Bayonne, Hotel to stay and park before cruise

wendyatpml

We stayed overnight at the Residence Inn Newark by the airport back in Feb 2015 because the weather was going to be freezing rain the morning of departure. We didn't want to drive up from Delaware in that kind of weather. I don't know if they have a park and stay package since we planned to park our car at the terminal. It was a nice place to stay with a filling free breakfast in the morning and restaurant within walking distance (less than 10 minutes) for dinner.

BTW, parking at the terminal at Bayonne is now in a covered multi-level garage with easy in and out. You may drop off your passengers and then park. The rate is $20 a day. http://www.cruiseliberty.com/directions_parking.html

Walking from the garage, you can see handy restrooms on the left just before you enter the embarkation terminal. If you are sailing the Anthem of the Seas, look for the attendants in blue blazers who are carrying IPads. They can process you in and even take your picture for your Set Sail pass so you can bypass check-in after security.

Does anyone know of a hotel near the port where we can stay over and leave the car? We did this in Baltimore and it is much cheaper than parking at the pier.

The best deal out there is through trinityresevations.com - Ramada Plaza with up to 21 days parking and round trip port transportation for up to 4 people - $204-219 tax included. I just did the first part of this package for the Anthem and was very happy with it.

Other options are Country Inns and Embassy Suites at a significantly higher price when you include tax.

Due to the Bayonne Bridge closures, I'm not currently recommending the Staten Island hotels that offer these packages, but they are available. These hotels require a $15 toll to get onto Staten Island. If the Bayonne Bridge is closed, the hotel transportation will have to go back to Elizabeth, NJ to circle around to Bayonne.

At the Ramada Plaza, what kind of security is there for vehicles while we are sailing? How is the transportation to and from the port and what is the distance to the port? Any additional information that I can get would be helpful or where I could find it.

The Ramada Plaza has gated security that is manned 7x24. Folks come and go by vehicle 7x24. The hotel is on Frontage Road which dead ends at the Northern State prison. The area is not easily accessible on foot. For a place to leave a car at Newark Airport I think it's highly desirable because of its remoteness and inaccessibility.

The Trinityreservations.com package has an arrangement to use the Ramada shuttle buses to transport folks to the pier. When you check into the hotel, you also go to the Concierge desk to register for a shuttle time. The shuttle bus I was on held about 15 people and it was very nice. This hotel is one of the closest airport hotels to the pier which is about 9.5 miles away. These shuttle buses are only available through the trinity package. They cannot be booked separately through the hotel.

I haven't used the return trip yet, but I will be posting about it when I get back. For the trip to the pier, we left a little after 10 am, got right onto the NJ turnpike at exit 14, and immediately ran into congestion getting onto I78 east towards exit 14. Once everyone merged onto I78, it was smooth sailing across the bridge to exit 14A. The driver actually paid the toll in cash and we followed the signs onto Avenue E where we turned left just before 45th St and followed the back road to Goldsborough Drive. Another left took us to Port Terminal Blvd. The route seemed to be well signed and everyone seemed to be going to the port anyway. The backup at the terminal was minimal and the shuttle bus made a left to park in the bus drop off area. Porters were there to accept luggage. Total travel time was just under 25 minutes, which I thought was fantastic.

I can't say how happy I am that I found this information! We are driving in from Canada for our June cruise and I just booked through Trinity this morning. My husband even commented that it seems to good to be true and I told him that the Cruise Critic folks know all lol!!

THANKS SO MUCH for this info!

The Ramada Plaza has gated security that is manned 7x24. Folks come and go by vehicle 7x24. The hotel is on Frontage Road which dead ends at the Northern State prison. The area is not easily accessible on foot. For a place to leave a car at Newark Airport I think it's highly desirable because of its remoteness and inaccessibility.

The Trinityreservations.com package has an arrangement to use the Ramada shuttle buses to transport folks to the pier. When you check into the hotel, you also go to the Concierge desk to register for a shuttle time. The shuttle bus I was on held about 15 people and it was very nice. This hotel is one of the closest airport hotels to the pier which is about 9.5 miles away. These shuttle buses are only available through the trinity package. They cannot be booked separately through the hotel.

I haven't used the return trip yet, but I will be posting about it when I get back. For the trip to the pier, we left a little after 10 am, got right onto the NJ turnpike at exit 14, and immediately ran into congestion getting onto I78 east towards exit 14. Once everyone merged onto I78, it was smooth sailing across the bridge to exit 14A. The driver actually paid the toll in cash and we followed the signs onto Avenue E where we turned left just before 45th St and followed the back road to Goldsborough Drive. Another left took us to Port Terminal Blvd. The route seemed to be well signed and everyone seemed to be going to the port anyway. The backup at the terminal was minimal and the shuttle bus made a left to park in the bus drop off area. Porters were there to accept luggage. Total travel time was just under 25 minutes, which I thought was fantastic.

Porters were there to accept luggage. Total travel time was just under 25 minutes, which I thought was fantastic.

Thank you! I had booked this along with relatives and was afraid that I had led them astray...I am much more confident and relaxed about it now!

• 3 weeks later...

The Ramada on Frontage RD is a nice hotel. We stayed last September and was surprised when we got to the hotel and found they have a shuttle that will take you into NYC for the day. We got on the 11:30 shuttle which I think is the last one and you have your choice of two return times. They are 8PM or 11:00PM. We had a great time in the city and returned on the early shuttle. Enjoy your cruise.

I just booked the Trinity Package yesterday based on 138east recommendation. When booking Bruce asked what time I would like to go to Pier and what time I would like my return shuttle. 8 9 or 10am return. Bruce was great to deal with and assured me the lot is monitored and I keep my car keys...do not need to leave them with the hotel. I liked that. My trip is in July so I cannot say anymore except that the reservation process was great!

I see the packages do not include breakfast. Can you purchase the breakfasts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The hotel has a restaurant/bar as well as a fairly extensive cafe area that I believe is open 7x24. The rooms have coffee machines. At most I buy a pastry or yogurt or muffin since I'm headed for a ship that is awash in food.

• 4 months later...
The Ramada on Frontage RD is a nice hotel. We stayed last September and was surprised when we got to the hotel and found they have a shuttle that will take you into NYC for the day. We got on the 11:30 shuttle which I think is the last one and you have your choice of two return times. They are 8PM or 11:00PM. We had a great time in the city and returned on the early shuttle. Enjoy your cruise.

What was cost of shuttle to NYC?

What was cost of shuttle to NYC?

No one has really posted current details about this shuttle. Call the hotel and ask.

Train from Newark Airport station is an option to midtown and train/PATH is an option to downtown. Where do you want to go in NYC?

• 3 weeks later...
What about Springhill Suites by Marriott 652 U.S. Highway Route 1-9 South

Newark? Trinity has them listed for $186 breakfast included.

Could you provide more details? Exact Date? Number of people? Flying or driving? Dinner requirements? Sightseeing?

Could you provide more details? Exact Date? Number of people? Flying or driving? Dinner requirements? Sightseeing?

Driving, arrive 12/1; sail 12/2 - 12/14. 2 people, need dinner and hotel + park and transportation to/from pier? Best option Ramada Plaza or Springhill Suites that includes free breakfast and I pay transportation to/from pier? Transportation not included on Trinity site for here.

Driving, arrive 12/1; sail 12/2 - 12/14. 2 people, need dinner and hotel + park and transportation to/from pier? Best option Ramada Plaza or Springhill Suites that includes free breakfast and I pay transportation to/from pier? Transportation not included on Trinity site for here.

OK - now I can see what you're looking at.

Ramada Plaza is $209 with parking and round trip port transportation, no free breakfast but cafe and restaurant.

Spring Hill Suites is $186 with parking, free breakfast, no port transportation, and no restaurant in the hotel.

Round trip port transportation will run you $55-65 each way. Coming back you can also take a shared shuttle for $20/pp to the P4 Airtrain station to pick up the free hotel shuttle.

Don't get hung up on free breakfast. Dinner is the problem if you don't want to leave the hotel. Anthem will be awash with more food than you can imagine. First day food service opens at 11:00 am.