Saving on excursions and staying safe

I'm the guy that thought you must buy the cruise line excursions. 2 cruises and 100's of dollars later I decided to check the tourist info sites for each port. I found great ideas from the local tourist bureaus but no info about safety in their ports. Would y'all help me out, please.

Curacao - taxi to Blue Bay for snorkeling

Cartagena - Shopping at the Basurto market or Rosario Islands Day Trip

Limon - taxi/bus to Punta Cocles beach

Cozumel - Paradise or Sky beach by taxi

Puntarenas - 15 minute walk to Playa Las Manchas beach

Puerto Quetzal - open to suggestions

like everyone else we want to have fun but not get killed lol. :cool:

We NEVER (or rarely) take ANY excursion, whether thru the ship or private! The key is reading up on your ports. Most are quite easy to DIY...and common sense (which some folks suspend on vacation...idiots) is key to having a good time.

Get a guidebook on your ports...libraries have them if you don't want to buy one....and you can do pretty much anything you want on your own!. Our exceptions are places that require more than 1 mode of transportation...in that case, a ship's excursion is the easiest, most foolproof way.

Guidebooks tell you all about points of interest, transportation options, SAFETY issues, restaurants, restrooms, shopping, beaches, etc....the more you know, the better time you will have...and save a freaking BUNDLE of $$$$!

I enjoyed my visit to Old Town in Cartagena, but I'm glad I didn't do it on my own. Very aggressive vendors and lots of beggars. Our guide knew how to deal with them.

Roz

I enjoyed my visit to Old Town in Cartagena, but I'm glad I didn't do it on my own. Very aggressive vendors and lots of beggars. Our guide knew how to deal with them.

Roz

I agree and, also, a "guidebook" is not going to give you the history and lore of a place like a local tour guide can. I don't just want to look at a place or read a plaque, I want to "know" it's history and be able to ask a few questions about it, and last time I checked guidebooks don't talk! Sometimes it is more than worth it to spend some $$$. :D

When I did a Danube River cruise, excursions were included in the price, but you could go out on your own if that suited you. I took the ship's excursions for 2 reasons - they were already paid for, and Uniworld used local guides. It was interesting to talk with them about what it was like to live in Hungary and Slovakia during Soviet times vs. today, and how the transition continues to this day. Agree, you don't get that kind of personal interaction from a guidebook or a plaque.

Roz

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Roz

We took a private tour in Cartagena, Columbia and had no trouble with the vendors. Maybe because we were not part of a group of 50 climbing off a bus.

• 2 weeks later...