Mini Bar Charges Post Cruise

We sailed on the Anthem on the 9th of Dec. So far on our roll call 12 cruisers have posted they had an extra charge of either $6.19 or $12.37 added to their bill after they got off the ship. They called Royal and were told it was for the water bottles in the room. Had NOT drank the water..... I know 12 does not seem like all that many... but if you stop and think that not nearly everyone reads CC. Say we had 250 on our roll call (and I don't believe based on the turn out it was anywhere near that), that would be 5 percent of us... now rounding of course... the ship holds 4 K plus, 5% of that is 200 cruises... times say the lower amount of $6.19, that is an extra K in Royal's pocket... ummmmm. I bet most folks don't look at their bill after they get off. FYI

We sailed on the Anthem on the 9th of Dec. So far on our roll call 12 cruisers have posted they had an extra charge of either $6.19 or $12.37 added to their bill after they got off the ship. They called Royal and were told it was for the water bottles in the room. Had NOT drank the water..... I know 12 does not seem like all that many... but if you stop and think that not nearly everyone reads CC. Say we had 250 on our roll call (and I don't believe based on the turn out it was anywhere near that), that would be 5 percent of us... now rounding of course... the ship holds 4 K plus, 5% of that is 200 cruises... times say the lower amount of $6.19, that is an extra K in Royal's pocket... ummmmm. I bet most folks don't look at their bill after they get off. FYI

Unfortunately this is very common. However, you can call Crown & Anchor and have it removed. I know it's a PITA to do that, but if enough folks complain, maybe it will cost RCL enough in wasted rep time and they will stop doing it.

This happened to me in Oct on the Harmony. The minibar was empty and I was in the cabin when the guy came to check the minibar, so to be charged $6.19 for something not even offered in the room really annoyed me.

Just looked at the e-mailed PDF file they sent to me after the cruise and a mini-bar charge of 12.37 was added on the last day of the cruise but not on the bill sent to the cabin. That was November, hopefully I can get a refund when I call C&A tomorrow

Just looked at the e-mailed PDF file they sent to me after the cruise and a mini-bar charge of 12.37 was added on the last day of the cruise but not on the bill sent to the cabin. That was November, hopefully I can get a refund when I call C&A tomorrow

OP is right. You might be just one of the many that is not checking the last day charges!

Why is this happening and how are they able to get away with it? Is it happening on all ships or just a few? Perhaps people affected need to start sending complaints to head office as well as calling to get the charge refunded.

Edited by lucymorgan

I keep reading about this in several forums... It makes me think that it's not a simple mistake, there are lots of "mistakes" :mad:

If it happens to me, do you think that I can send one e-mail requesting my money back? If i make a phone call (I'm in Europe) the cost of the call will be the same as the amount that I'm demanding...

Post Cruise Customer Support takes care of this quickly: (800) 256-6649.

Post Cruise Customer Support takes care of this quickly: (800) 256-6649.

Thanks Bob. Took note of this number and saving it.

I will pass it along to our group of 10 families. I've already suggested that they request the room fridge be emptied on the first day (Unless of course they plan to use it) if they are not already emptied.

dp

Is it difficult to set up a cash account?

Not at all, you can select a cash account during online check-in, at the pier check-in, or at Guest Services onboard. You don't have to put any money down, RC will let you charge up to $500 before they ask you to pay down the account.

Not at all, you can select a cash account during online check-in, at the pier check-in, or at Guest Services onboard. You don't have to put any money down, RC will let you charge up to $500 before they ask you to pay down the account.

Thanks! That sounds like a fairly reasonable system.

Would I be able to go to the service desk on debarkation day to get a quick look at an "updated" bill? Or do you think they wait till you are off the boat before they add those items?

You can go to Guest Services at any time and get a copy of your bill.

Called the post sailing customer service number and without debate I was told that my credit card will be credited the $12.37 within 3 to 4 business days.

The more I keep seeing this the angrier it gets me....while it's great that they are so quick to refund the charges, I can guarantee there are MANY people that don't even notice, myself included. I look over our bill at the end of the week, which is much easier now with drink packages. But to be honest if the total was $325 on the last night and I go to pay my visa bill next month and its $331 and change or even $337 I would probably just think I remembered the total incorrectly. Lesson learned to triple check even after the fact but I agree with the PP that this seems to be happening incredibly too frequently to be simple human error, especially since CC is such a small percentage of total cruisers out there. And it's constantly water I feel....

Had this happen several years ago. Called and it was taken care of.

The only thing that could not be explained was the fact the mini bar charge was credited to my credit card 3 days before the end of cruise. Was never added to final bill. I noticed when checking the charges to my credit card. Now I check charges as soon as we get home.