Camera Strap Upgrade

pierces

Like quite a few of you, I have been using BlackRapid cross body straps to carry my camera at the ready. Since I went mirrorless, I moved to the lighter BR Metro strap. For times when I need my second body more quickly (Rapidly?) accessible than carrying it in the waist pack, I picked up a BR Yeti Slim Dual strap which handily converts to a single for the times when the second strap isn't needed. Yay BlackRapid!

Now to the main point...

Whenever I take the camera off the BR strap to shoot low, high or just don't want to carry it on the strap, I had a ProStrap wrist strap attached to one of the strap lugs as an anti-oops measure. My only issue was that the ProStrap was about 12 inches in total length and hung flopping in the wind when I carried the camera on the BR strap and would occasionally catch on something. (I know...First World Problems.) I started looking for a less dangly alternative and came across a BlackRapid wrist strap that is either new or had just escaped my notice.

p2396761878-4.jpg

It is very comfortable, would probably support 100 lbs and pretty easy to switch with the main strap. On days when I want to have both the wrist strap and the main strap available, I can just attach the wrist strap and hook the main strap to the wrist strap carabiner. It isn't as long as the ProStrap and since it connects to the same place as the main strap, it doesn't flop around enough to be an annoyance or a "you-break-it-you-buy-it" hazard in a shop.

If you look closely, you'll see a little pouch attached to the strap right behind the "R" logo. This is an Op/Tech Media Keeper that fits perfectly through the strap loop and lets me carry an extra memory card and my hot shoe cover when it's not in use. No more "oh crap" moments when I get where I'm going and realize the primary card is still in the reader and no more monthly order to replace the easily misplaced hot shoe thingie.)

61zcKrWpOwL._SL1000_.jpg

This combo has been extremely handy, so I thought I'd share my tiny victory in the fight for convenient camera portage! :)

Dave

I have to agree with Loonbeam, unless I'm carrying my whole kit somewhere, the Peak Design system is the most handy for me. I'm always wearing a belt anyways, and secured on my hip, keeping my hands free, without the camera swinging around when hiking, climbing, touring, etc. It also makes a great distraction from casual observers seeing my pistol holstered a bit behind it ;p

It also makes a great distraction from casual observers seeing my pistol holstered a bit behind it ;p

Not a problem for me here in the people's Republic of California! The state has forbidden everyone except gang-bangers, celebrities, politicians and career criminals to carry a weapon. (Those last two groups may be redundant.)

I tried the belt-carry methods a while ago and found them cumbersome and made sitting in an armed chair impossible without removing the camera.

To each their own, eh?

(The "eh" was a nod to Canada day!)

Dave

One config I like for carrying my camera with longer lens is I use the PD sling strap, and the camera has a capture PRO on the lens mount. I have the slide adjusted to keep the camera at hip height but when walking distances I clip it onto my belt via the capture so it doesn't swing as much. Saves a ton of strain but takes a while to get the straps exactly right.

I'm using micro four thirds gear. I do like the look of the Black Rapid gear, but I haven't purchased or used any to date. I have a few Op/Tech straps etc and quite like what I've purchased, alsthough I have't used it for a while. I now use Peak Design gear, and have quite a few of their products. Whilst I love buying new gear, I can't see me changing any time soon as thier products seem to work well for me (nothing to do with the threats of divorce, honestly!)

I switched to the Peak Design sling from Black Rapid to keep my camera, expecially with long lens,almost glued to my thigh while walking.and the ARCA clip makes attachment to my tripod, or monopod, very quick. I keep a PD clip attached to my long lens support in case a long exposure is needed that will require a tripod/monopod.

We just returned from a 19 day vacation/cruise. I took two DSLR bodies w/lenses, a Sony HX90V to thwart pickpockets in St. Petersburg, and my wife's bridge camera. Knowing I was going to be switching at times between two of the three, I looked at the newer design straps since I have been using Op/Tech straps for about ten years. A few months ago I purchased a Focus F-1 sling strap on the popular auction site and a PD Capture clone. My wife decided that she preferred my Op/Tech Pro Loop Strap over the Focus F-1. What I didn't like was the screw adapter for the strap not working with the PD clone. The PD clone also wasn't completely smooth in action.

I ended up purchasing a PD Capture which I clamped to my day pack and two cuffs to use with one of the bodies and the HX90V. I was able to switch between the two quite easily. Ideally I should have had another Capture on the opposite day pack strap as I had also bought a Capture P.O.V for the HX90V. That way I could have slipped it into the Capture clip instead of dangling it from my wrist or putting it into my pocket each time.

I really like the PD products, especially with the ease of the anchor clips. Plans are to add the sling straps as needed. Two cons about the PD Cuff and Clutch though. The cuff is a good design but my wrist is too large to wear it as a bracelet. I found that I would slip it off than undo the anchor clip. A larger diameter model to fit larger wrists would be helpful. And I also bought a PD Clutch but it was too small for my hand as well.

How well does the POV kit work with the HX90V? I have the same camera and didn't even think of using it that way. I guess the Capture should certainly be stable enough for the lightweight Sony.

As you can purchase the Anchor Links as a separate kit, you could perhaps fashion a couple of slightly longer cuffs that better suit? I've used the Anchor Links to make a couple of tether straps which I use with the Capture clips in case I clumsily miss-judge relocating the camera onto the Capture clip and drop it!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

The Peak Design clip looks interesting but their promo video shows a great deal of attachment action but very little/vague release actions.

Does the unit just slide out when grabbed unless you twist the lock/quick release knob?

The couple of video examples showed a smooth grab and lift with no obvious need to push a button. Is the button (if actually needed to release) easily accessible one-handed?

I did enjoy the entertainment of the paid stupidity where users drop stuff and exaggerate the difficulty of performing simple tasks. Reminded me of the Pocket Hose and non-stick cookware commercials. :)

I'm frankly not too thrilled about the camera having no tether after disconnection. It may indeed grip your camera like an eagle but a random bump to the elbow once released and your camera will respond to gravity accordingly.

Dave

If you don't twist the safety lock on the Quick Release button, it only needs to be pushed in to release the camera. When clipped in, the camera is quite secure. With the safety lock on, I can't see any way it could slip out.

However! I do actually use a tether with my Capture Clip Pro. Just in case I have a clumsy moment. Murphy's Law, etc. I've inverted the back plate of the Capture Pro, which exposes two tether points. I made the tether strap with paracord.

35357542050_253a40157a_t.jpg

35613719651_afb01b79f3_t.jpg

Edited by MirrorlessKiwi
clarity

How well does the POV kit work with the HX90V? I have the same camera and didn't even think of using it that way. I guess the Capture should certainly be stable enough for the lightweight Sony.

As you can purchase the Anchor Links as a separate kit, you could perhaps fashion a couple of slightly longer cuffs that better suit? I've used the Anchor Links to make a couple of tether straps which I use with the Capture clips in case I clumsily miss-judge relocating the camera onto the Capture clip and drop it!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

The HX90V works very well with the P.O.V. I use the adapter plate, screw, and the point-and-shoot plate. The anchor attaches to so I can still use the Cuff. I only need to loosen the screw and twist the adapter plate out of the way if I swing the screen up for a selfie. It doesn't interfere with using the view finder (I use that most of the time) and it still goes on an ARCA tripod head.

I know that I could just add an anchor to lengthen it but they profess to enjoy hearing from users on how to improve their products. Good idea on using the paracord as a tether!

I was thinking (after reading your previous post) that I could just make an 'L' bracket, which would bolt to the tripod mount of the HX90V and to a Capture compatible ARCA plate. At least as a temporary measure to see if I will actually use the feature. Having just received yet another Peak Design bag (13" EDM) this morning, I'm not sure I should be ordering another Peak Design item (or any other camera gear) just yet or I'll likely upset the balance of the universe (or at least the balance within the household)!

I can one hand my D500 from the clip, it did take a little practice to get it efficient. My A6000 is easy to detach one handed. With the safety lock on my belt is breaking before the clip comes loose.

The Peak Design clip looks interesting but their promo video shows a great deal of attachment action but very little/vague release actions.

Does the unit just slide out when grabbed unless you twist the lock/quick release knob?

The couple of video examples showed a smooth grab and lift with no obvious need to push a button. Is the button (if actually needed to release) easily accessible one-handed?

I did enjoy the entertainment of the paid stupidity where users drop stuff and exaggerate the difficulty of performing simple tasks. Reminded me of the Pocket Hose and non-stick cookware commercials. :)

I'm frankly not too thrilled about the camera having no tether after disconnection. It may indeed grip your camera like an eagle but a random bump to the elbow once released and your camera will respond to gravity accordingly.

Dave

• 5 months later...

Update re: Peak Design Capture Clip

They just had a Kickstarter campaign for (I believe) the 3rd iteration of the Capture. I have gen1 and am quite tired of the star headed screws jabbing into my side - so got in on it.

Very impressed, much lighter and a bit smaller, but still secure and solid - no slop or movement of camera when clipped in. They ditched the auxiliary second diagonal screw (I removed mine as soon as I received it) and the two main screws thread much smoother than the old ones. EDIT: The push button rotates 30 degrees to lock it out so the button can't be pushed accidentally - nice touch.

It's a keeper!

ec7c07243c8a22a618649e1e058c4e23.jpg3e9e8779cdc70827460d78b1eecd02af.jpgc003ee0dcbbf3b4a5cbbdcaa2ac9a2e1.jpg

e7117a8cb2ac258fa99626a2c17477b0.jpg38faf1fb90b57b349350418ac2b1ab3d.jpg

Edited by shootr

Still awaiting delivery of new Captures and and a couple of Slide Lite straps. Hopefully see them by the end of next week!

Sent from an app on a phone...

They're on top of their game, as usual. Couldn't believe how quick this arrived, as well as a second plate. I think you'll dig it.

I used a BlackRapid when I had a DSLR or two, and they were handy devices. Tried the Peak Design system, but getting the cords through the minuscule Leica lugs is all but impossible, and the wrist strap is an inconvenient length for me.

I have an Artisan&Artist strap for my Q, which I've modified with a freezer clip to suit my hand, and most of my other cameras just have a knotted bootlace or something.

36346165142_317b4e3c29_b.jpgKitted Q by Pete Ofathousandflights, on Flickr

35719726933_6e0c787fe0_b.jpgL1050075.jpg by Pete Ofathousandflights, on Flickr

I used a BlackRapid when I had a DSLR or two, and they were handy devices. Tried the Peak Design system, but getting the cords through the minuscule Leica lugs is all but impossible, and the wrist strap is an inconvenient length for me.

I have an Artisan&Artist strap for my Q, which I've modified with a freezer clip to suit my hand, and most of my other cameras just have a knotted bootlace or something.

36346165142_317b4e3c29_b.jpgKitted Q by Pete Ofathousandflights, on Flickr

35719726933_6e0c787fe0_b.jpgL1050075.jpg by Pete Ofathousandflights, on Flickr

Am I the only one awed at the simplicity of how that boot lace is threaded thru both rings on the camera? Thanks for sharing your solutions.

Am I the only one awed at the simplicity of how that boot lace is threaded thru both rings on the camera? Thanks for sharing your solutions.
This one shows the simplicity of the technique. Bootlace bought at the Zanjan bazar - no idea where a camera shop might be in that region - and simply looped and knotted to fit.

The problem with the F is that there isn't a grip to hang onto, and the bootlace spoils its classic lines.

38015706845_7534009f8a_b.jpgPen F by Pete Ofathousandflights, on Flickr

Update re: Peak Design Capture Clip

They just had a Kickstarter campaign for (I believe) the 3rd iteration of the Capture. I have gen1 and am quite tired of the star headed screws jabbing into my side - so got in on it.

Very impressed, much lighter and a bit smaller, but still secure and solid - no slop or movement of camera when clipped in. They ditched the auxiliary second diagonal screw (I removed mine as soon as I received it) and the two main screws thread much smoother than the old ones. EDIT: The push button rotates 30 degrees to lock it out so the button can't be pushed accidentally - nice touch.

It's a keeper!

ec7c07243c8a22a618649e1e058c4e23.jpg

Time to take a second look, it seems.

Dave