Applying "Country Club Casual" on an Oceania Cruise

Smokeyham

I've read the materials on the Oceania website, as well as several threads on Cruisecritic, and I am getting the sense that an appropriate dress code, for men, on Oceania would be slacks with a collared shirt (polo or button-up) with a jacket if I wanted to go a bit fancier. It seems that nice jeans would be acceptable during the day.

If I was to pack with those standards in mind, would I be in keeping with what most of the other passengers were wearing?

Yes.

It also depends a little bit on where you are cruising as jeans will be more prevalent on Alaska cruise, shorts on a Caribbean cruise, and nicer dress in the evenings on some Mediterranean or TAs.

A jacket is very optional. Though I do prefer to dress up rather than dress down I wouldn't bother with a jacket on a short cruise. I personally am not a fan of Polo shirts but are more dressed up with a jacket so are good "double duty" travel wear. . All collared shirts, polo or button up are perfect. I never take jeans travelling myself (too heavy, too hot) but nice jeans are as you describe are good and often worn.

I think you got a pretty good handle on it and main advice is to not to stress out. With what you're thinking you will be fine and you can choose your venues and your dressing up or dressing down as the mood suits you.

Here's a recent fairly extensive thread on the subject.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2494220

I was interested in it mainly as I am not American and the phrase "country club casual" was completely meaningless to me. I'd also asked on a foody forum I use and got such a wide view from American contributors that it remained pretty much meaningless. In the event, I'm packing my standard "dining out" clothes of chinos and polo/buttoned shirt - it's what I wear whether going to the local pizza place or a Michelin 3* place.

In the evening we wear what we would usually wear if going to a good restaurant. I wear dressy dress but not full length, husband usually wears linen trousers and shirts but occasionally brings out a suit. Less formal during the day of course. Wouldn't expect to see shorts or jeans anywhere at night. Love getting dressed up but happy not to have to back the full length/black tie.

Nice slacks/collared shirt for men.... a jacket if you like

if you want to dress up more go for it

We have seen tuxes & ballgowns on O but certainly NOT REQUIRED

In the evening we wear what we would usually wear if going to a good restaurant. I wear dressy dress but not full length, husband usually wears linen trousers and shirts but occasionally brings out a suit. Less formal during the day of course. Wouldn't expect to see shorts or jeans anywhere at night. Love getting dressed up but happy not to have to back the full length/black tie.

We just got off our first (and probably only) Oceania cruise on the Regatta (review pending), one week in Alaska. We saw quite a few sloppy workout leggings and jeans at dinner in the very casual Terrace Grill cafeteria/buffet (also sweatshirts with hoodies, baseball caps), they are allowed there, anything goes except wife-beater style shirts, but not in the MDR or specialty restaurants where men mostly wore neat collared shirts, polos and non-jeans pants, (though some wore untucked wrinkled shirts) and/or a jacket (not required) and ladies wore resort casual.

Here's a recent fairly extensive thread on the subject.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2494220

I was interested in it mainly as I am not American and the phrase "country club casual" was completely meaningless to me. I'd also asked on a foody forum I use and got such a wide view from American contributors that it remained pretty much meaningless. In the event, I'm packing my standard "dining out" clothes of chinos and polo/buttoned shirt - it's what I wear whether going to the local pizza place or a Michelin 3* place.

I think that pretty much fits the bill.

I'm afraid you'd have been shocked at the state of a good many on our Riviera cruise last week. Shorts, trainers, t-shirts and those blasted baseball caps in the bars/lounges in the evenings. Many of the clothes were downright tatty - we muttered "garden" to each other as a code as many of the worn out polo shirts, shorts etc weren't fit to be seen outside your own back garden.It was the men who were the worst but I saw two women in the dining room on the first night, not together, who hadn't changed out of the crumpled clothes they boarded in. Very much doubt they showered - yuck!

Dining on the first night in one's boarding clothes may have been due to late arriving luggage.

On one hand we have polo shirts. On another we have sniveling, judgmental, nosy gossip.

I'm trying to figure out which is uglier...

+1

These clothes threads become a joke

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful and helpful responses.

Slightly different question..... If you have been on an Oceania Round the World Cruise (or a segment of one) do people tend to dress a little differently (i.e. more formally) or do the standards we have been discussing above still apply? I just trying to get sense of what actually occurs on board, rather than just what the Oceania website says.

Thanks, as always, for your thoughts and comments.