Seattle - Mosquitos

lynn2002

Thinking of how to pack. Two nights in Seattle hotel prior to boarding the ship so thinking of packing enough for two nights in our carry-on bags so that we don't have to open the big suitcases until we're on ship.

Do I need to pack in my carry-on mosquito repellent? I'm travelling at the end of July and staying in the Maxwell hotel.

If you'll be in non-urban forested areas in the foothills or higher, after dark, bring repellent.

Otherwise, please note that even though Seattle is a hotbed of tropical disease research, including malaria and dengue fever, we've drained the swamps, implemented effective sanitation procedures and otherwise enjoy the benefits of being a prosperous urban area with a mild climate and high standard of living.

Hope this helps.

If you'll be in non-urban forested areas in the foothills or higher, after dark, bring repellent.

Otherwise, please note that even though Seattle is a hotbed of tropical disease research, including malaria and dengue fever, we've drained the swamps, implemented effective sanitation procedures and otherwise enjoy the benefits of being a prosperous urban area with a mild climate and high standard of living.

Hope this helps.

:p:p Good one!

I'm genuinely trying to be helpful with the first paragraph; we have both mosquitos and the dreaded biting midge (culicoides genus) within a 45 minute drive of the hotel; I ended up having to seek medical attention after an ill-considered spontaneous trip to view a meteor shower. Some people like to get out of the city and I wouldn't want them to catch their death of the ague.

In town and close to Puget Sound I have never seen a mosquito in all the years I've lived here. Growing up we had always heard that the salt air was a deterrent to freshwater mosquitoes and it is too cold for tropical saltwater varieties. Most houses don't even have screens on the windows. Up towards the foothills near freshwater ponds and lakes there might be some but they are rare. The problem there and up in the mountains is Deer Flies. Up at Mt. Rainier they can be really bad and the bites are really painful.

The only Mosquitoes in Seattle were the Mosquito Fleet on Puget Sound. ;)

Thank you for your advice. We will be sightseeing locally so I'll pack it away in my main luggage for Alaska. Wherever I travel I always check about mosquitos as my body has a terrible reaction to bites. I always need it when travelling in the med, During the day I am normally fine but it is the evenings when they come out.