hurtigruten in october, autumncolours and northernlight????

travellover1965

Hi,

We're considering to do our first hurtigruten cruise (from Bergen 12 days) in October. We choose this month because we're hoping to see and autumn colors and also the northern light.

But on the other hand really worried about what the weather will be like. I m expecting some rain and windy days but also hope to have a good change to see the lights.

We have now the choice between departure at 2nd October or 12 October and really can't decide which one to choose. Or better not to cruise at all in october?

2nd october is on Ms Richard With, maybe more autumncolours and better weather? but also a full moon by then so maybe that not good to seen the northern lights.

12th october on Ms Polarlys, maybe weather worse and no autumncolors but is this period new moon so darker nights (if its clear). This ship is recently refurnished and the arctic superior huts have nog double beds.

We love nature and landscapes and hope to have the oportunity to make nice photo's also from the northern light. Any tips for excursions and can we do that also on our own?

Can please someone give me advise in this.

Thanks so much in advance.

Anita.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have travelled Bergen-Kirkenes-Trondheim in 2014, departing on September 27th. We had quite a fair weather, some sunny days and some grey days, as expected. The weather statistics will really not be much helpful as there is so much variation from one year to the other, so you just need to take your chances (this is true for all seasons in Norway, to be honest). We had great winter colors throughout, particularly in the north, in the south autumn was just starting. We also did see the Northern Lights. Don't concern yourself too much with the moon, if the Lights are strong you will see them nevertheless, and the moon is giving some glow to the landscape so it is actually quite nice.

It was a great trip altogether, and I would go there again at this season without a worry. I would choose maybe the earlier sailing, as the longer you wait and the greater risk there is that the first winter storm arrives in the North and get all the leaves down. Also, the daylight hours are reducing quickly.

If you want to see pictures from this season, you can have a look at my blog starting here : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.fr/2014/09/hjrundfjord-aller.html (we actually started the cruise in Alesund, as there was a storm on the previous trip that prevented the ship to come back to Bergen and Hurtigruten got us to Alesund by bus).

• 1 month later...

We are 1st timers on the Hurtigruten lines and excited. We are booked on the Oct 22nd, MS Finnmarken. Would also love to know more about this cruise. Logging in to their website for booked passengers has very little information.

Basic inside cabin as it's only for sleep and we are early risers.

Would love to know more about excursions. Wanna do the Breakfast as North Cape, but my agent in Cruise Norway is suggesting to do the one without breakfast. What drinks are included. Agent says that water and coffee are included but how generous are they?

Wifi included??? I read somewhere that you cannot access email if you have aol.

Any and all info would be certainly be appreciated!!

I sailed this past end Sept Bergen-Kirkenes-Trondheim on the Nordnorge. Had pretty perfect weather. Hammerfest was a little overcast and rainy and a little choppy sailing where there is open access to Barent Sea. Saw Northern Lights 5 nights. One of the best vacations of my life.

excursions: Yes I agree to do the Nordkapp without breakfast. It's much more expensive and for what? You already paid for breakfast.

Coffee is included with meals. If you want coffee between meals, you pay. Water is the Norwegian tap water that's included, not bottled water. I loved the tap water, very good.

I did pretty much every hike and excursion I could possibly do, booking both ahead and more on the ship. Worth every penny to me.

You'll love this trip!