Transportation : Seatlle to Vancouver

Check with Norwegian about their shuttle bus. I know that they have a bus that goes from SeaTac airport to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver.

I am assuming that they would also a shuttle bus from the cruise ship terminal returning to SeaTac.

Amtrak is a great way to travel between the two cities. Customs is done at the train station in Vancouver on the way up. I would suggest traveling up the day before the cruise, just in case something happens and you don't miss the cruise.

Sept 17 leaving Seattle for Vancouver, thinking about Amtrak.

Any comments. Best way to and back on Sept 25

We researched this back in 2013 before our Alaska cruise out of Vancouver, comparing the bus option to the train. The Amtrack Cascades won out for comfort, scenery, and getting us there quicker. Road traffic at the border crossing can get very congested. I don't recall the timeframe now. I know we took the early am train. The website says it's a 4 hour trip. Sit on the left hand side of the train. The train runs literally along the coast. Nothing between you, the rocky beaches and the Pacific. When we went, the beaches and rocks were covered with Eagles. You have Bistro cars serving microbrews, regional cuisine and coffees, dining cars, and glass domed ones for viewing.

Some of the dates I looked at in August were sold out already. I wouldn't wait too long to book.

In order:

Car

Train

City Bus

Anything Else With Bus, Coach or Transfer in the name.

Yes, border crossing times can be long, especially on holiday weekends, but most times it's faster to clear the car than the other options. Even if the border had a half hour wait, you'll still beat the train by an hour.

The advantage to the car is you set the precise departure time and en route stops. I've yet to find a bus that takes the Chuckanut Drive or stops for ice cream at Edaleen Dairy. I've never had to wait for someone who can't make it through Immigration and I certainly haven't had to smell lavatory smells in my car. It's a beautiful drive and it's rarely congested once you're a half hour north of Seattle headed northbound or through the Massey Tunnel southbound.

The car also lets you explore awesome neighborhoods in Vancouver, like Steveston and Richmond. Richmond is rife with exceptional Chinese food.

Thoughts...

• Look at the train schedule.... look at the bus schedule and frequency. Does the trains schedule meet your needs?
  • Quick Shuttle offers drop off at many hotels..... train and other buses have you doing luggage drags on the public transit or needing to take a cab.
  • On September 25, sunset is 7pm. The evening trains may be travelling through darkness. Not much of a view.
  • Quick Shuttle offers service to/from Seattle's airport..... not just downtown Seattle.