What's The One Helpful Thing You Wish You Knew About Marina Before Your Cruise

Mylisa

Does anyone have any words of advice for a newbie on

O and on Marina? Something you discovered after boarding the Marina but would have been nice to know beforehand. Any little tidbits of advice or knowledge.

Thanks

JMO

If there is a problem speak to someone in charge at the time of the problem ..do not wait until you get home & complain on CC

If you do not see something you would like to have ..ASK

they probably have it or will get it for you if they can

Try not to compare Oceania with other lines it will just make you unhappy with the cruise ;)

enjoy

Good advice. We have loved sailing on Silver Seas for the service and the smaller more intimate ships. We chose this cruise because it has a better itinerary for us. We also head very good things about O and it was still a smaller ship. We won't sail the big one anymore.

The Happy Hour times and bars are advertised in the daily paper but some people still seem to miss that, and it is 2 drinks the same per person for the cost of 1.

I'm afraid if I drank 2 drinks, I would definitely be under the table. DH and I share 2 of the SAME drinks and are quite content.;) I think Happy Hour is usually 5 - 6 PM, just before the dining room opens. And I think it is in all the bars. It's usually a good place to reconnect with people you have been meeting.

Mia

I'm afraid if I drank 2 drinks, I would definitely be under the table. DH and I share 2 of the SAME drinks and are quite content.;) I think Happy Hour is usually 5 - 6 PM, just before the dining room opens. And I think it is in all the bars. It's usually a good place to reconnect with people you have been meeting.

Mia

It will tell you what bars have HH in the Currents usually Martinis & Horizons

also they now have HH at 10:30-11:30 pm in Horizons

If I get wine I take one glass to dinner the wait staff will even carry it there for you ;)

On the O class ships (of which Marina is one of two) there is self-service laundry on each floor of the cabins. We love it as it is usually not very busy and allows us to pack much lighter. Also, their "send out" cleaning is quite affordable.

You can almost always get extra time in the speciality restaurants. If the main gangplank Mia's a big line ,coming or going, you can use the 'crew' gangway.

Don't ignore the Terrace Cafe for dinner- fabulous selection.

What do you mean "the crew gangway"?

What do you mean "the crew gangway"?

The crew have a separate entrance to the ship

usually people with wheelchairs/scooter can use this entrance

Some ports they will have passengers leave from the crew deck as it may be easier than putting up the larger stair/ramps

CIMG0243-M.jpg

i-7j4G2pD-M.jpg

Edited by LHT28

On the O class ships (of which Marina is one of two) there is self-service laundry on each floor of the cabins. We love it as it is usually not very busy and allows us to pack much lighter. Also, their "send out" cleaning is quite affordable.

I presume that these are coin operated machines. So where do we get the coins and the soap for the washer?

The crew have a separate entrance to the ship

usually people with wheelchairs/scooter can use this entrance

Some ports they will have passengers leave from the crew deck as it may be easier than putting up the larger stair/ramps

CIMG0243-M.jpg

i-7j4G2pD-M.jpg

Do you know if you can use the crew gangplank to disembark in St. Petersburg? How do you find the crew gangplank from inside the ship?

I presume that these are coin operated machines. So where do we get the coins and the soap for the washer?

They need tokens you can get them at reception

$2 per load per machine

on the r-ship the soap is in a container on the wall you press the corresponding but to the washer & it is dispensed automatically

for the O class ships the soap dispenser is on the wall with a cup you have to put the soap in the washer yourself

When we were on the Marina last year we got the coins for the laundry and soap machines from the concierge. The laundry also had an iron and ironing board available.

Do you know if you can use the crew gangplank to disembark in St. Petersburg? How do you find the crew gangplank from inside the ship?

I would not think so as you need the F2F with Russian officials

If you have a wheelchair or scooter then yes you probably could use the crew exit

Just speak to reception so they can make sure they are ready for you

If they use the crew gangway for some ports they will tell you to go to the deck where it is located

The machines are token (not coin) operated and the tokens are for sale at reception.

x_150034.jpg

The soap is specialized and supplied.

Mia

I don't think you'd have a problem on Marina. When we sailed on her the bartenders made the itsy-bitsiest little cocktails I've ever encountered. And this was not during Happy Hour, but during pay-full-pop time.

I recommend you post your question on the Ports of Call -- Northern Europe -- board. My recollection is that we disembarked directly into a building, and went down an escalator before encountering passport control. (I'm confident the new, modern Marine Facade port will also have elevators.) However, a YouTube video shows a Costa ship disembarking passengers onto the dock itself with a building nearby, so this video doesn't match my recollection. (Was the video shot before completion of all the structures for Marine Facade? Are there two types of connections to the building depending on which Terminal your ship is assigned? Am I simply not remembering the situation accurately?)

The folks who hang out on the Northern Europe board will collectively have the answer to your question.

I don't think you'd have a problem on Marina. When we sailed on her the bartenders made the itsy-bitsiest little cocktails I've ever encountered. And this was not during Happy Hour, but during pay-full-pop time.

On sixteen cruises, not my experience at all