Port of NY parking

10Jan54

Oh. The. Pain. At $40 per day, it quickly adds up. Been there and done that.

Best alternative to me is some sort of drop off. I've driven to friend's houses, had them drive me (after throwing them a few bucks). And depending on where you're coming from...even an Amtrak/NJ Transit/LIRR to Taxi situation might be a viable one (I've done it...and it's not that bad). I believe at least one NJ hotel just across the river has some sort of parking package and you just hop a bus into the City, never did that one though.

We stayed at a hotel in NJ with a cruise and park package. They provided transportation to and from the terminal. All in all, I believe that the hotel stay with parking, transportation, and breakfast was less than it would have park at the port.

I know of the most popular parking but it is all so expensive. does anyone have or know of some alternatives? thanks for your help!

We have used Park Right, I believe it is $28.00 a day, but there is also usually a promo code online for an additional 10% off. Only about a 5 -7 minute easy walk to and from the ship.

A thought; park in Queens and take a taxi to and from the cruise port.

http://longislandcityparking.com/?gclid=CPXKvI24gdUCFcWIswodFJ4AJg

Most of the Queens rates look like they are in the mid $20s. At first glance about $100 savings for a seven day cruise. Subtract the cab and your time getting to/from Queens and it is closer. I parked at the pier and cannot over emphasize how convenient it was on both ends.

• 2 weeks later...
We stayed at a hotel in NJ with a cruise and park package. They provided transportation to and from the terminal. All in all, I believe that the hotel stay with parking, transportation, and breakfast was less than it would have park at the port.

What hotel ? i cant seem to find any that include transportation

thanks

What hotel ? i cant seem to find any that include transportation

thanks

Probably the Hilton Gardens in Ridgefield Park NJ. That is the only hotel that is reasonably close to the Manhattan cruiseport that offers such a package.

Most of the Queens rates look like they are in the mid $20s. At first glance about $100 savings for a seven day cruise. Subtract the cab and your time getting to/from Queens and ...
With few exceptions, as far as secured parking is concerned ... rates are somewhat lower near JFK (higher near LGA) for long-term/extended stay in outdoor lots - possible to keep that around $20 daily, all inclusive (17% for taxes & recovery fees) - surcharges for van, minivan or suv could add $5 to $10 per day to above, ouch !! Add the time factor, 90 minutes to 2 hours getting to/from the pier + car service/toll charges/tipping.

Once in a while, I need to drive into Manhattan & park for a day, even with so called "Early Bird" discounts, the out-of-lot total is easily $35 to $45 for the maximum 12 to 14 duration, with the valets moving cars around ... Times Square/theater district parking for the evening for a few hours, easily $50 to $60 ... higher during "special events" for a SUV, minivan or anything considered ... oversized, over-length, over-height, over-width and AWD/4WD, etc.

Those coming from points north & west, options are somewhat better by not crossing the Hudson River with hotel's park & stay deals, or NY Waterway parking, etc. It comes down is the time saving & convenience worthwhile ... folks don't blink or bling, paying for drink packages or specialty dining while onboard or springing for spa packages. Just my thoughts, of course.

With few exceptions, as far as secured parking is concerned ... rates are somewhat lower near JFK (higher near LGA) for long-term/extended stay in outdoor lots - possible to keep that around $20 daily, all inclusive (17% for taxes & recovery fees) - surcharges for van, minivan or suv could add $5 to $10 per day to above, ouch !! Add the time factor, 90 minutes to 2 hours getting to/from the pier + car service/toll charges/tipping.

Once in a while, I need to drive into Manhattan & park for a day, even with so called "Early Bird" discounts, the out-of-lot total is easily $35 to $45 for the maximum 12 to 14 duration, with the valets moving cars around ... Times Square/theater district parking for the evening for a few hours, easily $50 to $60 ... higher during "special events" for a SUV, minivan or anything considered ... oversized, over-length, over-height, over-width and AWD/4WD, etc.

Those coming from points north & west, options are somewhat better by not crossing the Hudson River with hotel's park & stay deals, or NY Waterway parking, etc. It comes down is the time saving & convenience worthwhile ... folks don't blink or bling, paying for drink packages or specialty dining while onboard or springing for spa packages. Just my thoughts, of course.

Even at $20 a day. Parking at the pier is $40 a day or $140 difference for a 7 day cruise. Take away the round trip taxi/car service and that difference is closer to $60. Since I live west of NYC, the convenience of parking at the pier was worth the $$.

People forget Manhattan is only 13 miles long, 23 miles square, 72K people for square mile not counting 4 million workers added each weekday.

Yup, parking is expensive, no room for the people let alone their car. $40 for 24 hours including 18% tax is a steal for Manhattan ($400 max).

It's a personal choice, you can park someplace else and save a few bucks, but you can't luck your car door from your balcony.

• 2 weeks later...

10Jan54---noticed you are from New York---upstate? we live in Western MA and drive to Albany outskirts off MA Pike and take Cruise Shuttle to ports in NY/NJ provided by Yankee Trails Travel Co...park free, take bus to port...we do stay over night before...far less trouble and expense than finding way to NYC