Need Help With Seattle Lodging

cruzanisfun

4 of us will be arriving August 30 around 4:30 and boarding a cruise ship on September 1. We will have the evening of the 30th and all day the 31st to sightsee. We want to go to Pike's Market and the Waterfront. Not sure what else. I have been looking at downtown hotels, and they are WAY to expensive for us. I was also looking at hotels near the airport, but that doesn't seem very fun as there probably isn't much to do around there. Looking for lodging around $150 per night. What part of Seattle could we stay in that would have some good restaurants and maybe some shopping within walking distance of our hotel for the evening of the 30th, but that would also provide access to public transportation for getting downtown the next day for sightseeing? Is there such a place? I have never been to Seattle, so I know next to nothing about the areas of town. If it helps, the 4 of us are in good shape and don't mind walking several blocks to access transportation or get to a restaurant or whatever.

The hotels downtown are astronomically priced, unfortunately. [emoji53]

We've never stayed near the airport. We have stayed downtown in the heart of Seattle, and it is wonderful! Prices will definitely set you back around $300 per night for many properties.

Now, from Sea-Tac area there is a light rail that you could take to go downtown. There are many stops, and if you stay out far away you could probably get a decent price, but even $250 won't really get you much in the downtown area if anything.

You could always try Priceline or Hotwire, but honestly, I tried those sites a couple years ago and couldn't even find much through them, since hotel inventory is always very slim in Seattle Jun-Sept due to cruise ship crowds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ouch, I just checked prices for that time period. [emoji79][emoji79][emoji79]

Now it comes back to me ... we also went on that same weekend three years ago, and there is a huge music festival in town, and that time period is within the Labor Day holiday, too.

Can you try to book hotels through your cruise line? They have blocks of rooms reserved. Also, what we did when we went last time, we stayed downtown near the space needle, at the Hampton Inn. We had my mom, so we reserved a two bedroom suite. It had a living room and kitchen as well, two bathrooms. At that time it was $425-450 per night, but it was well worth it, considering that hotel rooms were all within the 300-450 per night range.

I think the Hampton was on 5th street. We enjoyed it immensely

Both of those properties are pretty marginal.

Looking in the opaque channel (Hotwire/Priceline) and the open channel (Kayak), I can't find a property in the city limits of Seattle under $225 a night that I would be willing to stay at for two hours for a tryst with a devastatingly handsome stranger, let alone two nights with my family.

Some of these rates are wishful thinking. Others will stick.

Here is what I would do: I would pick one of the major- or regional-brand airport properties on or near International Drive, with the exception of the otherwise-lovely Four Points which is so far south of the airport and even the new light rail station as to be useless. Book a refundable rate you can tolerate. From virtually any property that meets that description you'll be less than 15 minutes stroll from a light rail station (either Airport or Angle Lake) that will take you to the heart of the touristic areas in 45 minutes for $3ish each way. It's clean, bright, safe and above ground for about 2/3rds of the journey.

Keep watching rates for downtown, Pike Place market, Seattle Center, Stadium District, Capitol Hill, Convention Center and Waterfront. These could improve as late as the day of your arrival. If something decent pops up, cancel the airport reservation.

If something doesn't pop up, either keep the airport reservation or swap down to a lower-rate last-minute booking.

Some things to consider...

The light rail from the airport takes 40 min. to get downtown, and counting time to get to the station and back to a hotel, plus waiting for the train, you're looking at an hour each way.

Meanwhile, a 2-bedroom suite at the Hampton Inn a couple of blocks from the Space Needle can be had for around $420 for your days, or $210 per couple (assuming) including breakfast. That's maybe $50 more per couple/night than you'd spend at the airport area, but you'd be hours ahead, plus if you get tuckered out from touring, you could grab a nap rather than committing more hours on the train.

Or, rent a car for the two days and use it to stay someplace out of the city and commute in. There are a number of affordable hotels in areas like Lynnwood (north) or Bellevue (east) as well as the airport, where your hotel dollar would go further. So what if you have to pay to park in Seattle while you visit the sights; with four of you the parking will be cheaper than 4 x $6 for round trips on the train.

Or splurge a little and stay on the waterfront in Mukilteo, a cute little town a half hour north of Seattle. The Silver Cloud (a quality regional chain) sits on piling over the water, next door to a great seafood restaurant (Ivar's, a local legend) and steps from a very pretty little lighthouse and driftwood-covered beach with views of the Whidbey Island ferry and the Olympic mountains. Spend a couple of hours in Seattle visiting the Pike Place (no "s") market, but maybe use the car to see some sights that are less convenient (and way nicer) than the crowded downtown attractions. For your nights the Silver Cloud is under $200. https://www.silvercloud.com/mukilteo/ You could even do a day trip to Whidbey Island from Mukilteo - gorgeous, peaceful, and full of things to see and do. Or visit the Boeing Everett factory, biggest building in the world, ten minutes from the hotel.

Just saying, maybe think outside the box a little.

Some things to consider...

The light rail from the airport takes 40 min. to get downtown, and counting time to get to the station and back to a hotel, plus waiting for the train, you're looking at an hour each way.

Meanwhile, a 2-bedroom suite at the Hampton Inn a couple of blocks from the Space Needle can be had for around $420 for your days, or $210 per couple (assuming) including breakfast. That's maybe $50 more per couple/night than you'd spend at the airport area, but you'd be hours ahead, plus if you get tuckered out from touring, you could grab a nap rather than committing more hours on the train.

Just saying, maybe think outside the box a little.

Agreed. I stayed there, and those suites were very nice, and the location is a hop, skip and a jump from Space Needle, and then they could take the monorail to the end and walk a couple short blocks to Pike. WAY more convenient to the things OP expressed their group is interested in doing. So much time will be wasted

Trying to get from point A to point B, I'm afraid. Right now a two bedroom apartment at Hampton is $417 plus taxes for their dates, AAA rate

Well, I wish them luck, whatever they should decide to do [emoji3]

Many people stay at the airport for the reduced cost of hotel rooms and commute into downtown Seattle via the light rail and then back to their airport hotel. It does add to travel time but certainly worth saving $100+ per night on a downtown hotel room unless you can stay in a two room suite for both couples.

There are several hotels in the Seatac area that will come close to your ballpark of $150. Take a look at LaQuinta. They all provide shuttles to the airport and light rail station.

How about this place ? It shows on Priceline for $230 a night, and it is very hip and cute! We almost stayed there when we went. Located in a pretty good area, too .... Hotel 5 or it is listed as Staypineapple Hotel 5...... sorry having problems linking, but if you desire separate hotel might work for you

$255 plus $15 amenity fee plus taxes on their own site ... $15 cheaper through Priceline.

I agree, stay out of downtown. We stayed in downtown 2 years ago, was completely disappointed with the smells ( garbage and urine) homeless people all over, needles and feces on the sidewalks and streets. Stay in surrounding areas that most posts suggest. The only worthwhile thing downtown is the Pike Place market. We are arriving 3 days early in May and our cost for the 3 days is less than $400 total. The first night we are staying at Four Points, The next day we are renting a car to go to Mt Rainier, then on to Yakama for the second night. On the Third day we are going through the wine country in Eastern Washington and ending up in Leavenworth ( a small Bavarian looking town). The next day we are taking our rental car back after a 3 hr drive and start our Alaska Cruise.

I agree, stay out of downtown. We stayed in downtown 2 years ago, was completely disappointed with the smells ( garbage and urine) homeless people all over, needles and feces on the sidewalks and streets. Stay in surrounding areas that most posts suggest. The only worthwhile thing downtown is the Pike Place market. We are arriving 3 days early in May and our cost for the 3 days is less than $400 total. The first night we are staying at Four Points, The next day we are renting a car to go to Mt Rainier, then on to Yakama for the second night. On the Third day we are going through the wine country in Eastern Washington and ending up in Leavenworth ( a small Bavarian looking town). The next day we are taking our rental car back after a 3 hr drive and start our Alaska Cruise.

Wow, we've never experienced anything like that in the last three times that we've been there. In fact, the Hampton Inn was in a nice residential-type area. I see a lot of what you describe in my own city, but I just didn't see it in Seattle [emoji45] I think, sadly, this is the state of any big city these days.

Wow, we've never experienced anything like that in the last three times that we've been there. In fact, the Hampton Inn was in a nice residential-type area. I see a lot of what you describe in my own city, but I just didn't see it in Seattle [emoji45] I think, sadly, this is the state of any big city these days.

We stay downtown 3-4 times per year and although there is a homeless issue in downtown Seattle, it’s really not that different from many cities. We’ve seen nothing like cheone mentioned.

cheone had a bad experience 2 years ago and evidently wants to share it with everyone. If you look back at their posts you will see this consistent theme. A couple of them have been deleted by CC admins as they just became incessant rant.

I'm staying Seattle post cruise in June. Was looking at the astronomical prices for hotels and after many grueling hours perusing websites and hotel sites, Just decided to book with a decent hotel near where I wanted to stay. I'm not going to have many 40th anniversaries in my lifetime, so biting the bullet and paying the extra for the hotel. Don't worry too much as I'm sure you'll find plenty to do with your time in Seattle.

Have you looked at area aroun Southcenter Mall? The area would be Tukwila. Just east of seatac but in an area with lots of walkable restaraunts and shopping. Its also on the light rail line or transit into downtown. Look at

seattlesouthside.com

as they will show lots of hotels. Please ask before booking here or on tripadvisor before booking as some show hotels are far from the airport. Also look at hotwire.com anywhere in the pike place zone. Anything within Seattle is an easy cab or uber to downtown or to the port. There is a new Hampton Inn at Northgate or a new Staybridge Suites on Aurora ave n. Because they are new perhaps their rates will be more reasonable. Hotel 5 is nice. Its a remodeled Ramada Inn. Old fashioned but redecorated in very contempory design. Close to everything.

We stay downtown 3-4 times per year and although there is a homeless issue in downtown Seattle, it’s really not that different from many cities. We’ve seen nothing like cheone mentioned.

cheone had a bad experience 2 years ago and evidently wants to share it with everyone. If you look back at their posts you will see this consistent theme. A couple of them have been deleted by CC admins as they just became incessant rant.

This my observations and experience I had 2 years ago staying in a hotel in the Pioneer Square area. I will be staying near the Airport from now on. Can rent a car and stay in a much nicer hotel than downtown for 1/2 the price. Doing research, there a a lot more to see in areas outside of the downtown area (Ballard Locks, Museum of Flight that is real close to SeaTac, Mt Rainier, the many wineries near Seattle, and many other attractions that are in these posts.

Glaciers, I do not question your opinion of Seattle downtown and none of my posts have deleted by the CC. Maybe your post should be deleted as you are not following the rules by questioning my post and making false Statements about me. I agree the Seattle area outside of Downtown Seattle is beautiful and there is a lot and variety of attractions to see.

Without a car, I wouldn't suggest Tukwila. While the light rail station name is "Tukwila/International Boulevard", it's not really near the Tukwila hotels, and shuttle service will add even more time to the haul. They are decent and cheap and most feature free or cheap parking during your stay.

I disagree that Pike Place Market is the only reason to visit downtown Seattle. The Seattle Art Museum is great. The aquarium is award-winning. There's a pretty awesome restaurant scene, lots of options for live music and the performing arts, and, bluntly, I'm in downtown constantly and have *never* seen human feces in the 18 years I've lived and worked here. Compared to the three distinct piles between the pier in San Francisco and my firm's offices at 2 Embarcadero, I'd say Seattle is pretty good at dealing with the challenges of being a major metropolitan area.

I don't dislike the idea of the 2Br suite at the Hampton Inn one bit. It's a nice enough neighborhood, there's good pubs and dining within a short walk, and it's maybe a ten-minute stroll to Seattle Center, including the Space Needle, MoPop and monorail access to downtown proper.

My family and I will be cruising this summer and have chosen to stay at The Moore Hotel downtown within walking distance of Pike Place Market and close to other attractions. It's an older, historic hotel and much more affordable,than the hotel we've previously stayed at.

My family and I will be cruising this summer and have chosen to stay at The Moore Hotel downtown within walking distance of Pike Place Market and close to other attractions. It's an older, historic hotel and much more affordable,than the hotel we've previously stayed at.

There's no air conditioning in the Moore, so hope you're not there on a night when you need it. And try for a room as far south as possible in the building; at the north end is the entrance/exit from the Moore Theater (below the hotel) which is a music venue. There can be a lot of street noise after the performance (if there's one that night) and sometimes the performers even take to the streets to continue their concerts alfresco.

We are staying at the Moore post cruise in September (9th -11th) - we had asked for a room higher up where we can hopefully catch a breeze (saw that the windows open)

Couple of blocks from Pike Place and we are aware of the location we will be in

I just checked and rooms are running about $140/night for those nights