An update on the Manhattan-Red Hook ferry

frankp01

While in New York this past week we did a dry run to test getting to the QM2 on the new NYC Ferry. I knew that the ferry was docking in the Atlantic basin. I assumed it was the opposite end from the terminal. We were quite surprised to see that the ferry dock is literally about 75 yards from the Cruise Terminal entrance. The ferry is quite comfortable, and has plenty of room for luggage. For the convenience, and a fare of only $2.75, it'll be my preferred way to get to the QM2, by far.

You can get some great shots of the stern of the QM2 as the ferry approaches the dock.

Stern.jpg

Here's a Google map, illustrating the ferry dock and the cruise terminal:

AerialOfBrooklynCruiseTerminal.jpg

Ferry info:

https://www.ferry.nyc/

That's wonderful feedback!

What terminal did you leave from in Manhattan? How was the distance from where you could be dropped off by a cab to the ferry? The Red Hook end looks like a no brainer. I've rolled luggage further in most airports.

The ferry leaves from Wall Street. But that pier is the connecting point for the ferry coming down from east 34th street.

We came up from Philadelphia and changed to PATH at Newark, to the WTC. It's a 15 minute-ish walk to the ferry from 4 WTC (The closest exit to the pier). There's a nice wine store in WTC. We may pick up our onboard wine there, en route.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app

That's wonderful feedback!

What terminal did you leave from in Manhattan? How was the distance from where you could be dropped off by a cab to the ferry? The Red Hook end looks like a no brainer. I've rolled luggage further in most airports.

P. S. I didn't specifically notice any taxis at the Wall Street pier (we had arrived by bike). But I'm sure taxis can drop you off there... Taxis are so ubiquitous in Manhattan. I just went to Google maps and found a 360 degree view of the foot of the pier. I think I saw a taxi or two on the street.

P. S. I didn't specifically notice any taxis at the Wall Street pier (we had arrived by bike). But I'm sure taxis can drop you off there... Taxis are so ubiquitous in Manhattan. I just went to Google maps and found a 360 degree view of the foot of the pier. I think I saw a taxi or two on the street.

About how far is the walk from the street to the ferry? It looks to be the first dock on the left side as you walk out the pier.

I took the ferry over to Red Hook on June 15, and again last week (July 6), just to give it a test run, and shot some videos to document the experience.

I'll preface my comments by saying that in the past, I have taken the subway/bus combo (2/3 train and B61 bus) between Manhattan and Red Hook on a number of occasions. Although that route worked for me, the overall experience left much to be desired, and I would not recommend it for most travelers, especially with luggage.

Taking the ferry from Wall Street to Red Hook presented an amazing contrast--one that is wholly in the ferry's favor. The trip is quite pleasant and indeed enjoyable, and very convenient. There are no stairs to deal with when boarding or disembarking the ferry. Moreover, the ferry is clean and modern, with a spacious, air-conditioned cabin with lots of seats and plenty of room for luggage. For just $2.75 per person for a one-way trip, this is now one of the greatest bargains in New York City. ;):D

Incidentally, on my first trip over, I noticed a couple, probably well in their 60s who I would kindly describe as "non-athletic" who were on their way over to board the Queen Mary 2. They had about a half-dozen very large pieces of luggage. My thought was, if they could take the ferry over with this amount of luggage, anyone can! On both of my trips, I also encountered crew members from the Mary who were traveling between Manhattan and Red Hook..

The videos linked below show the Manhattan pier in relation to Wall Street and South Street, as well as the ferry landing at Red Hook and its proximity to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. (I also took a number of photos of the ferry interior; I'll try to post those here later. In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742 )

About how far is the walk from the street to the ferry? It looks to be the first dock on the left side as you walk out the pier.

Hi Carol ~

I took this photo from the entrance to Pier 11, looking out along the length of the pier (sort of). Slip C, from where the Red Hook ferry departs, is just beyond the glass building seen in the middle distance of this photo; it's on the left-hand side of the pier.

Before queueing for the ferry, purchase a ticket from the ticket machine or ticket agent inside the building. (I only spotted one ticket machine--they really do need more!)

23jpdsi.jpg

Looking across South Street and up Wall Street from the East River waterfront promenade beneath the elevated FDR Drive. Pier 11, where you catch the ferry to Red Hook, is diagonally behind me (over my left shoulder). A taxi can drop you off right here, or just across the street, at the corner of Wall & South Streets, depending on which direction you're coming from. Slip C is about two minute's walk, if that, from this point, and the ground is flat all the way.

33mbo9k.jpg

When disembarking here, you'll certainly see taxis on South Street and on Wall Street. I'm not sure of the absolute optimum spot from which to hail a cab, but it shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Queueing for the ferry. (Sorry, it's obviously not a proper British queue! ;))

10hrm08.jpg

While waiting for the ferry, look downriver toward Red Hook, over to your right:

2illxf8.jpg

Passengers disembark from a ferry that has just arrived from Brooklyn. As soon as these passengers are off, we can board. The gangway up to the ferry is wide and not steep, and there are no steps at all between the pier and the ferry. It should be easy to pull wheeled luggage up the gangway and onto the ferry.

2e5i4ox.jpg

Onboard the ferry -- main cabin.

Wide doors make entrance and egress with luggage easy. Wide aisles, large picture windows, plenty of seats (and some tables), ample space for luggage, and more than enough legroom even for Aaron Judge-size passengers. Even a small snack bar/ bar-bar (though I prefer to wait until I board the ship).

2i0zp8y.jpg

3492fqg.jpg

2a7vak3.jpg

23mpzxt.jpg

What fantastic videos and pictures! They really give you a good sense of what this trip would be like. That ferry is roomy and looks really easy to negotiate with luggage. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were ever to sail from Brooklyn, which unfortunately is highly unlikely.

Thanks for sharing all this information with the Brooklyn cruisers.

NYC Ferry also has an app for schedules and ticket purchasing as well as service notifications. I just used it from Long Island City to Wall Street and they are building a second ferry dock in Long Island City (Yay for me) where I work.

App: https://www.ferry.nyc/download-our-app/

What fantastic videos and pictures! They really give you a good sense of what this trip would be like. That ferry is roomy and looks really easy to negotiate with luggage. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were ever to sail from Brooklyn, which unfortunately is highly unlikely.

Thanks for sharing all this information with the Brooklyn cruisers.

Carol ~ Belated thanks for your kind words. I quite enjoyed riding the ferry and documenting my experience with photos and videos that could be helpful to other travelers. I do think the service will be very useful for many people who might be embarking or disembarking at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. (I see that there have already been other threads with posters asking about the ferry.)

Post Captain, you were shooting your videos the same day we did our dry run!

frankp01 ~ Glad to see that I'm not alone in my waterfront researches, and that someone else enjoyed the "voyage" as much as I did! :D Maybe I'll see you aboard the ferry one day--and/or aboard the QM2. :)

The local news did a story on the new ferry service. Seems to be very popular, more popular than expected and planned for. The drawback is, mostly during rush hours but also occasionally on weekends, there are not enough boats to handle the passengers. A couple of those interviewed stated they could not board the first or second scheduled ferry, finally able to board the third ferry.

A city official acknowledged there are problems. 3 boats with 250 seating capacity have been purchased but they wont be in service until next year. Some NY Waterway boats have now been rented for use on these new NYC Ferry routes.

Be sure to allow for any boarding delay, if using for the Brooklyn cruise pier.

The local news did a story on the new ferry service. Seems to be very popular, more popular than expected and planned for. The drawback is, mostly during rush hours but also occasionally on weekends, there are not enough boats to handle the passengers. A couple of those interviewed stated they could not board the first or second scheduled ferry, finally able to board the third ferry.

A city official acknowledged there are problems. 3 boats with 250 seating capacity have been purchased but they wont be in service until next year. Some NY Waterway boats have now been rented for use on these new NYC Ferry routes.

Be sure to allow for any boarding delay, if using for the Brooklyn cruise pier.

Just to follow up on this... The two online news reports that I found in a quick search pertained specifically to the route that runs to/from Long Island City and to the Rockaway route.* The South Brooklyn route (the route that includes a stop at Red Hook) was not mentioned at all. Of course, I would not be surprised if the morning rush-hour ferries are also crowded with business commuters heading toward Lower Manhattan.

If my experiences are anything to go by, there should be plenty of seats on the ferry returning to Red Hook from Manhattan in mid-afternoon.

*(When I was at Pier 11 a couple of weeks ago, in the early afternoon, there was an extremely long queue for the Rockaway ferry, which doesn't stop at Red Hook; the vast majority of people queuing for that ferry looked to be heading toward Rockaway Beach for an afternoon of fun in the sun.)