Navigator tea time

3carfan

I agree completely with LynnRuns. I prefer the longer cruise though. We have done this 5 times. Skipped Bar Harbor three of the five because of weather, so don't count on that. I was originally from the east and I believe October is a toss up for the leaves. Can't tell--each year it is different. We are doing these ports in April---and yes the Maritimes are COLD COLD but we love it.

does the navigator have a tea and sandwich service in the afternoon.

Yes-different goodies each day are served in Gallileo's. Sometimes they'll have a theme like chocolate, or Viennese or cupcakes. We never had the chance to go on our last voyage as it was a time conflict with Trivia.

Caroldoll: I think you missed the thread you were aiming at.

To the OP, every Regent ship we've been on has had afternoon tea every day. While it's been some years since we were on Navigator, I doubt things have changed on it.

Agree -- all ships have over the top tea, sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and lots of delicious sweets. Some days there will be a huge array of special treats -- it could be a cheesecakes, chocolate, Vienna pastries etc. Not to be missed!

The tea is OK on the Regent ships - not as good as on Oceania though as the service tends to be spotty.

"Clotted cream" is not real clotted cream on either line. Just whipped cream. On Navigator get to Gallileos early. It gets very crowded.

The tea is OK on the Regent ships - not as good as on Oceania though as the service tends to be spotty.

"Clotted cream" is not real clotted cream on either line. Just whipped cream. On Navigator get to Gallileos early. It gets very crowded.

On Regent ships, in our experience, they normally serve both clotted cream and whipped cream ....... so you have the choice :)

Also there is a choice of scones - plain, fruit or chocolate ............. IMHO the latter should be banned, as they have no place in a traditional afternoon tea :eek: ;)

Agree that there is a choice of clotted cream and whipped cream on Regent ships. The one area that could be better on Regent would be if they served loose tea rather than tea bags but we enjoy it nevertheless.

Yes-different goodies each day are served in Gallileo's. Sometimes they'll have a theme like chocolate, or Viennese or cupcakes. We never had the chance to go on our last voyage as it was a time conflict with Trivia.

And having just gotten off the Navigator. Tea was at 4:00 and Trivia at 4:30. Just enough time to get to Gallileo's for a goodie and bring it down to Stars for Trivia

And having just gotten off the Navigator. Tea was at 4:00 and Trivia at 4:30. Just enough time to get to Gallileo's for a goodie and bring it down to Stars for Trivia

We had quite a "territorial" group of trivia players on our last Navigator voyage; each team seemed to sit in the same spot every day. For habit, for luck? Who knows. If we didn't arrive by 4pm to "stake out our place" there seemed to be one team (same team, every time) that took pleasure in taking over another team's spot. They were quite nasty, actually. Our team's "spot" was near the door as we had one member who had a difficult time getting around and this was just the easiest location for her, rather than trying to maneuver around all the other teams in the room.

We had quite a "territorial" group of trivia players on our last Navigator voyage; each team seemed to sit in the same spot every day. For habit, for luck? Who knows. If we didn't arrive by 4pm to "stake out our place" there seemed to be one team (same team, every time) that took pleasure in taking over another team's spot. They were quite nasty, actually. Our team's "spot" was near the door as we had one member who had a difficult time getting around and this was just the easiest location for her, rather than trying to maneuver around all the other teams in the room.

We encountered this type of behavior several time and, for that reason, no longer go to trivia.

P.S. I did confuse the times for trivia and tea. While we did not attend tea very often, it was still going on when we arrived for trivia so we were tempted more than once to indulge in some of the wonderful treats. Our favorite tea time is the "chocolate" one where, if I am very good, I will only dip one marshmallow or piece of fruit in the chocolate fountain (amazing chocolate - not the cheap stuff). Now that we don't go to trivia, the temptation is only there in our minds:-)

Teatime is at 4 on all ships with trivia at 4:30. Until our most recent cruise, they were held in the same area. However, trivia was moved to the theater on our most recent cruise. Easier to stay away from the calories that way, but I really like having my tea during trivia.

Agree that there is a choice of clotted cream and whipped cream on Regent ships. The one area that could be better on Regent would be if they served loose tea rather than tea bags but we enjoy it nevertheless.

You can blame this one on me. Way back in 2001, they did have loose tea. They would pour tea in each cup using a handheld tea strainer over each cup. They would rest the tea strainer ON the rim of each cup. Now when they came for refills, they would again rest the stainer on the used cup rim. I felt that this was an excellant was of passing germs from one passenger to another. I complained and

was told they only have a limited amt. of tea strainers. So to remedy the problem they switched to tea bags! Long story but true!

You can blame this one on me. Way back in 2001, they did have loose tea. They would pour tea in each cup using a handheld tea strainer over each cup. They would rest the tea strainer ON the rim of each cup. Now when they came for refills, they would again rest the stainer on the used cup rim. I felt that this was an excellant was of passing germs from one passenger to another. I complained and

was told they only have a limited amt. of tea strainers. So to remedy the problem they switched to tea bags! Long story but true!

Great story - thanks for sharing!

Petunia63,

Interesting story.

No worries, we find the Twinings tea bags perfectly acceptable. Just wish they would use hotter (i.e. boiling) water ....... but no doubt this could be perceived as a health & safety issue.

Definitely a safety issue. Restaurants in the U.S. have been sued when hot water/tea/coffee has been spilled on their guests (even when it is the guests fault). My DH once spilled a cup of coffee from Starbucks (known for hot coffee) on my leg and it blistered (no did sue the restaurant but it really hurt).

I am not much of a tea drinker - unless it is iced tea. I recently learned that if you put 12 teabags in a gallon of cold water and put it in the refrigerator, 24 hours later you have an amazing gallon of delicious cold iced tea! The best part is that I can use the teabags of my choice -- I particularly like 4 bags of green tea, 4 bags of Moroccan mint and 4 bags of Constant Comment! By using cold water, it retains the freshness of the tea leaves while still imparting the flavor of the tea. For a person that only cooks once a year, it is an easy and healthy drink to make. Wish that Regent did something like that. Iced tea is a very popular drink in the U.S. - particularly in the summer!

Iced tea is a very popular drink in the U.S. - particularly in the summer!

I drink either iced tea, ice water, or occasionally lemonade or Arnold Palmers...but so many places in the US use powdered iced teas...most aren't drinkable, IMO.

After living out West for 20 years, I had to adjust somewhat after we moved to South Carolina - iced tEa down here is SWEET tea...and I mean SWEET! I still can't drink it - I have to order unsweetened (or what they call Yankee) tea. I can handle a mix of 3 parts Yankee tea to one part southern sweet tea, and that's my sugar limit. Not sure I'll ever be able,to drink it like a lot of the locals do.

First, very-specific to this Thread. One will never be disappointed as to afternoon tea service beginning at 1600H. It will be enhanced now that tea and trivia are separated in time and space. This applied during most-recent 2017 experiences--Explorer, March-April Miami-Barcelona-Venice; and May-June Navigator, Miami-Amazon River-Miami cruises. Hopefully, it has become the new standard.

A real step forward, based on earlier cruise interactions aboard Mariner, Navigator, and Voyager going back over 15 years. Mainly, oil and water on many occasions attempting mixing a refined, slow-paced tea experience with appropriate mild background music by piano or guitar--not, not rushed by folks "staking out" tables for four, or putting together tables for six anticipating a trivia session beginning promptly, at 1630H. The answer cards and pencils would be handed out about 1615H. One had to declare as to participating, or not. If not--others that were would hover over our shoulders coveting that particular table.

Really childish. Trivia has, and remains, a very-serious pastime. Yes, my wife and I have participated on numerous occasions with mixed results. When it gets too serious, then the fun goes away.

Which is prologue.

Here is an interesting factoid as to this recent venue change separating that oil and water. Conforming to CC protocol, no specific name will be mentioned as to the progenitor of this change. I am sure many folks noted this situation on earlier evaluations. My wife and I did, to no avail. Then, our great TA, who, together with 112 of the TA's clients, boarded that Explorer ship at Miami. The TA "suggested" to Regent management that tea-time remain at one location; and trivia be moved to the Theater to begin at 1630H.

This was not rocket science. Change made. It was win-win. Hopefully, this scenario continues. We will see, on our upcoming 2018 cruises.

GOARMY!

On our 10 day cruise on Explorer in May trivia was held in the Observation Lounge during the afternoon tea service.

We only popped in once for tea, about 15 minutes after service had started and the trivia started at half past 4 on the dot.

Any time we have gone for afternoon tea I always enjoy a chilled glass of fizz with the offerings.:D. Jean.

Since this thread is about the Navigator, it is important to remember that she does not have an Observation Lounge. They hold tea and trivia in Galileo's as it is the largest lounge on the Navigator. I assume that it would be held in the theater if it is too crowded which is what is being done in the same situation on other ships.