Waaaaay too early NYC planning :)

Husky1987

So, here's the deal with a couple of questions for our NYC area folks. Wife and I have a cruise out of NYC in Oct. 2018. I'm not an OCD down-to-the-minute planner, but I do love to research and make (and as my wife loves to tell me, continually change) general plans on what we'd like to do and see.

With that in mind, the two questions I'll ask are:

1. What area(s) would be the best for a hotel that would make plans as easy as possible? We'd want to walk/subway as much as possible and not rely on taxi/Uber.

2. Does this sound realistic (not packing too much into two days, etc.)?

We'll most likely have two full days plus the embarkation morning in NYC. NCL Gem leaves Sunday Oct. 28th. We'd most likely fly into JFK or EWR on a redeye from Seattle, getting in early Friday morning.

Plan may be to car service from the airport into Manhattan, leave bags at hotel, and start out Friday morning doing our stuff. At this point, we're mainly museum lovers. So a plan may be to walk around Friday AM (Rockefeller Center? St. Patrick's Cathedral?) until MoMA opens and spend 3-4 hours there. Then back to our hotel, check in and relax for a little bit. Then the Friday evening plan would be to subway to The Met Museum of Art from about 5:00 until it closes at 9:00pm. Then back either to the hotel or hit Top of the Rock if the night sky makes it worthwhile.

Saturday may be heading down to the Whitney (on my wife's wish list), spending a few hours there and then walking the High Line to the Chelsea Market. Spend the afternoon walking around/visiting Chelsea (love the neighborhood idea, but so many to see!) until we head back to the hotel for dinner (we'd love to eat at and visit Grand Central Terminal) and then whatever Saturday night holds.

Back to a question...if this is a not-inconceivable plan, would a hotel in the MoMA area or the Grand Central area be best? Or somewhere else? Cost isn't too much of an issue....if necessary I'd rather be in the $300-350 range for convenience than save $100 and have the hassle of everything taking more time.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

That's ambitious, at a minimum.

For the most part, a hotel anywhere in Midtown will work for your plan. There are more hotels in Times Square, but there are also hotels near Penn Station (mostly Courtyard/Holiday Inn Express/Hilton Garden Inn) types. My wife and I tend to Midtown East, the Lexington Ave area as it's away from the insanity of Times Square, close to a neighborhood along Second Avenue, and the E Train and Lexington Avenue (6) Locals run through there, which gets you to much of Manhattan without having to change trains.

MOMA and the Met on the same day sounds exhausting to me! The walk around for Friday morning can easily take in the sights on Fifth Avenue and Grand Central, so that's a plus. The Highline is a great idea and I highly recommend it. My main concern with your plan is you're going to be really tight on time and not really have time to experience much of New York...

I agree with times square or midtown for hotel and you should be able to walk to many of the things on your list , loads of subways there also. I would start looking at hotels asap , I also would make sure you have the Uber app just in case

Besides the MoMa and Met on same day, it's a doable plan. The Met has a large section of modern art, including Warhol and Picasso, so one can enjoy all types of art in one place (a huge place).

The famous LOVE sign is right on the sidewalk in front of MOMA so you can get a photo op.

A hotel in the high forties or low fifties on the East side would be my recommendation. You can walk to Rockefeller Center which also has good transportation choices.

As you might have read on these threads October is high season, so you might need to be flexible on location. I just prefer East side because it's less touristy and more choices for neighborhood meal venues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

MoMA sits right outside of the 5 Ave/53 St station that is serviced by the E subway line.

The Met is 4-5 blocks from the 96 St station on the 4/5/6 line

The Whitney is 4-5 blocks from the 8 Ave/14 St station on the A/C/E line

I'd personally recommend somewhere south of Times Square. Something around Penn Station. Convenient to the E to get to MoMA and The Whitney. However, if you like walking, the entire High Line is amazing and you can get on around 30 St right around the new Hudson Yard Complex and walk all the way down to the Whitney which should take about 30 minutes. As for The Met, I personally would just take an Uber there. If you don't mind walking you can take the A/C up to 81 St and get out at the Natural History Museum and take a 15 minute walk across Central Park.

Another option if you are around Penn Station is that you can hop an NJ Transit train from EWR directly to NYC (hopefully these derailment issues will be fixed by then).

That's ambitious, at a minimum.

For the most part, a hotel anywhere in Midtown will work for your plan. There are more hotels in Times Square, but there are also hotels near Penn Station (mostly Courtyard/Holiday Inn Express/Hilton Garden Inn) types. My wife and I tend to Midtown East, the Lexington Ave area as it's away from the insanity of Times Square, close to a neighborhood along Second Avenue, and the E Train and Lexington Avenue (6) Locals run through there, which gets you to much of Manhattan without having to change trains.

MOMA and the Met on the same day sounds exhausting to me! The walk around for Friday morning can easily take in the sights on Fifth Avenue and Grand Central, so that's a plus. The Highline is a great idea and I highly recommend it. My main concern with your plan is you're going to be really tight on time and not really have time to experience much of New York...

Thank you, I appreciate the answer! I agree the two biggies on the same day is on the adventurous side....I fear getting museum feet and I deal with a leg nerve issue anyway so we may end up splitting those two into each morning and then having the evenings free to do other things.

We debated spending more days in NYC, but with a 14 day cruise and each of us having jobs where its difficult to get two weeks off, let alone even more, we're thinking two days is all we'll be able to manage.

I agree with times square or midtown for hotel and you should be able to walk to many of the things on your list , loads of subways there also. I would start looking at hotels asap , I also would make sure you have the Uber app just in case

Good advice on the Uber app....I recently started using it on business trips and it's great!

I like hotels just south of Times Square. Easy walking to a lot of attractions, especially in the evening and easy access to subway and taxis.

Thank you very much! I think the easy access to attractions and transportation is going to be the way to go.

Besides the MoMa and Met on same day, it's a doable plan. The Met has a large section of modern art, including Warhol and Picasso, so one can enjoy all types of art in one place (a huge place).

The famous LOVE sign is right on the sidewalk in front of MOMA so you can get a photo op.

A hotel in the high forties or low fifties on the East side would be my recommendation. You can walk to Rockefeller Center which also has good transportation choices.

As you might have read on these threads October is high season, so you might need to be flexible on location. I just prefer East side because it's less touristy and more choices for neighborhood meal venues.

Thank you. Yes, the Met and MoMA are the top two things on our to do list....so whatever makes it easier and more enjoyable to do both of those and not be (too) rushed is going to be the way we want to go. Thanks for the timing advice, I'll be sure to start the hotel search early so we can get something booked where we want for sure!

MoMA sits right outside of the 5 Ave/53 St station that is serviced by the E subway line.

The Met is 4-5 blocks from the 96 St station on the 4/5/6 line

The Whitney is 4-5 blocks from the 8 Ave/14 St station on the A/C/E line

I'd personally recommend somewhere south of Times Square. Something around Penn Station. Convenient to the E to get to MoMA and The Whitney. However, if you like walking, the entire High Line is amazing and you can get on around 30 St right around the new Hudson Yard Complex and walk all the way down to the Whitney which should take about 30 minutes. As for The Met, I personally would just take an Uber there. If you don't mind walking you can take the A/C up to 81 St and get out at the Natural History Museum and take a 15 minute walk across Central Park.

Another option if you are around Penn Station is that you can hop an NJ Transit train from EWR directly to NYC (hopefully these derailment issues will be fixed by then).

Thank you for the specifics! and the Uber recommendation...with only two days I think whatever makes things easier is going to be key. As with the hotel, if I have to spend a few extra dollars on an Uber rather than the subway to save time and frustration I'll do it!

Thank you, I appreciate the answer! I agree the two biggies on the same day is on the adventurous side....I fear getting museum feet and I deal with a leg nerve issue anyway so we may end up splitting those two into each morning and then having the evenings free to do other things.

We debated spending more days in NYC, but with a 14 day cruise and each of us having jobs where its difficult to get two weeks off, let alone even more, we're thinking two days is all we'll be able to manage.

OK. To help with planning, the MTA trip planner can be found here.

Lexington from 52nd to 48th. Doubletree, W, Marriott Midtown East, Hotel 48 Lex, Residence Inn (just off Lex), The Lexington (a Marriott property). Easy walk to Rockefeller Center and MOMA. 6 Train to the Met (although cab or Uber will be easier given your timing). Easy walk to Grand Central (44th and Lexington). I'd consider a cab or Uber to the north Highline entrance as well, although the E Train to Penn Station may be quicker going crosstown, depending on the time of day. Lots of neighborhood restaurants along 2nd Avenue, and I can point you at a wonderful little Indian place we've found on I think 51st.

Speaking of 5th Ave, up by the Park it is also called Museum Mile >G< 8 Museums in a mile.

El Museo del Barrio at 104th Street

Museum of the City of New York at 103rd Street

Jewish Museum at 92nd Street

Cooper-Hewitt National Museum of Design at 91st Street

National Academy Museum and School of Fine Arts at 89thStreet

Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum at 88th Street

Metropolitan Museum of Art from 82nd to 86th Streets

Goethe House German Cultural Center at 82nd Street

• 2 weeks later...

Have you been to either museum before? They are gigantic. I recommend one museum per day

if you want to see everything. If you only want to see specific exhibits it might be OK. The Museum of Natural

History is also fantastic and one could easily spend a day there. If I had a choice between the Met or MOMA

the Met would be my choice hands down but I am not that big of a Modern Art fan. Hope you enjoy your stay.

• 2 months later...

Just a shout out and a thank you to the OP for posting! We sail pretty often, but May 2018 is our first time out of NYC. Trip is son's HS graduation present/celebration. We're going in a few days early, and have already been looking into what airport to use, where to stay, best ways to get to the pier and from the pier to airport, etc. I'm taking notes & will be watching this thread as well. Love this helpful community of cruisers :)

Just some thoughts for visitors. Yellow cabs are mostly everywhere in Manhattan except during rush hours. The use of Uber, etc. has made them a bit more available. If you find visiting a location is somewhat exhausting take a cab to your next stop or hotel.

Just some thoughts for visitors. Yellow cabs are mostly everywhere in Manhattan except during rush hours. The use of Uber, etc. has made them a bit more available. If you find visiting a location is somewhat exhausting take a cab to your next stop or hotel.

I was looking at this and wondering how convenient and affordable cabs are. I'm walking stick disabled so don't want to try and walk too far if I can avoid it. We are being put in Le Parker Meridian on 56 or 57th St. Our departure is June 2018 so time to plan but I'm guessing we will be content seeing a Broadway show and or Radio City Music Hall.

FWIW, I always follow 138East's advice and have never been disappointed. That being said, given you have lots of time, you might want to look into getting a Hyatt credit card Once you qualify and meet the spend requirement, you get some points but more importantly, it comes with two free nights at ANY of their properties including the Park Hyatt on 70th between 6 & 7 (maybe 7 & 8th?). Not as convenient to your places as 138East suggested but anytime you can get a NYC hotel room for free that normally runs upwards of $900 bucks, it is worth it my opinion.

We did this for our stay last April and really enjoyed it....our first time at a luxury hotel and it was fabulous...well except for having trouble getting out of the soaking tub but that story (and the pictures) will have to wait for my book! :')

I was looking at this and wondering how convenient and affordable cabs are. I'm walking stick disabled so don't want to try and walk too far if I can avoid it. We are being put in Le Parker Meridian on 56 or 57th St. Our departure is June 2018 so time to plan but I'm guessing we will be content seeing a Broadway show and or Radio City Music Hall.

Uber works fantastic in Manhattan. Get the Uber app. You will have door to door transportation and you can even sit and rest if the wait will be more than a few minutes.