Will Empress Stay Or Go

Will Empress Stay or Go  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Will Empress Stay or Go

• If Cuba goes so does Empress
    • They will keep her for 3/4 night cruises

According to news reports I read tonight, it says that cruises shouldn't be affected by change in policy. It has more to do with individuals going not through groups. Now, that could change overnight but Miami Herald is saying that based on what was released to them, cruises will go on. I'm happy because I just booked Empress for August 26.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

According to news reports I read tonight, it says that cruises shouldn't be affected by change in policy. It has more to do with individuals going not through groups. Now, that could change overnight but Miami Herald is saying that based on what was released to them, cruises will go on. I'm happy because I just booked Empress for August 26.

Please join our Empress August 26 roll call.

IF Cuba goes I think they'll hang on to Empress for a little while at least. Didn't they spend over 50 mil refurbishing her last year? I would think they'd at least want to get their money back, unless of course another line is willing to pay top dollar for her. Who knows.

I would think they'd at least want to get their money back, unless of course another line is willing to pay top dollar for her.

They would probably only get their money back at Cuban itinerary prices - the rest of the itineraries are way too cheap to make any reasonable return -the reason they got rid of it in the first place.

We took the Empress in April and enjoyed the ship. The public spaces are very nice and we like that there is a specialty restaurant (Chops) . Terrific Schooner bar and beautiful Boleros with an outside open deck. No D or Suite lounge but that is OK with us. The ship is perfect for the 3/4 night sailings. I prefer it over the last Sovereign class left ( Majesty) that does the 3/4 night sailing from Port Canaveral.

Not sure what will happen to Cuba travel, but I thought I heard that cruise ship travel will be permitted.

M

They would probably only get their money back at Cuban itinerary prices - the rest of the itineraries are way too cheap to make any reasonable return -the reason they got rid of it in the first place.

That's a valid point, I really hadn't thought of that. I hope they are able to keep going to Cuba. I really want to go sometime next fall/winter when it's not too hot.

We took the Empress in April and enjoyed the ship. The public spaces are very nice and we like that there is a specialty restaurant (Chops) . Terrific Schooner bar and beautiful Boleros with an outside open deck. No D or Suite lounge but that is OK with us. The ship is perfect for the 3/4 night sailings. I prefer it over the last Sovereign class left ( Majesty) that does the 3/4 night sailing from Port Canaveral.

Not sure what will happen to Cuba travel, but I thought I heard that cruise ship travel will be permitted.

M

I really hope this is true.

I totally disagree that the "fate seems to be sealed." I've read the leaks and I've seen nothing indicating cruises will be prohibited. In fact, I'll be surprised if that actually happens. I'm not saying it won't....just that it'll surprise me.

Many have posted the source from Reuters, good news the article says the following:

"The new policy will ban most U.S. business deals with the Armed Forces Business Enterprises Group (GAESA), a sprawling conglomerate involved in all sectors of the economy, but make exceptions related to air and sea travel, the officials said. This will essentially shield U.S. airlines and cruise lines now serving the island."

"As a result, the changes – though far-reaching – appear to be less sweeping than many pro-engagement advocates had feared."

After reading the article it looks like Empress is here to stay for Cuba at least for the next couple of years. They are going to continue to let Cruise lines go to Cuba and Flights. There will be no restrictions on Rum and Cigars either. There are some restrictions, but nothing I see (at least according to Reuters) that will stop Cruises from sailing to Cuba anytime soon. I did notice that RCL wasn't booking cruises to Havanna in 2018 until recently I visited their website and now see 2018 Havanna cruises, so they must know it will be okay for at least through 2017-2018. (I didn't check 2019)

I do believe RCL would have kept Empress working for a while even without Cuba to the Bahamas and Cozumel as they continue to mix Bahama and Cozumel Cruises in between Havanna Sailings. I was on Empress in March this year for Key West and Nassau and it seemed to be capturing the 4-day "cheap booze cruise spring breaker crowd pretty well". So I believe they would have kept her working even without Cuba for that market segment at least for a couple of years.

Though I am sure Cuba was a primary motivator to bring Empress back, it wasn't the only reason. Pullmantor isn't growing as fast as RCL had hoped and they didn't really have a place for Empress at Pullmantor anymore. Which was another reason they brought her back into the Royal fleet.

I have been watching the Cuba Policy closely as I booked Empress again for November 12th 2017 for Key West and Cuba!

Please no political statements or replies to this post, I don't care if you love or hate Trump or Former President Obama. I am simply stating what the current United States Policy is shaping up to be in regards to Cuba according to Reuters and how it impacts Cuban Cruise Itineraries.

I will post how the trip to Cuba went after we go. ;)

Past Cruises:

Empress of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Carnival Victory

Majesty of the Seas

Enchantment of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

Carnival Ecstacy

It looks like the cruise companies will be allowed to sail, but there will be more hassle for the individuals - keeping 5 years of documentation, and possibly forced excursions among other limitations.

As such, I can see RC retiring the itinerary in about a year when demand plummets. Too much hassle for a vacation.

It looks like the cruise companies will be allowed to sail, but there will be more hassle for the individuals - keeping 5 years of documentation, and possibly forced excursions among other limitations.

As such, I can see RC retiring the itinerary in about a year when demand plummets. Too much hassle for a vacation.

Like the initial post in this thread has shown, no one can say what, if any, affect this policy change will have. The demand will plummet because RCI will run out of customers eager to go to Cuba.

Like the initial post in this thread has shown, no one can say what, if any, affect this policy change will have. The demand will plummet because RCI will run out of customers eager to go to Cuba.

Royal Caribbean website has no actual excursions posted, but I am looking at NCL site excursions; walking tours are $100 per person, evening cabaret is $200 per person; classic car 3 hour city tour is $300 per person.

That pricing is just insane. I have a cruise booked and willing to pay the premium to get there, but not to be held to only available excursions or those prices. May have to cancel.

Royal Caribbean website has no actual excursions posted, but I am looking at NCL site excursions; walking tours are $100 per person, evening cabaret is $200 per person; classic car 3 hour city tour is $300 per person.

That pricing is just insane. I have a cruise booked and willing to pay the premium to get there, but not to be held to only available excursions or those prices. May have to cancel.

You don't have to- anything that's listed there you can do easily on your own for a fraction of the cost. Vintage car and drivers will be outside the pier and can take you on tours- $100 usd a day for 4 person car. The Tropicana is like $75 per person for good seats and a huge bottle of rum included.

Havana is easy to navigate with a little effort and very affordable if you do it on your own. The rum is literally cheaper than water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since Cuba's fate seems to be sealed, will Royal keep the Empress in the fleet to run 3/4 nighters or will they be looking for a buyer?

WHAT???? Is Cuba going somewhere. Are they packing up the island and moving it up to Newfoundland?:eek:

Oh, just some sort of travel ban, sort of, mabe-ish, for you Americans. Next topic.