Need battery carrier for lithium-ion battery

mamasylvia

I'm going to be bringing a spare scooter battery to Alaska and need something fireproof for it to travel in. I measured it and it's 12" x 6" x 4". There are tons of battery carriers on Amazon but nothing anywhere near large enough. Does anyone have ideas? I'm thinking I may have to hit the local fabric stores and make something.

Perhaps a fire blanket would be rated enough $25-$40

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check for an appropriately sized Pelican case. They are very rugged, waterproof and self compensating for pressure changes (read altitude). They aren't cheap but will last for a VERY long time.

Just curious but why does it have to be fireproof? And how can you make a fabric fireproof?

Amazon has a lot of canvass type carriers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD5H8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the ones I bought. The large one carries a battery, charger, tool pouch, bungee cords, flashlight/headlamp. The large bag is 14-inch x 5-1/2-inch x 6-inches, which seems like it would fill the bill. But you'd have to fireproof it.

The small one my wife absconded with :hearteyes::)

I'm not sure why it has to be "fire proof" either (perhaps a change in TSA requirements?), but I believe the OP really means "flame retardant", of which Nomex is the most readily known example of a fabric that is flame retardant.

According to the FAA website a special carrying case is not required though the specific airline may have other requirements. Following was copied directly from the FAA website https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=40 :

"Lithium ion batteries must be removed from this type of mobility device and battery terminals protected from short circuit. The lithium ion batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only"

Pelican cases aren't fireproof or even fire-resistant. I may wind up going with something similar but I can get a similar case for $10 at Walmart and add my own foam to fit.

I guess it doesn't have to be fireproof but I would prefer that if possible, just as a precaution in case some airline person decides to be officious and claim it's not allowed. FAA regs require that a battery either has to be in a device and non-removable (which is pretty much impossible, how would you ever change out a defective battery if it wasn't removable?) and unable to accidentally start (which is easy enough, my Triaxe requires a key to start and I keep the key with me). I'm not sure from the regs whether that only applies to wet batteries or also applies to lithium, and since it's not clear I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm also not sure why the link to the Travelscoot website. They have a battery carrier but it's for their own batteries, which are not the same size or dimensions as the Triaxe batteries.

bitob, I'm very aware that airlines don't always enforce the regs. My first flight with the scooter, they didn't make me remove the lithium battery from the scooter and keep it with me in the cabin, which they technically should have done. But I'm not going to count on them not enforcing the regs if I can prepare something in advance as insurance. Plus, frankly, I would rather have it in a carrier than carried loose and exposed to people bumping into it or curious fingers poking the connector.

Pelican cases aren't fireproof or even fire-resistant. I may wind up going with something similar but I can get a similar case for $10 at Walmart and add my own foam to fit.

I guess it doesn't have to be fireproof but I would prefer that if possible, just as a precaution in case some airline person decides to be officious and claim it's not allowed. FAA regs require that a battery either has to be in a device and non-removable (which is pretty much impossible, how would you ever change out a defective battery if it wasn't removable?) and unable to accidentally start (which is easy enough, my Triaxe requires a key to start and I keep the key with me). I'm not sure from the regs whether that only applies to wet batteries or also applies to lithium, and since it's not clear I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm also not sure why the link to the Travelscoot website. They have a battery carrier but it's for their own batteries, which are not the same size or dimensions as the Triaxe batteries.

bitob, I'm very aware that airlines don't always enforce the regs. My first flight with the scooter, they didn't make me remove the lithium battery from the scooter and keep it with me in the cabin, which they technically should have done. But I'm not going to count on them not enforcing the regs if I can prepare something in advance as insurance. Plus, frankly, I would rather have it in a carrier than carried loose and exposed to people bumping into it or curious fingers poking the connector.

I am guessing that I have taken my Travelscoot on about 20 flights over the past few years and every single time I have been required to take the battery into the cabin with me and I always put it in the case that came with the scooter. You can see the red and green case on the Travelscoot web site and see what it says about fire retardant etc. and that might give you an idea of what to look for. Good luck. I agree - better to be safe than sorry and doing your research ahead of time. Nothing worse than having the airline refuse you once you are at the airport.

I found some fire retardaint insulation-type material (designed for potholders) and if I can't find anything better I'll just sew a couple of seams to make pockets to put the batteries in. Not ideal but better than nothing, which is what I have now, and the pockets will fit inside my carry-on.

• 4 weeks later...

Just following up in case anyone is interested. I wound up sewing that insulation material into 2 sleeves sized to accommodatae the Triaxe batteries. I carried my extra battery in a sleeve in my carry-on, no one asked about it or even seemed to care. I did carry a roll of electrical tape with me in case someone wanted extra protection. I am still glad I made the sleeves, though - the extra battery travelled in my carryon along with my camera, packing cube with change of clothes, medications, and miscellaneous stuff and I couldn't guarantee there was nothing that could possibly lead to a short. The insulation material seemed to provide adequate protection. The airlines apparently accept that the removed scooter key is adequate insurance against the scooter spontaneously starting (which, of course, it is) so I didn't have to remove the battery from the scooter for either flight. Mexico8, does the Travelscoot use a key? (And I sure enjoy watching the gate agent's face when they see how small my scooter folds up!)

I also had a fun conversation at one gate. The agent filling out the gate check form said he was new to doing it and called over a supervisor to help him. She told him to ask the passenger for information like what type of battery it was and how many watts, as we knew more about our own scooters than they ever would! I told her she was a smart lady.

Once again, flying with my scooter was relatively easy. Denver airport shuttle busses all kneel so I rode the scooter on. DH figured out how to load the suitcases onto my wheelchair and that made it easier for him to haul the luggage around. I check the manual wheelchair with the rest of our luggage (have never been charged for it) and scoot to the gate.

I'm going to be bringing a spare scooter battery to Alaska and need something fireproof for it to travel in. I measured it and it's 12" x 6" x 4". There are tons of battery carriers on Amazon but nothing anywhere near large enough. Does anyone have ideas? I'm thinking I may have to hit the local fabric stores and make something.

look at http://www.travelscoot.com. I have a second battery and the bag they sell holds 2 of mine

There is no key for a Travelscoot. I have to disconnect the battery and bring it on the plane with me. I do wish it had a key when I want to leave it outside a store etc. There is an on and off switch but it would be easy for anyone to steal the Travelscoot because they don't need a key.

I had a lock cable that I bought with the Travelscoot. I never used it and the battery has died and it won't emit any sound now if someone were to try to steal it or break the cable. It does lock but it's not as effective as it was and I don't feel like buying another one and having it die after two years.

I was thinking more for airplane travel. I suspect that the key on mine is what keeps me from having to remove the battery when I fly. With just an on/off switch, something could theoretically turn the Travelscoot on if the battery was in place.

I was thinking more for airplane travel. I suspect that the key on mine is what keeps me from having to remove the battery when I fly. With just an on/off switch, something could theoretically turn the Travelscoot on if the battery was in place.

Actually the key has nothing to do with the battery left in the scooter when stowing. In fact the key could have been knocked to the on position when stowing. In addition the ground crew could have accidentally left it in the on position when stowing if they used the key to move the scooter in the drive mode rather than operating the scooter in the freewheel mode.

Another thing to note is that if the key is left on the tiller of the scooter the top of it could be snapped off and the rest remain in the keyhole in the process of it being stowed or removed making for a big problem when it's returned to your destination. This has happen to several people I know. The key should always be removed and the ground crew operate it only in the freewheel mode. It's also very helpful to the ground crew that instructions to operate the scooter in freewheel mode as well as return the scooter to the locked mode be attached securely to the scooter. A spare key should also be brought .

Thinking of purchasing a Travelscoot specifically for cruises, instead of our usual habit of hiring an electric wheelchair to be placed in our cabin once we board. Has anyone bought the Aluminium case for air transport or isn't it necessary. I worry about the item going in the hold as we'd be snookered without it if it got damaged.

I'm told it's not necessary. You ride it right up to the door of the plane. You don't check it. I'll know more as my upcoming trip starts on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thinking of purchasing a Travelscoot specifically for cruises, instead of our usual habit of hiring an electric wheelchair to be placed in our cabin once we board. Has anyone bought the Aluminium case for air transport or isn't it necessary. I worry about the item going in the hold as we'd be snookered without it if it got damaged.

As previously stated the Aluminum case really isn't necessary as the scooter can bed riven directly up to the plane whether the aircraft is connected to a Jetway or its boarding process is on the tarmac where you board/unboard by steps. If you can do steps you're generally board using something like a food service truck that raises to me the galley store.

This link https://www.youtube.com/user/TravelScoot contains many video to assist with your decision to purchase a travel scoot. The man in the video is Herb ( think that's the correct name) who is the engineer that developed the scooter in addition to manufacturing, marketing and selling it . One of the video's shown in the link is that of Herb going through an airport as well as riding it up to the aircraft. Keep in mind that this video was done prior to the new regulations pertaining to lithium batteries'. Therefore note that when Herb disconnects the battery, places it in a tote and left in the cloth carrier (both the tote and cloth carrier are option items) on the scooter that can no long be done . The tote bag should be carried onto the plane and stowed in the overhead bins. If you decide to purchase the cloth carrier it's highly recommended not to leave anything it that carrier when stowing it on the aircraft.

If you do purchase a Travelscoot and think you might have occasion to actually check it like luggage suggest you go to a second hand store and purchase a hard -shell golf case as that generally works as well as the expensive aluminum case. The scooter as well as the hard-shell golf case travel free of charge. Purchasing a couple universal HC decals would be recommended to be placed on the case.

Victoria2,

The case that comes with the TravelScoot is a canvas duct not an aluminum. On the TravelScoot site they do NOT recommend that you put the scoot in the case and check it as baggage. I also recommend that you look at the SmartScoot as well (Personally I think you get more for the money with a SmartScoot) There is also an EFORCE1, I saw it on Amazon, it looks interesting but I think it's pretty ugly. As far as taking it along with you on a plane, you drive it down the jetway put a gate check tag on it and remove the battery and the gate personnel stow it in the hold of the plane. When the plane lands you wait till everyone is off the plane and your scooter will be waiting for you just outside the plane in the jetway. This is for any mobility device. You CAN rent a TravelScoot or a SmartScoot from Scoot Anywhere and rent to buy as well.

I wish someone had said this to me when I was looking for a scooter. TAKE your TIME deciding which one. There are literally a 100 plus kinds of scooter. Some have different weight limits etc. Some look like luggage when folded up the prices range from $400 to $3000. The SmartScoot and travelScoot are in the 22 - 2500 dollar range. IMHO that's a significant amount of money, try not to make a snap decision.

The Disabled Cruisers boards on Cruise Critic have a lot of information as well in case you're looking for info.

I do not work for, sell, or otherwise get any commission from Scoot Anywhere. I bought my scoot from those folks because I was torn between TravelScoot and SmartScoot. He convinced me (With his answers) to buy a SmartScoot. Thus far I am happy with that decision.

Thank you so much for all your replies. This is a new area for us because to save any hassle, instead of taking our own chair with us, we have always hired mobility aids when we cruise and have land based holidays, relying on hotel wheelchairs [always pre-booked] for short pre-cruise stays and airport/port assistance [again, pre-booked]. I appreciate the time taken for experienced user advice.

Hiring an electric wheelchair for the number of weeks a year we have one placed on-board for is expensive and it's time we bought our own ultra lightweight scooter for holiday travel purposes, hence the advice needed.

As this device will be purely for the cruise ship and I can't envisage us changing our present travel arrangements by actually using the scooter when transiting an airport, the ability to fold a device into a hard protective case [i.e.the aluminium Travelscoot Zarges Flight Case ] is the major factor in choice of lightweight scooter.

Prof, thanks for your reply. I have found that travelscoot does have a hard case

Toria, we don't really want to use it transiting the airport but I look forward to hearing of your experience which might change our minds

XXOO thanks for the golf tube tip and yes, we've ridden on a scissor lift on a few occasions, most memorably when a top A380 air bridge was stuck in Dubai and we couldn't go down the internal staircase.

The plus to that little bit of drama was we got taken in the scissor lift truck to our next terminal which cut out at least half an hour of airport transiting with me scurrying beside an airport assistant intent on beating the world record for airport assistance.

Thanks again everyone and I will have more questions I'm sure.

Victoria 2 x

Victoria, I'm curious why you don't want to use the scooter in the airport. I've flown twice this year and mine made a HUGE difference in trip difficulty. DH was able to just worry about managing his and my carryons because on my scooter, I am totally independent. I even was able to leave a tired DH seated with the carryons while *I* went hunting for the lounge! I drove it to the gate, folded it myself (my Triaxe is so easy to fold and unfold I can do it myself even though I can't stand very long - I think most of the folding scooters are also super easy), and walked to my seat. So far the airlines have been very good about handling my scooter. I do not put it in a protective case, but I noticed the tiller got knocked around just in the back of my car, so I attached a bungee cord to the frame with cable ties and bungee it together whenever I fold it. That does not affect the handle at the top (which protects the front wheel when it is opened) but keeps everything in line.

I completely agree with the Professor's recommendation to take your time. I found the following foldable scooters when I was shopping for mine last year: Triaxe Sport (which it what I wound up buying), Travelscoot, Smartscoot, Luggie, Solax Transformer, Geo Cruiser Elite (this is a powerchair), Di Blasi, Foldawheel, Heartway Passport, Rascal Auto-Go, Shoprider Scootie, Speedy, Tzora Lexis Light and Easy Travel Elite, and X-treme. There are probably more now. Some fold themselves with the push of a button. Some of these don't seem to be available in the U.S, which is where I live. They all have different strengths and weaknesses so you can see what will suit your own preferences.

Victoria, I'm curious why you don't want to use the scooter in the airport. I've flown twice this year and mine made a HUGE difference in trip difficulty. DH was able to just worry about managing his and my carryons because on my scooter, I am totally independent. I even was able to leave a tired DH seated with the carryons while *I* went hunting for the lounge! I drove it to the gate, folded it myself (my Triaxe is so easy to fold and unfold I can do it myself even though I can't stand very long - I think most of the folding scooters are also super easy), and walked to my seat. So far the airlines have been very good about handling my scooter. I do not put it in a protective case, but I noticed the tiller got knocked around just in the back of my car, so I attached a bungee cord to the frame with cable ties and bungee it together whenever I fold it. That does not affect the handle at the top (which protects the front wheel when it is opened) but keeps everything in line.

I completely agree with the Professor's recommendation to take your time. I found the following foldable scooters when I was shopping for mine last year: Triaxe Sport (which it what I wound up buying), Travelscoot, Smartscoot, Luggie, Solax Transformer, Geo Cruiser Elite (this is a powerchair), Di Blasi, Foldawheel, Heartway Passport, Rascal Auto-Go, Shoprider Scootie, Speedy, Tzora Lexis Light and Easy Travel Elite, and X-treme. There are probably more now. Some fold themselves with the push of a button. Some of these don't seem to be available in the U.S, which is where I live. They all have different strengths and weaknesses so you can see what will suit your own preferences.

Hello Mamasylvia

Thanks for replying.

We seem to have a winning formula because, so far, we have marvellous airport assistance, from check in to final car pick up. It suits us.

Assistance is there at check in to take us through immigration and security and onto the lounge; they come and pick us up for pre boarding and at the other end, are there at the cabin door waiting with a wheelchair as soon as we deplane and so we don't have to hang around waiting for our own chair/scooter to be brought up to us; they know the layout of the airport/ terminals and know which short cuts to take; they help me drag our bags off the conveyor belt.I could go on but basically it's no thinking travel especially when transiting major hubs and occasionally having to recheck bags. It's hard enough travelling long distances, and changing planes too, especially when the disabled traveller can only stand up with the aid of canes or crutches and after many hours in a plane, it means someone will be helping me when I'm making sure he is OK and also doing all the thinking for us.

Healthy tips to all the help involved and we go on our way. The day the winning formula beaks down is the day we'll re think our methods.

Thank you again and I will look at all the advice given, especially from the Prof and yourself regarding brands and the 'take our time' advice.

Wise words indeed.

The Rascal Company was forced to close operations at least 5 years ago or longer. Reason due to questionable practices regarding its advertising as well as aledged improprieties regarding Medicare claims processing .

Though some distributors still have old inventory of the Rascal Scooters , including the Auto-Go , replacement parts as well as service for any scooter formerly manufactured by the Rascal Company are very difficult to find since its closure.

DISCLAIMER : The Rascal Mobility Scooters sold through Walgreens' website and Walgreens Medical Equipment brick & mortar stores were not made by nor ever made by The Rascal Company. Rather the Walgreens Rascal Mobility Scooters are actually the Pride Travel Pro manufacture by Pride Mobility. Pride Mobility private labels these scooters for Walgreens.