sharps container & distilled water

PTAngel

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I'm going on the MSC Divina on May 6. I sent in my request for a sharps container & distilled water. I am diabetic & on insulin & I use a CPAP machine. MSC called me today & said I "may" be charged a deposit for the sharps container ($25 or $50) that I would get back when I turned it in. Do I have to go pick it up somewhere & where do I turn it in? I've always just requested one & it has been in my cabin & I just left it there for the steward to discard when I leave at no charge.

They also said they have a limited supply of distilled water & it is first come first serve. They suggested I bring the water with me. I am flying in on the day of embarkation & will go straight from MIA to the port. I don't have time to find a store to buy distilled water. I have no problem with buying some from the ship, I'm just concerned that they will have some. I may have to resort with using the tap water from the bathroom.

This is my first cruise with this line & this does not give a good impression of this cruise. I'll still go because it is a group cruise (WW) & I expect to have a good time but I'm a little disappointed.

Not sure why distilled water would be in limited supply, but I'm not very familiar with MSC. Also not sure how much water you would need for the cruise. You may want to pack a drinking bottle of distilled water in your bag to start you off, and then if the ship says they cannot supply a gallon, here's what we used to do for guests at NCL.

Get very friendly with your cabin steward. Ask politely if he/she could get some distilled water for you. Give them the water bottle, and if they have a friend in the engineering department, then during a night at sea when the evaporator is making water, they can fill your bottle straight from the evaporator; pure, distilled water, before chlorination. Very frequently, I would find my guys down filling gallon jugs from the evaporator for guests. Failing this, talk to Guest Services, or the Hotel Director and see if they can provide. Very often there is a disconnect between what the call center personnel will tell you, and what the onboard staff are willing to do for you.

I've cruised Carnival & RCI & have never had a problem getting distilled water. I had to pay a minimal fee on Carnival but that's ok. That's why I was confused. Oh, well. It is what it is. I will survive & enjoy.

We've started traveling with safety needles.

They have an attached "cap" that starts out "open".

After use, one just snaps it closed, and it's a one-way mechanism.

(Yes, I suppose someone could break it open, but our goal is to avoid accidental sticks.)

• 3 months later...

My question is a bit different but regarding the CPAP machine. Was wondering if other users try cleaning their machine a few times during the cruise. The mask, tube, etc. or do you just wait until you get home and not worry?

My question is a bit different but regarding the CPAP machine. Was wondering if other users try cleaning their machine a few times during the cruise. The mask, tube, etc. or do you just wait until you get home and not worry?

Goodness. There would be no need to clean your equipment more often on a cruise than you do at home. Stick to your normal frequency. I would note; however, that there would be difficulty carrying white vinegar on board for most lines.

I just wait until I'm back home---and I take long-ish cruises. However, if you prefer to clean it while you're away, it shouldn't be a problem.

You could use the basin in your bathroom, or ask the cabin steward about getting a bucket to hold the equipment. Vinegar should be available from the galley; you could ask your dining steward to have some sent to your cabin.

PTAngel,

The reason that you use distilled water is because it has zero minerals. So the CPAP water chamber doesn't get mineral deposits, which diminishes the efficiency of the humidifier. Tap water on a ship may not be completely de-mineralized but I have used several different cruise-lines tap water without an issue that wasn't cleaned up by vinegar. So you should be OK without distilled water in a pinch. As far as a sharps container, I never was charged for one.

Ginnylou,

I bring CPAP wipes with me (like Clorox wipes but citrus instead of bleach) and wipe down the mask, I use a full faced mask. I usually wipe it down every day.

HTH

I wash the cushions on our CPAP machines every day with Ivory soap, both at home and when away. I carry a small bottle of Ivory with me. I don't wash the tubing and water chamber while away, but at home I do it once a week in the shower, again with Ivory soap. This is what my CPAP supplier told me to use.

I talked with my provider yesterday and was told I could go one week without cleaning. Think it would be rather awkward to try and clean tubing and hope it would be dry in time to use that night. I could see doing just the face piece but was told I could also get away with not cleaning it for the week. I purchased a So Clean machine after the first few weeks of cleaning the different pieces a couple times a week. It is so much easier then but not something I want to bring on a trip even though they do have travel ones as well. Anyway thank you everyone for your input. I did not know anything about cleaning wipes but thanks to this thread I do now! Think I will purchase some wipes and bring them along. :)

I had both distilled water for drinking with my anti rejection drugs twice a day, post transplant and we havent to drink water that is kept in large tanks like hotels etc. & there was a mini sharps bin in the cabin when I arrived. The cabin steward even noticed my very large bottle was getting low & brought me another one. I didnt have to pay was on RCL Explorer of the seas. Enjoy your holiday. x

Well, I'm back & thought I would update everyone. I didn't get anything from MSC when I got on board. Their guest services did call but I told them never mind. I brought a small container with me for my used needles. I use a pen so the needles weren't very big. I disposed of them when I got home. I used the tap water for my CPAP. It worked fine. I sure won't stress again about that. I always carry an extension cord in the CPAP carry case so I'm always prepared for that. I guess because I don't use a surge protector it has never been questioned. I did dry out the humidifier so security wouldn't question the water drops. I did forget to shake out the hose though.

My main advise is DON'T STRESS OVER THE SMALL STUFF. You can adjust & you will be fine & you WILL enjoy whatever cruise you are on.

Explorer of the Seas had distilled water in my stateroom when I arrived and cabin steward set up extension cords for me. Everything worked out just find. I did notified RC prior to my cruise by email.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to comment that when I looked at purchasing beverages on HAL I found that you can buy a gallon of distilled water for about $3. It's good to know. It means that I can just bring one jug with me on board as we leave from my home area and then buy more as needed on the ship.

Thanks for this information. Cruising in the fall with a friend who uses CPAP, and was wondering about getting distilled water for her for a 10 day HAL cruise. We will take a small 3 oz. bottle with us and then plan to purchase the distilled water on-board for the rest of the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

BD makes a really convenient needle clipper. I used it when I was on insulin and traveling. It is on Amazon and it's called BD Safe-Clip Needle Clipping and Storage Device and then I could just put the now needleless syringes in a baggie.

• 3 months later...

I called HAL before our cruise and ordered two gallons of distilled water - it was a two week cruise- and they were sitting in our cabin when we arrived. They charged about $3 a gallon which you paid when you were ordering it.

• 2 weeks later...