Ice Wine

Earl Colby Pottinger

I know this is an odd question, as far as I can find searching for Azamara Wine List there is no Ice Wine available.

Did I miss it somehow.

If they do not have it, can I bring a bottle or two on-board?

Azamara ships certainly carry a selection of desert wines but I can't say for certain whether any ice wines are included. However, you can bring on board as much as you can carry. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you, I did check the desert wines but did not see any Ice wines. So I will bring my own, can I leave it in their storage to be bought to my dinner table, or is there any problem doing it that way?

I believe that you'll have to pay a $10 corkage fee if you drink your own wine in any of the ship's restaurants. However, with the high price of ice wine that doesn't represent that much of a proportional increase. You can drink it in your cabin at no extra cost. I wouldn't think that there would be a problem for the restaurant to store it for you. However, that presupposes that you'll eat in the same place all the time. I would think that it would be easier to keep it in the refrigerator in your cabin and take it with you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since you are a solo cruiser, I can think of no better way to cement the bonds of friendship than to bring a bottle or two onboard and then share it with your new acquaintances.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Considering that Ontario makes just about the best ice wine in the world, I think bringing it on board sounds like a great idea. I myself would just keep it in my cabin and open it perhaps after dinner, since its really a dessert wine.

Thanks for the positive comment and spreading the word!

I was raised on a grape farm in the peninsula (they will call them "vineyards" today) and have schoolmates who are making a successful living pursuing their wine- making craft.

Every time we cruise, I suggest that they add some Ontario products.

Of course, as I've posted before, I also suggest that they more accurately relabel the English bacon in Windows as Canadian bacon. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course, as I've posted before, I also suggest that they more accurately relabel the English bacon in Windows as Canadian bacon. [emoji1]

Nordski I would not disagree with you. There is no way the bacon onboard is remotely "English" in origin or taste.

Canadian bacon is a step up from that hideous streaky American stuff but for true English ....or more accurately British bacon, then you have to be in the UK and enjoying a bacon buttie with brown sauce. 😄

Nordski I would not disagree with you. There is no way the bacon onboard is remotely "English" in origin or taste.

Canadian bacon is a step up from that hideous streaky American stuff but for true English ....or more accurately British bacon, then you have to be in the UK and enjoying a bacon buttie with brown sauce. 😄

Well, thanks for your very kind suppor.......Wait a minute!!!!

All right, we will shortly be in Southampton pre-cruise and I accept your challenge. Do you have a recommended vendor there?

But surely a foodstuff named a "buttie" virtually disqualifies itself for consideration from the moment of its creation. Or does that word have a different connotation in England (Britain)?

I have already agreed to try a G&T on this cruise. I hope to report on both of these rather exotic items.

Perhaps I will also take along some ice wine to enjoy and share in the Living Room.

A bacon buttie is a sandwich on a white bread roll - this distinguishes it from a sandwich on sliced white bread which is a bacon sarnie. Both with plenty of butter and bacon fat from the frying pan - British health food at it's best, but they don't half taste good.

P.S. I think 'buttie' may derive from 'butter' (implying a buttered bread sandwich) and a love of alliteration, but I don't really know.

A bacon buttie is a sandwich on a white bread roll - this distinguishes it from a sandwich on sliced white bread which is a bacon sarnie. Both with plenty of butter and bacon fat from the frying pan - British health food at it's best, but they don't half taste good.

P.S. I think 'buttie' may derive from 'butter' (implying a buttered bread sandwich) and a love of alliteration, but I don't really know.

Thanks so much!

That seems to make sense. I confess I had heard of "butties" but not "sarnies".

I will create a new thread and apologies for taking this one off topic.

Only slightly OT: on a recent cruise they had some lovely fizzy pink Moscato as one of the complimentary wines. It was too sweet to accompany a meal for my taste, but fabulous as a dessert wine. Not as luscious as an ice wine, but very welcome as an included wine. I hope they keep that one in the rotation!

(And jollyjones - I hope we meet up on Azamara one of these days!)

I have only drunk Canadian Ice Wines, I have tried some Late Harvest which are also Canadian in source so I have not tried any of the sweeter wines from other countries.

The reason I know I do not enjoy the regular wines was the brother of my ex-girlfriend was a wine fan (not expert, fan) and we sat around the fire-place at my cabin one week sampling about 40 different ones.

I clearly do not like Port, I like the Whites more than the Reds and the Blushes just did nothing for me.

I bought an Ice Wine as a gift for my dad one Father's Day, and that is how I found out I really like them. I also really like a Ice Wine and Brandy blend so I know there must be more wines out there that I will like.

Once I finished building my house later this year I will build in a wine storage room (a small one) and start to try to broaden my tastes.

As for the Moscato, a quick search of the LCBO http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/search?searchTerm=MOSCATO shows a number of different ones. Which would you recommend?

I think the pink Moscato I had on Journey might have been Risata, with pretty flowers on the label. I don't know for sure if they always have it, since it was part of the daily pour for a few days, and that seems to change often. Dessert wine isn't normally a feature of the daily pour, but this happened to suit my taste very well.

• 3 weeks later...
I believe that you'll have to pay a $10 corkage fee if you drink your own wine in any of the ship's restaurants. However, with the high price of ice wine that doesn't represent that much of a proportional increase. You can drink it in your cabin at no extra cost. I wouldn't think that there would be a problem for the restaurant to store it for you. However, that presupposes that you'll eat in the same place all the time. I would think that it would be easier to keep it in the refrigerator in your cabin and take it with you.

Unless things have changed, I recall that once you pay corkage, the bottle is stored in a centralized location and can be retrieved from any dining venue on the ship. Mind you, it can get lost along the way (i.e., take some time to retrieve) or mis-stored (white wine not chilled, red wine super-chilled). On our last Az cruise, we had red wine that was stored to freezing and could not be drunk the next evening and had to buy replacement glasses that was at an acceptable temperature range.

I don't think there are many, if any, Ontario/Canada wines on the wine list. Even if there were, I agree that you are almost certainly going to be better off bringing ice wine with you and paying the corkage fee, which is actually pretty reasonable.

BTW, I have to speak up on the subject of Canadian Bacon". First of all, there is NO SUCH THING here in Canada. It is purely an American invention. Yes, in Canada we have what we call "Back Bacon", sometimes rolled in peameal when it is then called "Peameal Bacon". Back bacon has very little resemblance to the American invention, which is like a piece of ham. If anything, good back bacon is more closely related to English bacon. Now I'm getting hungry...