EWR to Manhattan via Ferry

suntan

I'm searching for flight deals from Toronto in August 2017 for my NCL cruise sailing out of the Manhattan cruise terminal. I am arriving the day prior to the cruise. Flights out of Toronto to JFK are running $400 Cdn non stop (any stops are not acceptable for a 1 1/2 hour flight) and you can forget flying into LGA with all that construction. So I was thinking of taking Porter Airlines to EWR and then making my way to Manhattan.

Is it possible to get from EWR to a ferry to take to Manhattan from which I will take a cab/car service and if so how would I go about that?

Thanks,Sue

I'm searching for flight deals from Toronto in August 2017 for my NCL cruise sailing out of the Manhattan cruise terminal. I am arriving the day prior to the cruise. Flights out of Toronto to JFK are running $400 Cdn non stop (any stops are not acceptable for a 1 1/2 hour flight) and you can forget flying into LGA with all that construction. So I was thinking of taking Porter Airlines to EWR and then making my way to Manhattan.

Is it possible to get from EWR to a ferry to take to Manhattan from which I will take a cab/car service and if so how would I go about that?

Thanks,Sue

Do you have a special thing for ferries? The easiest way to get there by public transit from EWR is to take the NJ transit train to New York Penn Station and a cab to the port or to take the airport bus from from EWR to Port Authority bus terminal and a cab to the port.

Since you're arriving the day before your cruise am I correct to assume you're staying at a hotel in Manhattan ? If so, where? Admittedly the answer to that question is probably not that likely to affect the suggestions for transportation already made by Carol. In any event a ferry is not likely to be part of the answer.

Since you're arriving the day before your cruise am I correct to assume you're staying at a hotel in Manhattan ? If so, where? Admittedly the answer to that question is probably not that likely to affect the suggestions for transportation already made by Carol. In any event a ferry is not likely to be part of the answer.

Yes, I am staying at a hotel in Manhattan the day prior to the cruise. I'm staying at The Belvedere - address:319 West 48th Street. Someone suggested the ferry and I thought it would be a great way to arrive but I'm sensing a "no" coming. :D

Yes, I am staying at a hotel in Manhattan the day prior to the cruise. I'm staying at The Belvedere - address:319 West 48th Street. Someone suggested the ferry and I thought it would be a great way to arrive but I'm sensing a "no" coming. :D

Unfortunately my answer is a " no, but......"

I don't advise trying to get to a ferry from EWR with all your cruise luggage. Given the location of your hotel, my suggestion would be to just get on the airport bus (http://web.coachusa.com/coachusaassets/files/94/naerackcard.pdf), go to Port Authority Bus Terminal and walk or take a quick cab ride to your hotel. If you plan to fly home from EWR, a round trip bus ticket is a good option since PABT is relatively close to the pier.

The Staten Island ferry from South Ferry is free - about an hour round trip. On weekdays NY Waterways (http://www.nywaterway.com/commuters.aspx) runs ferries to NJ, particularly during rush hour. Sat service is very limited. This could be an option Friday afternoon - ferry from W 39th to Paulus Hook (Exchange Place) for $8 and PATH from Exchange Place to World Trade for $2.75. Visiting the 911 Memorial during rush hour on Friday night could be a really good choice.

As Carol says, the airport bus to Port Authority Bus Terminal followed by a taxi or walking is your best way from the airport to the hotel. Your hotel is also only about a half mile away from the cruise terminal, so if you can handle your luggage you can walk. Otherwise it's an inexpensive taxi ride.

Sue ~

I agree with Carol & njhorseman that taking the train (NJ Transit) or airport bus (CoachUSA) is by far the simplest, most direct way to get from EWR to Manhattan. (Well, a car service would be even more simple, albeit more expensive; I'll leave that aside for now.)

However, it is possible to get over to Manhattan (and, in fact, quite close to your hotel) from EWR via a combination of ferry and several other modes of transportation. Possible? Yes. Simple and direct? Not exactly.

Just for the record, here are step-by-step directions:

1. Take the Airtrain (airport monorail) from your arrivals terminal to the Newark Liberty International Airport train station.

2. From the train station, take any New York-bound NJ Transit train to Newark Penn Station.

3. At Newark Penn Station, change to a PATH train heading to the World Trade Center; get off at Exchange Place.

4. Exit the Exchange Place PATH station, cross the plaza and walk over to the Exchange Place light rail station on Hudson Street. Board any light rail train heading toward Tonnelle Avenue. Get off at the Port Imperial (Weehawken) stop.

5. Cross the roadway (Port Imperial Boulevard) via the pedestrian overpass to the ferry terminal. Yes... You're now ready for the ferry portion of your journey! Take an NY Waterway ferry to 39th Street, Manhattan. Enjoy the view!

6. Hooray! You've now arrived in Manhattan (at 39th Street and 12th Avenue, to be precise).

7. Treat yourself to a 5-minute taxi ride to the Belvedere! Or complete this last leg on foot (15-20 minutes). Your choice.

8. You've finally arrived at the Belvedere, a good two or three hours after landing at EWR. :') Treat yourself to the beverage of your choice:wine-glass::cocktail::beer-mug::whiskey-glass: and a long soak in the tub. You've earned it! You need it! ;)

(By the way, just about each leg of that journey requires a separate ticket, purchased before you board that mode of transportation.)

Yep... Taking the train or bus is easier--and quicker.

The bus is cheaper but taking a car service is the easiest. Get in the car and you are dropped off at your hotel. Now that Uber is available maybe you can do Uber share. I believe the website said it was $25 pp

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...
Hi

I am flying into Newark then going to Manhattan for a workshop. I would like to catch a ferry from the airport to manhattan. I will only have one piece of luggage. Is there a ferry?

There is no ferry directly from Newark Airport to Manhattan. Where exactly are you going in Manhattan? If you want to spend more time and money to get to Manhattan with a ferry ride as part of the process, it is possible to do, but how you do it depends on exactly where you are going in Manhattan.

Sue ~

4. Exit the Exchange Place PATH station, cross the plaza and walk over to the Exchange Place light rail station on Hudson Street. Board any light rail train heading toward Tonnelle Avenue. Get off at the Port Imperial (Weehawken) stop.

Hold it, I'm trying to follow along with this. Why not just take the Paulus Hook Ferry which is pretty much at the exit of the Exchange Place Path station? According to their app they have a Paulus to 39 Ferry route.

Hold it, I'm trying to follow along with this. Why not just take the Paulus Hook Ferry which is pretty much at the exit of the Exchange Place Path station? According to their app they have a Paulus to 39 Ferry route.

You have to be very careful with the ferry schedules. The Port Imperial to 39th St ferry runs from 6 am to midnight+ Mon-Fri and from 8 am to midnight+ Sat-Sun. The Paulus Hook ferry only runs morning and evening rush hours Mon-Fri

You have to be very careful with the ferry schedules. The Port Imperial to 39th St ferry runs from 6 am to midnight+ Mon-Fri and from 8 am to midnight+ Sat-Sun. The Paulus Hook ferry only runs morning and evening rush hours Mon-Fri

Ahh, I see. Thanks!