NCL and Great Stirrup Cay

42CruiseCrazy

We will be cruising on the Norwegian Breakaway and visiting their private island, Great Stirrup Cay. I learned that NCL policy is to deny access to passengers in wheelchairs if the passenger and chair combined weighs more than 100 lbs. That seems ridiculous because that would exclude practically any disabled adult or teen confined to a wheelchair. Do they not have any roll on tenders like Carnival does at Half Moon Cay? Could someone who has been to GSC answer this question based on their experience?

We will be cruising on the Norwegian Breakaway and visiting their private island, Great Stirrup Cay. I learned that NCL policy is to deny access to passengers in wheelchairs if the passenger and chair combined weighs more than 100 lbs. That seems ridiculous because that would exclude practically any disabled adult or teen confined to a wheelchair. Do they not have any roll on tenders like Carnival does at Half Moon Cay? Could someone who has been to GSC answer this question based on their experience?

The information contained on the NCL website can be misleading as it's really not written with full clarity. The 100 lb. limited applies to the weight that NCL it's crew members are permitted to lift. It does not mean that you will be denied boarding a tender if it has roll-on capabilities and your combined body weight of that of the wheelchair weight exceeds 100 lbs. What it means is if the tender does not have roll-on capacities and you are able to take a few steps up/down to enter/exit the tender but your scooter/wheelchair weighs more than 100 lbs. you will not be allowed to board. Additionally it's important to note that regardless of the tender having roll-on capabilities it's always at the discretion as to whether or not people with any type of mobility equipment will be permitted to board due to safety concerns.

Refer to my post #2 in this link for specific information regarding accessible access to Great Stirrup Key. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2206147

• 1 month later...

I have been informed that there are steps on the tender that must be taken because you board the tender on one deck and disembark on the other deck. This means that someone who cannot walk or do steps has to be carried and to be carried you need to be 100 lbs or less. My wife uses a wheelchair and cannot walk but enjoys the beach and is a good swimmer. We are both very disappointed that we are forced to miss GSC. Even if my wife lost a few pounds and could be carried she would refuse. She is an adult, not a child, and finds it degrading to be carried. NCL should be making it's private island accessible to all it's passengers and there really is no excuse for there not being a wheelchair accessible tender servicing the island. Carnival has roll on - roll off tenders at Half Moon Cay and there are hundreds (perhaps thousands) of wheelchair accessible boats and ferries around the world. At least one of the tenders at GSC should be modified or replaced so that all fare paying passengers can visit NCL's private island if they wish to do so. :mad:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

This is very disheartening. I agree that of the millions of dollars spent on upgrades, a small portion could be applied to atleast one roll on tender. I know we personally choose cruising because the ships themselves are so very wheelchair accessible.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk