bottles seemed a bit more reasonable - we managed to get an ok Chilean for $30 plus 15%

I thought RCI was expensive but at least they have packages - no such thing on Cunard

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A few weeks ago we had a long weekend in Dublin. More recently, we had a long weekend in London.

Both hotels where we stayed were much more expensive than Cunard.

We're therefore quite happy with the pricing on Cunard. There are even quite a few good wines for well under $50.

It also helps having the free bar in the room!

Stewart

There are wine packages available on Cunard - I've just purchased 18 bottles from the Commodore's collection to have on our cruise in October These worked out at just over £35 per bottle - The prices for these certainly are on a par what I'd expect to pay in a restaurant here in the UK and possibly quite a bit less for some - After a little searching on the Web a bottle of Cloudy Bay in the Albert Hall Cloudy Bay restaurant will set you back £47, so comparing like for like Cunard aren't too badly priced.

They will never come off too well if you start comparing supermarket prices.

Drinks prices on Cunard are scandalous and are a rip off on our cruise on QM2 last October and QV in May this year never seen so many people sitting in bars asking for tap water.

Many guests drinking/ordering tap water, I think that's a bit of a slight exaggeration. Certainly not on the QM2 this last week, all the bars (Chart Room/Commodore/Pub & Carinthia Lounge) were packed out, both lunch time and evenings, the poor crew were rushed off their feet serving alcohol beverages, so much so, they had to bring in assistance from two bar managers (something I've never seen before)

Apparently, the average markup on a bottle of wine is 200% - 300%, and sometimes 400%. Somebody has to pay for wages, rents, rates and all the other cost associated with running a business. Cunard have to get back the £350 million the QE cost somehow.

I think my OBC should cover the tips and a few bottles of wine!

Apparently, the average markup on a bottle of wine is 200% - 300%, and sometimes 400%. Somebody has to pay for wages, rents, rates and all the other cost associated with running a business. Cunard have to get back the £350 million the QE cost somehow.

I think my OBC should cover the tips and a few bottles of wine!

Most restaurants on land mark their wine up at least 300%, from what I've read.

It makes the Veuve Cliquot onboard the ship a bargain since that's only about twice the street price in this neck of the woods.

Many guests drinking/ordering tap water, I think that's a bit of a slight exaggeration. Certainly not on the QM2 this last week, all the bars (Chart Room/Commodore/Pub & Carinthia Lounge) were packed out, both lunch time and evenings, the poor crew were rushed off their feet serving alcohol beverages, so much so, they had to bring in assistance from two bar managers (something I've never seen before)

It certainly isnt an exaggeration and on QM2 roundtrip Transatlantic last October many in the Queens Room were drinking pints of tap water.

Question: When you purchase a wine package where can you obtain your wine? Only in Britannia? Or may you get a bottle from a bar? Can room service deliver one?

We only use the wine package in the MDR, but I assume you can use it anywhere, certainly in the other Restaurants, and I see no reason why it wouldn't be available via room service

I don't have any personal experience but the website does say that you can have wine in your cabin if you have the wine package.
Yes you can But you have to take it there yourself, Its the same with the Soft drinks package if you have that you still have to pay for any you use out of the Fridge they are not part of the package as they are room service.