Alaska on Regent Mariner - Tracy Arm Excursion?

V&GKohn

Hello from a first time Cruise Critic user!

(Hope this is now posted in the right spot!)

As a longtime TripAdvisor user I know just how valuable forums like this are for ensuring the best possible adventures. Thank you in advance for any and all of your kind suggestions. Greatly appreciated!

My husband and I, along with 2 other couples, will be on the August 9th, 2017 Regent cruise aboard Mariner from Vancouver to Seward. I am researching the various excursion options (whew!) and the one that has me in a quandary is whether or not to take the RC Tracy Arm offering. My understanding is that the ship itself will cruise up Tracy Arm all morning before docking in Juneau at 1pm. Will we get close enough (ice permitting) to really experience the glacier activity - not only see but hear the calving? Would taking the RC excursion add significantly to our experience? I can totally understand why it would make sense if a cruise ship is not sailing to this location, but for Mariner cruisers, would the excursion be redundant?

I'd love to get up close and personal to the ice ...but would also enjoy having a really good view from my balcony, in my robe with a hot coffee! If Mariner offers a great experience from the ship, we'll opt for a helicopter excursion onto a glacier once we dock in Juneau. Your thoughts?

Thank you!

(This will be our first cruise on Regent and I'm truly looking forward to it!)

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Regent board. I also read TripAdvisor and occasionally post about hotels we have stayed at.

In my opinion, visiting Tracy Arm from the ship is the best way to go. Your view is more much expansive than being on small boat in the water looking up at everything. I'm assuming that ice in the water will have disappeared by August which will allow the Mariner to sail there. While the glacier is beautiful, it is the path leading to the glacier that we love. I can only imagine how gorgeous this will look from a helicopter! Note: Tracy Arm's glacier is rather flat and you likely will not see the calving that occurs at other glaciers.

I see that you will also be doing Hubbard Glacier. This our favorite area. We were able to get quite close to the glacier and could hear the roaring, thundering sound of the ice calving into the ocean. This is definitely a "must see"!

You made a good choice in selecting Regent and the Mariner. Hope that your cruise exceeds all of your expectations.

Travelcat2- Thank you so much for your insight. I was truly hoping you'd comment as I see you've made a second home of Mariner! ;)

I would greatly appreciate any advice as to which excursions you think are especially noteworthy. I realize this is highly subjective, but we're all fit and looking to experience a little local/native flavor, a bit of adventure on the ice and lots of wildlife.

Our thought is to do:

~ Ketchikan - George Inlet & Crab Feast

~ Juneau- Helicopter onto glacier (suggestions as to which? Have done the dog sledding in Banff so don't need to repeat)

~ Skagway- one of the float trips (suggestions?)

~ Sitka- Sea Otters & Wildlife Quest

Sticking to one excursion per port I think is best so we won't feel rushed and have time to enjoy each town as well.

While the 2 other couples joining us can sign up now, my husband and I are not in a Concierge + suite. Hoping we will not get shut out of our first choices. Does this happen often? Again, many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/ur

Edited by V&GKohn

Travelcat2- Thank you so much for your insight. I was truly hoping you'd comment as I see you've made a second home of Mariner! ;)

I would greatly appreciate any advice as to which excursions you think are especially noteworthy. Our thought is to do:

Ketchikan - George Inlet & Crab Feast

Juneau- Helicopter onto glacier (suggestions as to which? Have done the dog sledding in Banff so don't need to repeat)

Skagway- one of the float trips (suggestions?)

Sitka- Sea Otters & Wildlife Quest

While the 2 other couples joining us can sign up now, my husband and I are not in a Concierge + suite. Hoping we will not get shut out of our first choices. Does this happen often? Again, many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have only done two on your list. We loved the Sea Otters and Wildlife Quest in Sitka and have always done the George Inlet and Crab Feast in Ketchikan (it was amazing).

There is a choice of the Crab Feast excursions - one is included and the other one has a cost (a Regent Choice Excursion that includes a seaplane ride). Based on what we experienced, the one with the seaplane is much better than the other one. While the "included" excursion was held in a big restaurant, we were in a private room - at a long table where many passengers were seeing who could build the highest pile of crab shells. It was the best crab that we've tasted (well, maybe equal to the crab that we had in Norway).

Writing about this makes want to return to Alaska:)

My you're fast! I was editing to clarify and you had already replied! Have you known of people being "shut out" of these excursions, or does Regent do a good job of adjusting/adding to accommodate? I've been planning to make back up arrangements with private tours to ensure our success in doing these special adventures.

BTW, perhaps you should come along.

Regent can generally accommodate everybody but certain excursions, such as the Crab Feast by seaplane is limited by the size of the dining venue.

Wish I could be there but we stay home during the summer.... It is really beautiful where we live and prefer being home.

P.S. Going out now ..... so much for quick responses.

Edited by Travelcat2

We had signed up for the dogsled excursion but it was cancelled due to weather, so we did the helicopter glacier tour instead. I'm so glad we did!

The helos carry six passengers and the view from the air is spectacular. They take you to two different locations and it's really fascinating getting that up close and personal.

My wife is not a happy flier in smaller aircraft and although she didn't love the flying aspect of as much as I did, she still felt the touchdowns on the glacier and wandering around was worth it.

I'd do it again. :D

Edited by UUNetBill
Fixed typos

Hi, agree for sure about the sea life and otter trip in Sitka. After this you have plenty time to tour the town on your own. If you have time the raptor visitor centre is worth a visit.

Skagway we took tha train trip and enjoyed it.

Juneau twice we have taken whale watching tours, but last year we did the Taku Lodge float plane trip. For me that's the second and last time in a float plane but it was well worth the anxiety for the views and experience and the salmon bake in such a tranquil place.

When I look at the photographs that somehow I managed to take I can't believe how beautiful and amazing the flight was.

That's 3 cruises we taken to Alaska but would go back in a heartbeat.

Enjoy and revel in the beauty. Jean.

Hi V&G,

I hope this won't come across as my being lazy, but I truly think that you'll just as easily find answers to your questions-- lots and lots and lots of answers and suggestions-- if you put "Alaska excursions" in the search bar on the Regent site. (top right) I'm mentioning this because you said that you're a first-time user of Cruise Critic, and you might be unfamiliar with this handy-dandy source of information. I just took a look to be sure, and there are numerous (almost endless) suggestions for excursions. (Including a bunch of my own) There's even a whole thread on the very question you asked, i.e. about Tracy Arm. We've done Alaska on Mariner twice, and, like many others, wouldn't mind doing it again and again. The place and the ship are both terrific. I hope that you'll enjoy reading a number of the posts on Alaska and that you'll come back and ask however many further specific questions you have. There are wonderful folks on the Regent board who are very generous with their time in answering questions.

Also, don't forget that there's a whole section called (I think) "Ports of Call." I have a tendency to turn to the faithful folks on the Regent board first, but I've gotten great amounts of info on the "ports" board as well.

Have fun!

Yes. Do Tracy Arm. Keep in mind that this is a capacity controlled excursion too. So book when excursions open.

It sounds as if you have done this excursion. We have not - only sailed into Tracy Arm onboard the ship. Kindly let me and the OP know why you prefer the excursion rather than just staying on the ship.

Thanks much!

And sometimes that smaller boat pulls right up to rushing waterfalls, so close that you can feel the shower. And other wonderful sights on shore that wouldn't be seen from a larger boat. Really dazzling.

The excursion on the smaller boat to Tracy Arm is awesome. You get right up to the glacier, and t is so close! My favorite shore excursion ever. The ship cannot get as close.

What RachelG and Poss said. The fjord is long but not big enough for the ships to do the whole length. The little excursion boat can do the whole thing and then it brings you back to Juneau. Super nice trip.

• 2 weeks later...

To all those who posted suggestions - you are generous indeed with your time, thank you! So very much appreciated. It truly helped me decide the best mix of excursions to book -- most through Regent but one independently. Now fingers crossed we get confirmed for our first choices!

While you're all being so helpful, might you provide some CC posting guidance for:

*How to create a Roll Call. (There isn't one for our Cruise on Mariner August 9, 2017)

I have searched high and low through several layers of CC and find no instruction.

Only a "if you don't find your roll call, click here". Then what?

*How to highlight a part of someone's post to reply specifically to that thought.

Again, many thanks. I'm learning quickly! Look forward to becoming a contributor once we return from our cruise.

V&G: I am fairly illiterate when it comes to knowing how to do things on a computer, but I think I know how to do the Roll Call thing:

Call up the "Roll Calls" section of CC. (I think it's the section below names of cruise lines.) Then click on "Regent Roll Calls." Once you do, you'll see that there are 4 different roll calls, one for each of Regent's ships. Click on the one that says Mariner. You'll see lots of posts from people taking cruises on Mariner. At the top of that forum, there's something that says "New Thread." Click on that and it'll enable you to start a roll call for your Aug. 9 cruise. You just need to give your post a title, e.g. "Alaska: Aug. 9, 2017." You don't have to specify that it's on Mariner, since that's what all the posting on that forum will (should) be.

Have fun! I hope that you meet lots of interesting shipmates.

• 5 months later...
We have only done two on your list. We loved the Sea Otters and Wildlife Quest in Sitka and have always done the George Inlet and Crab Feast in Ketchikan (it was amazing).

There is a choice of the Crab Feast excursions - one is included and the other one has a cost (a Regent Choice Excursion that includes a seaplane ride). Based on what we experienced, the one with the seaplane is much better than the other one. While the "included" excursion was held in a big restaurant, we were in a private room - at a long table where many passengers were seeing who could build the highest pile of crab shells. It was the best crab that we've tasted (well, maybe equal to the crab that we had in Norway).

Writing about this makes want to return to Alaska:)

Hi Jackie-

I have to smile as I reread my original post and all the helpful replies. We are a month from our first Regent adventure and thanks to so many great CC contributors, we're set to have a grand time! It seems it conjured enough great memories of Alaska for you as well that you decided to return! Again, just sad it's not on our sailing.

You and I see the world and travel very similarly. So funny that you lived in Southern CA then moved north to Washington. I lived in Portland for 10 years (still have my home there) and moved south to CA! Still miss the beautiful Northwest!

It would be great to text/email you directly. Is that possible?

Best,

Victoria

Hi Jackie-

I have to smile as I reread my original post and all the helpful replies. We are a month from our first Regent adventure and thanks to so many great CC contributors, we're set to have a grand time! It seems it conjured enough great memories of Alaska for you as well that you decided to return! Again, just sad it's not on our sailing.

You and I see the world and travel very similarly. So funny that you lived in Southern CA then moved north to Washington. I lived in Portland for 10 years (still have my home there) and moved south to CA! Still miss the beautiful Northwest!

It would be great to text/email you directly. Is that possible?

Best,

Victoria

Hi Victoria,

Yes - we made an almost last minute decision to return to Alaska and are doing the Vancouver to S.F. sailing at the end of next month! I'm excited for you to be doing your first Regent and first Alaska cruise. It should be great.

Would love to communicate with you privately but do not want to share my email address on a public forum. Let me think about this...... maybe an email address that I started a couple of years ago but haven't used is still working. If it is, I'll post it.

Jackie

P.S. Just checked and it is still working. You can reach me at meettc2@gmail.com

Edited by Travelcat2

We had signed up for the dogsled excursion but it was cancelled due to weather,

You should be glad they did cancel it. This episode from NPR's This American Life tells the story (from the dogsled camp staff perspective) of a ship's excursion that got stranded in the camp due to weather: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/558/game-face

It's lengthy but fascinating. I had heard this story before I heard this program, and believe it was a Regent ship's excursion.

Hi Victoria,

Yes - we made an almost last minute decision to return to Alaska and are doing the Vancouver to S.F. sailing at the end of next month! I'm excited for you to be doing your first Regent and first Alaska cruise. It should be great.

Would love to communicate with you privately but do not want to share my email address on a public forum. Let me think about this...... maybe an email address that I started a couple of years ago but haven't used is still working. If it is, I'll post it.

Jackie

P.S. Just checked and it is still working. You can reach me at meettc2@gmail.com

Thank you, Jackie!! I'll reach out this weekend!

VIctoria

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Victoria,

Jackie

Oops, I posted in wrong place. Just sent you an email to the address above. Hope we can connect!