Hint and suggestions for getting the most out of time on the Explorer

furs840

Hi All,

As I'm booked for a cruise on Explorer in the fall I wanted to take this time to learn more about suggestions on how to maximize my enjoyment while on board. As many of you have sailed on Explorer several times I'd love to learn some of your suggestions. What suggestions do you have on the below topics?

1) Embarkation day, when to arrive and whether to stay on board after check-in or go out and see the local port

2) Best underutilized areas of the ship.

3) Where to get breakfast before heading off for an early shore excision?

4) Pre-dinner entertainment and drinks, recommended lounge or time?

5) Post dinner entertainment, when to arrive for seating, and timing of shows?

6) What other things did you learn no your cruise that you wish you had know earlier?

Greetings, furs840. Welcome to the Regent forum. To address 1: We have only sailed once on Explorer, loved it, and booked another voyage onboard. We have taken over fifty cruises. Each one has been unique, even on the same ship. My advice is to relax, and enjoy. We always arrive at least three days before departure. That way, we get a taste of the place. As far as leaving the ship after checkin. consider the following: On Regent, boarding seems to start at 11:00 for named suites, with departure maybe at 5:00 or 6:00. We usually book PHs, and board around noon. Accommodations are not usually available before 2:00, and luggage sort of filters in. Somewhere in there is lunch. Before departure will be the boat drill, with lifejackets in tow. Although the drill itself takes forty-five minutes or so, there is also getting to and from the venue, and returning the lifejackets. If you are fond of elevator congestion, this is the time frame for you. All this adds up to seeing the port before you embark. In concierge and up, Regent includes a pre cruise one night hotel stay. That's something.

Mary

Edited by warburg
Corrections.

Hi All,

As I'm booked for a cruise on Explorer in the fall I wanted to take this time to learn more about suggestions on how to maximize my enjoyment while on board. As many of you have sailed on Explorer several times I'd love to learn some of your suggestions. What suggestions do you have on the below topics?

1) Embarkation day, when to arrive and whether to stay on board after check-in or go out and see the local port

6) What other things did you learn no your cruise that you wish you had know earlier?

We were on the Explorer in May departing from Barcelona. We had spent two nights there so once we embarked we had lunch and explored the ship. For breakfast we had room service every morning mainly because the excursions left so early. Six were in our group and we met in the Observation Lounge for drinks before dinner. In response to your 6th question, next time we will omit excursions on a couple of days and just tour on our own or get a private guide so we wouldn't have to be ready between 8 and 8:30 a.m. every day. If you are lucky enough to have Sunday as a sea day, don't miss the fantastic brunch. You will have a wonderful time on the Explorer.

best underutilized areas of the ship: go back to the spa area and enjoy the aromatherapy steam room, the ice room, the special sauna and the infinity pool. Hardly anyone there any time I went back there....almost like your own private spa suite!

Hi All,

Wow, will you get a lot of replys!

We have been on the Explore for 2 cruises (40 nights) - my favorite ship. MY favorite normal experience is a lunch in a specialty restaurant. My biggest surprise was the great library and its seldom used computer. My biggest disappointment is the very poor sight lines in the upper balcony of the theater.

On embarkation day; tour the ship after a nice lunch in La Verandah. The ambiance of the ship is magnificent!

Best underutilized areas are: Library, seating areas off Reception desk; and pool in Canyon Ranch Spa (even by me).

They always open La Verandah early enough to accommodate early shore excursions. They even let me in a few times before official opening ; brought me coffee and the buffet was available (but not the special egg/grilling station).

Lots of pre-dinner entertainment. We love the Piano offering in the Observation lounge for an hour before our normal 7 PM reservations.

We very much enjoy the Regent shows and get to the theater a little after 9 PM (early) because of the seating problem in the balcony (also the walking is treacherous once the lights are dimmed). have our after dinner drinks there. We go dancing after the show.

These Explorer cruises were our 8th and 9th with Regent; so we knew a lot. The new Concierge Office near Reception was an unexpected joy as she helped with dinner many times. The new Compass Rose menu is a spectacular idea; I often have 2 appetizers rather an entrée. If we don't especially like the featured wine we ask for a different one.

Knew this but it is constantly being reinforced - share a table and meet very interesting people.

Best,

Jim C

And here are my comments after sailing on Explorer 4 times (52 nights I think).

Mary (warburg) was our on last cruise so I understand why she thinks that there is early embarkation for certain levels of suites. Thankfully, this is not the case. There was a special event for our TA on that cruise and we did indeed embark at 11;00 a.m. but this is not typical. Everyone can begin boarding at the same time (noon - first come, first served -- which, IMO, is how it should be).

For passengers in Concierge and above suites, it does include one night in a hotel prior to the cruise. For passengers in lower suites, this is not included. I do recommend "deviating"* your flights so that you can arrive at least one day prior to embarkation. Once on the ship, I can't imagine leaving to see the sites since the ship is so amazing and that is always our destination.

Agree that the Library is underutilized (likely because most of us read on electronic devices). However, even though there is a shortage of "real" computers on Explorer, we usually found that the two computers in the Library were busy. Apparently this is not always the case. Also, if you need to print boarding passes or anything else, there is no printer connection in the Library - only in the Business Center.

While we have had breakfast in our suite, we also go to La Veranda or The Cafe (formerly known as the Coffee Connection). While there are more items available in La Veranda ( buffet), we enjoy cereal, toast, coffee, pastries, fruit, etc. in the Coffee Connection. It is more cozy and less crowded! Also, the barista makes some darn good coffees while La Veranda's coffee is mediocre!

Depending upon the show, people start sitting in the theater about a half an hour before the show begins. If you are fortunate enough to be sailing on Explorer when Cruise Director John Barron is onboard, I would get there 45 minutes before show time as he is the best show that they have on any of the ship (my opinion of course).

In terms of before dinner, all three lounges have entertainment. In the Observation Lounge, you may have drinks, listen to the pianist and watch the ship departing (if the timing is right). The Explorer Lounge is next to Compass Rose (the main dining venue) and it can get too crowded for us (we are not into crowds) so we go up one deck to the Meridian Lounge where there is various entertainment in a lovely environment. The lounges start serving canapés at 6:00 p.m.

I wish that I knew........ that you could order an appetizer portion of entrees (making it easier to order more than one item on the entree menu. Alternatively, you can order a entree size portion of an appetizer. Also, you can order anything that Regent has the ingredients for 24 hours in advance (you need to talk to the Dining Room Manager in Compass Rose in order to do this).

Also wish that I knew how crowded Compass Rose gets after an "event". For instance, the second night is generally the Captain's Reception. At the conclusion of the Reception, 300+ people heard to Compass Rose. IMO, unless you are going to a wedding or banquet with a limited menu, no restaurant can provide excellent service to that many people being seated at the same time. Although we would not book a specialty restaurant on that night because CR's menu has some really special items, we get there either when they open or wait until 8:00 p.m. (Note: The Captain's Farewell has the same issue - typically held the night before the last night onboard).

*Regarding flights. We try to book flights through Regent because they will assist you if there are any problems with the flights. However, Regent doesn't book your flights until approximately 75 days prior to the cruise. So, we "deviate". This costs $175/person but many just consider this part of the fare. You can book flights through Regent 270 days in advance of your cruise and can select your flights (as long as they are one of Regent's contracted carriers).

So while I agree almost entirely with TC, we do not take Regent flights. We only will fly non-stop from LAX and that limits us. We do not want to take a chance on not getting what we want.

We DO like the Explorer Lounge on the Explorer and we loved Natures Rhythm and we had two cruises booked on the Explorer when we found out that they changed them to the Voyager. We cancelled The Explorer and now are going to The Voyager in September. We will go to The Voyager Lounge before dinner.

The library is lovely. We do not use room service, we always go up to The Terrace for breakfast. I prefer to have everything fresh and not have it delivered not so warm.

You will love Regent.

Caroldoll, I think you were thinking of Oceania when you wrote "The Terrace" for breakfast. The Terrace exists only on Oceania - not Regent. Just don't want to confuse the TS.

While we are fans of Nature's Rhythm, we had to walk out on their performances due to volume issues on two Explorer cruise. No one could hear one another - not each other - not the bartender - not the servers. The problem also existed in the theater. It is my understanding that the person responsible for the volume (not the CD - someone below him) no longer works for Regent. At the time I thought that they were the best group on Regent....... that was until our last cruise when a group on Explorer was so good that they blew us away!

And here are my comments after sailing on Explorer 4 times (52 nights I think).

Mary (warburg) was our on last cruise so I understand why she thinks that there is early embarkation for certain levels of suites. Thankfully, this is not the case. There was a special event for our TA on that cruise and we did indeed embark at 11;00 a.m. but this is not typical. Everyone can begin boarding at the same time (noon - first come, first served -- which, IMO, is how it should be).

For passengers in Concierge and above suites, it does include one night in a hotel prior to the cruise. For passengers in lower suites, this is not included. I do recommend "deviating"* your flights so that you can arrive at least one day prior to embarkation. Once on the ship, I can't imagine leaving to see the sites since the ship is so amazing and that is always our destination.

Agree that the Library is underutilized (likely because most of us read on electronic devices). However, even though there is a shortage of "real" computers on Explorer, we usually found that the two computers in the Library were busy. Apparently this is not always the case. Also, if you need to print boarding passes or anything else, there is no printer connection in the Library - only in the Business Center.

While we have had breakfast in our suite, we also go to La Veranda or The Cafe (formerly known as the Coffee Connection). While there are more items available in La Veranda ( buffet), we enjoy cereal, toast, coffee, pastries, fruit, etc. in the Coffee Connection. It is more cozy and less crowded! Also, the barista makes some darn good coffees while La Veranda's coffee is mediocre!

Depending upon the show, people start sitting in the theater about a half an hour before the show begins. If you are fortunate enough to be sailing on Explorer when Cruise Director John Barron is onboard, I would get there 45 minutes before show time as he is the best show that they have on any of the ship (my opinion of course).

In terms of before dinner, all three lounges have entertainment. In the Observation Lounge, you may have drinks, listen to the pianist and watch the ship departing (if the timing is right). The Explorer Lounge is next to Compass Rose (the main dining venue) and it can get too crowded for us (we are not into crowds) so we go up one deck to the Meridian Lounge where there is various entertainment in a lovely environment. The lounges start serving canapés at 6:00 p.m.

I wish that I knew........ that you could order an appetizer portion of entrees (making it easier to order more than one item on the entree menu. Alternatively, you can order a entree size portion of an appetizer. Also, you can order anything that Regent has the ingredients for 24 hours in advance (you need to talk to the Dining Room Manager in Compass Rose in order to do this).

Also wish that I knew how crowded Compass Rose gets after an "event". For instance, the second night is generally the Captain's Reception. At the conclusion of the Reception, 300+ people heard to Compass Rose. IMO, unless you are going to a wedding or banquet with a limited menu, no restaurant can provide excellent service to that many people being seated at the same time. Although we would not book a specialty restaurant on that night because CR's menu has some really special items, we get there either when they open or wait until 8:00 p.m. (Note: The Captain's Farewell has the same issue - typically held the night before the last night onboard).

*Regarding flights. We try to book flights through Regent because they will assist you if there are any problems with the flights. However, Regent doesn't book your flights until approximately 75 days prior to the cruise. So, we "deviate". This costs $175/person but many just consider this part of the fare. You can book flights through Regent 270 days in advance of your cruise and can select your flights (as long as they are one of Regent's contracted carriers).

Definitely agree with TC about John Barron's show. That was our favorite. We booked our air with Regent but paid the deviation fee to be sure we got the nonstop flight from Charlotte to Barcelona.

Thanks to all who have replied thus far.

One of my biggest takeaways from the above comments is that I should consider contacting my TA about booking deviation flights. I know there are perfect nonstop flights on Delta from my local airport. I think my TA originally suggested waiting to see if I was happy with the flights provided before I deviated, but I would hate to see these two flights (one going and one returning) become booked. What are the chances that Regent books me on these flights (the only nonstop option from my airport) without using the deviation? If they prioritize nonstop then they should chose these flights anyway.

I'm actually a bit concerned about the early mornings. We are booked some mornings on excursions with 8:00-8:30 departure times. Although 8am isn't too early for us, I don't think it will give us time in the mornings to have a nice breakfast or a relaxing morning routine. I'll plan on just stopping by the cafe on these mornings and taking food to go (is that possible in any way?).

I'm excited to enjoy the spa, is it fair to assume that I can access the sauna, cold room, or spa pool without having any sort of appointment at the spa?

When I cruised many years ago I remember often ordering whatever I wanted for food, even 2 meals for the same course. Is this permissible on Regent?

furs840,

Hope you have a fabulous cruise on Explorer. if you haven't already read it you might find our post-cruise jottings from earlier this year of some interest:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2495688

Our take on your specific questions:

Arrive as soon as possible after check-in commences (Midday), then take a leisurely lunch & drinks until your suite is ready. Exploring the ship, unpacking and lifeboat drill will fill your time until sail-away

2) Best underutilized areas of the ship

Infinity Pool, and the games areas on the Sports Deck (golf putting, shuffleboard etc)

3) Where to get breakfast before heading off for an early shore excursion?

For us room service is ideal before an early excursion; always on time or early and perfectly presented

All the lounges/bars are very good. Try them all. Check the daily Passages (ships schedule) to see what pre-dinner entertainment is on in each location

Shows in the Theatre usually commence at 9:30pm. If you get there by 9:15pm you will get good seats. Do not bother with the balcony :eek:

6) What other things did you learn on your cruise that you wish you had known earlier?

Regent cruises can become addictive ;p

Yes, you can access all of the spa areas without a spa appointment.

Hi All,

We try to get onboard as soon as possible, make salon-spa reservations, make specialty restaurant reservations (easiest night and Compass Rose shines the second night), have lunch, unpack, do lifeboat drill, visit the spa, have dinner, go to opening show.

We second the infinity pool, sauna (but not hot enough!), and other spa areas. Also the fun 18-hole putting course. I would also vote for Compass Rose at breakfast. Very civilized, and I happen to like the Swedish pancakes, which I order with fresh berries and sour cream on the side. On the " yang" side, I also like the kippers with soft scrambled or poached eggs and the made to order smoked salmon Eggs Benedict with a squeeze of lime.

We like to sit outside at La Veranda, particular at the shady inside corner tables. Try an iced cappuccino if the weather is warm.

Ditto the above recommendations.

5) Post dinner entertainment, when to arrive for seating, and timing of shows? Also ditto to get the show early. We tend to eat later and skip about half the shows.

6) What we learned on the cruise was to sit in one of the small rear dining rooms in Compass Rose. Much less noisy and lower lighting makes these rooms preferable for us.

I'm getting even more excited for this trip as I read all of your replies.

In the event that I wish to sail again on Regent does anyone know what types of discounts they offer for booking another cruise while still on-board? I'm curious how significant the discount is and if it beats waiting for other sales throughout the year.

IMO, the best thing about booking onboard is the price guarantee (in case the price drops). The amount of the discount varies by the length of the cruise as well as the suite category you are staying in. To give you a few examples:

1. A 32 night cruise on the Voyager in 2018 has a $1150/person savings if you are in a Grand or Master Suite but a $750/person discount if you are in a "F" or "H" category suitel

2. A 10 night sailing on the Mariner has a $350 savings per person in the higher categories, $300/person in PH suites and $200/person in a "F" or "H" suite.

3. A 12 night cruise on Explorer has a $750/person discount in a Master or Grand Suite, $550/person in a PH and $3500/person in a "D" or "E" suite (note: I do not recommend "F" or "H" suites on the Explorer so did not quote the discount).

Hope this gives you an idea. Oops, almost forgot, if you book onboard. you get a $100 on board credit for the sailing that you are on!

furs840,

Hope you have a fabulous cruise on Explorer. if you haven't already read it you might find our post-cruise jottings from earlier this year of some interest:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2495688

Our take on your specific questions:

Arrive as soon as possible after check-in commences (Midday), then take a leisurely lunch & drinks until your suite is ready. Exploring the ship, unpacking and lifeboat drill will fill your time until sail-away

2) Best underutilized areas of the ship

Infinity Pool, and the games areas on the Sports Deck (golf putting, shuffleboard etc)

3) Where to get breakfast before heading off for an early shore excursion?

For us room service is ideal before an early excursion; always on time or early and perfectly presented

All the lounges/bars are very good. Try them all. Check the daily Passages (ships schedule) to see what pre-dinner entertainment is on in each location

Shows in the Theatre usually commence at 9:30pm. If you get there by 9:15pm you will get good seats. Do not bother with the balcony :eek:

6) What other things did you learn on your cruise that you wish you had known earlier?

Regent cruises can become addictive ;p

I second flossie009's comment about Regent being addictive. We are also Apple freaks, Apple watch, iPad, computer. How will a therapy center address all these issues? Only kidding. Our next cruise is in December from Miami. We live on South Beach, so we don't need air reservations this time. Otherwise, we use Regent deviations because we want nonstop flights. Furs840, considering what your cruise costs, why risk ruining your trip with inconvenient flights? Your deviation also allows you to add on days before or after the cruise, although you lose included transfers. We do not usually take cruise line's hotels because we have been traveling for a long time and have favorite spots in many places.

Mary

6) What we learned on the cruise was to sit in one of the small rear dining rooms in Compass Rose. Much less noisy and lower lighting makes these rooms preferable for us.

Couldn't agree more - in the main part of CR the noise level makes conversation difficult - also feels more like a banqueting hall than a restaurant IMO. Only slight downside is that there is a lot of foot traffic as wait staff go back & forth to the kitchens but service is nevertheless excellent!

Edited by rarin2go
afterthought

Travelcat2,

Why do you not recommend a "F" suite on the Explorer? We have 817 booked on a 2018 cruise (our first time cruising with Regent).

I think it was a typo and she meant "G" suites. 817 is one of the best F2 suites. Enjoy your cruise.

Explorer F1 & F2 Suites are equivalent to the D&E Suites, albeit many of the D&E Suites have deeper balconies and they come with Concierge amenities.

Cannot think why TC2 suddenly has a downer on Explorer F Suites; IMO they are the best value Suites on Explorer.

Travelcat2,

Why do you not recommend a "F" suite on the Explorer? We have 817 booked on a 2018 cruise (our first time cruising with Regent).

I'd assume this was a typo - TC is a big fan of the F suites - I believe she prefers them over the PH suites. We were in an F2 in April and loved, loved, loved the cabin. Best bang for the buck on Explorer, I think - and if you can score one of the angled balcony suites (such as 817), it's even better.

I think it was a typo and she meant "G" suites. 817 is one of the best F2 suites. Enjoy your cruise.

Dave - you're right - it was a typo (been waiting two months for a new keyboard for my new computer - Apple makes weird keyboards). I highly recommend the the "F" and Concierge Suites!

Since my cruise leaves October 4th, I assume that Regent will very soon issue flight information. Am I not just best off waiting too see what flights they provide before deviating?

At this point you may as well wait and see what Regent does. The only reason to deviate at this point would be if there is a non-stop flight that you really want or the fact that Regent will filling a lot of Business Class airlines seats - not so much from the city you are departing from but from wherever your plan stops for a connection. Several times we have been able to get to Europe on a great flight but getting to the port (whether it be in Europe, Asia or anywhere else) has been difficult.

Let us know how it works out!

Still waiting on flights.

In the meantime, I've got two new questions:

1) In Concierge suites apparently binoculars are supplied, can anyone confirm this? Also what quality or brand are they. I'm debating bringing my own pair and although they are fantastic they are quite a lot to pack if there is already a decent pair in the cabin.

2) I was planing on activating an international plan on my AT&T cellphone for use in the Mediterranean, but also noticed that their is a cruise ship plan from AT&T. I'd rather not purchase both of these, does anyone have a recommendation? If I have my iPhone and want to use land based cell towers while in port will my phone pick up those land based towers or use the ships system (which is more costly).

3) How is WiFi on board the explorer, I have heard mixed things. I'm wondering if it's strong enough to have apple facetime audio calls (no video, just audio over wifi). Has anyone tried this?