questions about some Canadian ports (east coast)

poss

Ok, I know I have to make the choice myself, but I'm hoping that input will help me towards that end. Thanks to Marc and others for the July sale alert, I've tentatively booked 2 Mariner cruises for October. One is 10 nights (N.Y.- Montreal) on Oct. 17, one is 14 nights (Montreal-Miami) on October 27. Curiously (or not?) they are virtually the same cost. (Several hundred dollars more for a 4 night difference!)

So here's the problem: The October 17 cruise offers a better chance for leaf color and less chilly perhaps. It also seems to me to have better ports. E.g. the shorter cruise does Bar Harbor, the longer Portland; I much prefer Bar Harbor (Acadia). The shorter cruise does Halifax Charlottetown (PEI), Gaspe, and Saguenay-- all interesting ports from what I gather. The longer cruise does Halifax as well, but then Sydney (which I've heard isn't great) and St John (Bay of Fundy). Both of course do Quebec. I'd be much interested in learning from people who know those Canadian ports whether they think that the shorter cruise has significantly better ports and opportunities for better excursions.

I'd prefer 14 days (and ending up in Miami, which would mean just a one-way flight for us) than 10 days-- especially as price is virtually the same. But if the 14 day cruise has ports that are way less interesting than the 10 day, maybe we should do that one (plus it's earlier and probably better weather-wise).

Yup: I know that no one can decide for me; just hoping for some input that'd put weight on one arm of the scale. Thanks!

Hi Poss,

We took the Montreal to Miami cruise on Navigator in 2014. Wonderful cruise. In fact we did a similar cruise 2004 with Celebrity.

It's a really enjoyable cruise. We enjoyed all ports. Sydney the Alexander Graham Bell Museum is really good, and the scenery is lovely.

Halifax we took the Peggy's Cove tour and also went to the Maritime museum on our own.

PortLand we took a cruise tour at Kennybunkport? Not sure if I have the correct spelling? It was also a nice little town to wander around in.

The weather was cold to cool then warm, quite a diverse mix but we are used to that here in Scotland.

Personally I don't think you would be disappointed, for us that Navigator cruise rates as our best ever. Jean.

We were on the NYC to Montreal cruise in October of last year. We enjoyed all of the US ports. Of the Canadian ports, we thoroughly enjoyed Halifax (the Maritime Museum is excellent) and Quebec City. The included excursions in the rest of the Canadian ports (Charlottetown, Gaspe and Saguenay) were not that interesting to us. Our excursions in these ports were mostly long bus rides. If you are physically fit, I believe that there may have been better excursions offered, but we were not able to take advantage of the active excursions. All said, though, we did like this cruise and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Hi poss, I haven't done these cruises, but this is my part of the world. I don't know the ports intimately, but would imagine that on a day in Sydney you could see the grand scenery of Cape Breton Island. I'm just guessing, I haven't been there for decades, but you might want to check. I know you like fine scenery.

Yes, the "leaf peeping" will be better on the early cruise, probably, and probably the weather as well. But that is always a crapshoot.

Yes, Peggy's Cove in Halifax is a wonderful option, although there are lots of historic things to do if you like. Did you know about the Titanic connection, for instance?

Saguenay is known for whale watching--not sure it's the right time of year. I agree, I like Bar Harbor, but Portland might be fine too.

I've only been to Saint John NB once, not sure what there is to see beyond the Bay of Fundy and the reversing falls on the river.

If the price is the same, I'd go for the longer cruise. But that's colored by the fact that I'm in love with Mariner at the moment.

I'll be nice and toasty in French Polynesia during that period!

poss,

I wanted to share I thought Sydney was a fine port.

We visited the Fortress of Louisbourg - a rebuilt living history museum as our excursion. I love old building construction and there was a whole settlement with fortresses and jails and homes and barracks. Educational with a tour and interesting to consider yourself living in circumstances of a bygone time.

We wandered around a bit after the tour once back in Sydney proper and happened upon a church Fall Festival with handicrafts and baked goods.

Cape Breton was charming.

We were supposed to visit St. John but did not due to sea conditions that day making it untenable.

I would do a Canada /NE cruise again for sure and think either would be a fine choice.

For similar cost I'd go for the longer cruise - especially if I were already retired.

I don't know what my personal 'at sea' limit is but I've not reached it yet. Return to work duties are my rate limiting step for now.

Best wishes and happy leaf peeping.

Ok, I know I have to make the choice myself, but I'm hoping that input will help me towards that end. Thanks to Marc and others for the July sale alert, I've tentatively booked 2 Mariner cruises for October. One is 10 nights (N.Y.- Montreal) on Oct. 17, one is 14 nights (Montreal-Miami) on October 27. Curiously (or not?) they are virtually the same cost. (Several hundred dollars more for a 4 night difference!)

So here's the problem: The October 17 cruise offers a better chance for leaf color and less chilly perhaps. It also seems to me to have better ports. E.g. the shorter cruise does Bar Harbor, the longer Portland; I much prefer Bar Harbor (Acadia). The shorter cruise does Halifax Charlottetown (PEI), Gaspe, and Saguenay-- all interesting ports from what I gather. The longer cruise does Halifax as well, but then Sydney (which I've heard isn't great) and St John (Bay of Fundy). Both of course do Quebec. I'd be much interested in learning from people who know those Canadian ports whether they think that the shorter cruise has significantly better ports and opportunities for better excursions.

I'd prefer 14 days (and ending up in Miami, which would mean just a one-way flight for us) than 10 days-- especially as price is virtually the same. But if the 14 day cruise has ports that are way less interesting than the 10 day, maybe we should do that one (plus it's earlier and probably better weather-wise).

Yup: I know that no one can decide for me; just hoping for some input that'd put weight on one arm of the scale. Thanks!

I much prefer Bar Harbor over Portland but Portland has its charms. Acadia is just awesome if you are active and want to hike or bike.

Both have Halifax, which is great so no choice there.

I would choose Charlottestown over Sydney.

And both have Quebec City which is most excellent.

(A view of Cape Breton would be nice, but even better would be a boat ride over.)

So, it is a toss up over a couple of ports.

In terms of weather. as you know it is a gamble. The probably is that the weather and fall foliage will be better earlier, but the odds may not be on your side. I would likely err on the side of going on the earlier cruise but it is only 10 days.

It sounds like a real toss up. Interested in learning what you decide.

Lynn

I much prefer Bar Harbor over Portland but Portland has its charms. Acadia is just awesome if you are active and want to hike or bike.

Both have Halifax, which is great so no choice there.

I would choose Charlottestown over Sydney.

And both have Quebec City which is most excellent.

(A view of Cape Breton would be nice, but even better would be a boat ride over.)

So, it is a toss up over a couple of ports.

In terms of weather. as you know it is a gamble. The probably is that the weather and fall foliage will be better earlier, but the odds may not be on your side. I would likely err on the side of going on the earlier cruise but it is only 10 days.

It sounds like a real toss up. Interested in learning what you decide.

Lynn

Very much appreciate the replies. I suspect we'll do the longer cruise-- if I can bite the bullet and sign on. Would be the first time for more than one cruise a year. Need to crunch more numbers. Thanks!

We were on the shorter cruise and loved it. Perfect weather.

Don't miss the Malpeque Oyster Experience tour in Charlottetown PEI.

Very interesting about oyster farming with meal included by a wonderful young couple.

The "Titanic connection" that Wendy mentioned is one of the more interesting parts of our cruise to that part of the world. We actually took a cruise from New York to Southampton (kind of the reverse of what the Titanic did). In Halifax we went to the cemetery where both named and unnamed passengers are buried. The stories told to us by our guide (private guide - reasonably priced and we were not on Regent) were both touching and amazing.

I believe that we were there in September and it was already quite cold and a bit rainy. Still, we enjoyed our time in Eastern Canada very much.

Hi poss. Greetings from northern New York! We did the NY to Montréal cruise a few years ago and loved it. I second the Fortress of Louisbourg excursion. Fascinating history. Very much enjoyed Acadia National Park as well. The Alexander Keith brewey tour in Halifax was fun. Loved the architecture in Quebec City. We enjoyed every port.

The weather in October can be beautiful up here, or not. It can be 80 degrees and sunny, or it could be snowing by the end of the month. (Snow boots as part of a Halloween costume? Yep, it happens!) As far as leaf color, that's anyone's guess as well. We were fortunate to have wonderful weather during our cruise. Be prepared for all kinds of weather and think "layers."

When we debarked in Montreal, we picked up our rental car, crossed into the USA at Alexandria Bay, and were home by the time our fellow cruisemates were clearing security and boarding their flights at Pierre Trudeau. We would repeat the itinerary, we enjoyed it that much.

Whatever cruise you pick, have a great time.:)

I took a Halifax to New York cruise on another line in late October a couple of years ago. It snowed in both Acadia and Boston. So just be warned that, the later in the season, the riskier the weather. Also, we caught the tail end of the leaves in Nova Scotia, but they were completely gone everywhere else.

In Halifax, there's a museum in the port area that's worth a visit. A lot on the Titanic, but don't let that distract you from its exhibit and film on the Great Explosion of 1917. It's a horrific but fascinating piece of history of which I had somehow been completely unaware.