How upscale is Oceania?

islandwoman

I've been a Princess cruiser for some time, but Princess is moving toward larger ships and less interesting (IMHO) itineraries. I'm looking for a cruise line with smaller ships and interesting itineraries. But I'm a casual passenger and not at all upscale (retired teacher). I'm not asking about cruise fares - I can see those for myself. What I want to know is, with my middle class interests and LLBean/Lands End wardrobe (I hate to shop), would I fit in on an Oceania cruise?

IMHO Oceania is not upscale. For us it is civilized adult comfortable. The brochures overstate (in pics) the actual reality of the clientele on board. Some do dress up more than others. But you will be just fine. For dinner a nice pair of black pants with a few dressy tops and ballet flats is a good start. There are plenty of views on attire which have been stated and overstated. Y'all will fit in nicely.

Just came back from Tahiti and most of my clothes are Lands End/LL Bean/ Talbots and Ebay :)

You'll be fine. Our tastes are middle-class and feel that O is just like home. Gave up on the massive ships of Celebrity years ago, hung on to O and never looked back.

There are threads on appropriate dress aboard Oceania ad Nausea already. Try reading them and decide for yourself.

Your OP means nothing because both of those clothing lines goes from extremely casual to dressy. Since we haven't a clue to which end of the spectrum you swing, we can't answer your question. Some of each line would be appropriate, while some would definitely not be!

I've been a Princess cruiser for some time, but Princess is moving toward larger ships and less interesting (IMHO) itineraries. I'm looking for a cruise line with smaller ships and interesting itineraries. But I'm a casual passenger and not at all upscale (retired teacher). I'm not asking about cruise fares - I can see those for myself. What I want to know is, with my middle class interests and LLBean/Lands End wardrobe (I hate to shop), would I fit in on an Oceania cruise?

My parents made the switch to Oceania from Princess several years ago. He was a retired professor, she is a homemaker. I sailed with Mom last spring and fit in well with clothing primarily from Chicos. There was a range. Just don't try to wear your Swimsuit and flipflops into the dining rooms. I enjoyed meeting people from all walks of life. We are sailing in less than 2 weeks on the Insignia.

Looking at photos in Oceania brochures made me think that I would feel out of place. Ha! Though a middle class Midwest cruiser, I am soon to take my 5th Oceania cruise. We've met interesting travelers from all walks of life. As far as dress, I have my evening cruise wardrobe, obtained through bargain basement sales. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like me, with a little Chico's and Norm Thompson thrown in. With a few colorful scarfs and good attitude you'll fit in fine! Enjoy Oceania.

Edited by Queen of DaNile
punctuation

I assure you that you will be fine. Civilized, courteous behavior is far more important than threads. Your concern reflects courtesy. Come on board!

Exactly.

Islandwoman, I believe that you will fit Oceania (and v.v.) perfectly in all ways. I hope that you will like it and will become a "regular' on Oceania.

Enjoy!

Lot's of retired teachers and all sorts of other professional folks, including many "preppie" dressers.

Maybe no formal nights could give you a clue?

I agree that you should fit right in. Dress neatly and you'll do fine. (That doesn't mean "dressily"!)

Welcome aboard.

Mura

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. We decided to book an Oceania cruise. Unfortunately the one we want is wait listed in every cabin category for nearly every sailing date (Sirena, Timeless Cuba)! So we're wait listed for the May 4, 2018 cruise.

I'm glad you posted this. Yes, there are many dress threads, but I loved the comment about the brochure pictures! I know they are professionals, but I don't spend money on jewelry (because every time my husband wanted to get me something, I wanted an extra vacation!) but I do have a Chicos wardrobe. We are also Midwest, I'm a nurse, and hubby retired from the car business. This will be our first Oceania cruise, and hoping it will become our first choice in the future.

There is a wide variety of dressing - very dressy and also very casual. It is pretty much up to you. The only thing is no blue jeans in the grand dining room or specialty restaurants at night. Passenger wore jeans and shorts in the buffet at night all the time. I was on my first European cruise with Oceania last August.

• 2 months later...

I have to admit .. the brochures have enticed me. I have only one personal review from a friend who spent 14 nights in South America and she "absolutely loved it".

I came to this thread wondering myself about clothing. I know the answer is "resort casual", but I am one of those who enjoys getting dolled up for dinner and strolling through the ship to cocktails before and some sort of entertainment or lounge activity afterwards. We live in the inland northwest and "casual" is all we have here unless you attend a gala fundraiser. Cruises have always appealed to me because it's the one time I get hubby out of jeans and tee shirt! Although he would probably rather not have to wear a tux, he has on many occasions on ships with less "prestige" than O. But because the brochure and website and boards emphasize "resort casual" I will just have him bring nice shirts, slacks and a blazer or two for this one. I had to twist his arm to spend more for this cruise than we would on mainstream HAL, Celebrity, Princess.

I have lots of expectations from Oceania. We just wanted something a little more upscale, fewer kids and activities geared to families, no singing in the dining rooms and good food with no upcharges at every turn. From the reviews it seems it can go either way. I plan to show up ready to have a good time and not ready to nit pick. 24 nights is a big deal for us and I really hope we will get to slow down, enjoy lounging around the ship, meeting people, playing cards (we are learning bridge!) trying some new things (like afternoon tea!) etc.

Seems this reply only touches on the WARDROBE thread... sorry.

Diane and Ron

Liberty Lake WA

Sailing on the Regatta March 29

Go ahead and dress up. If I attend a good dining venue, then nice dress is appropriate (not fancy necessarily) husband never brings a sport jacket but rather good shirts well ironed and docker type pants. If you want shorts & tees then stick to the buffet, we do that for breakfast and lunch which is ok. For dinner we enjoy being served in the elegant dining rooms always taking a table to share and have met wonderful people.

Either way you'll be sure to enjoy O, we've done 16 and it is definitely our favourite. Looking forward to Jan 13 for our next 26 days.

The true elegance is how well the staff treats you!

I almost always wear a blazer to dinner on O (except if I dine at the buffet) because it's a really easy way to dress up without actually dressing up (if that makes sense). I also can then get away with only ironing the front of my shirts!

I never feel out of place in my blazer and, in fact, can see many other men similarly dressed.

But it is really nice to not have to wear a tie or schlep a tux.

I have to admit .. the brochures have enticed me. I have only one personal review from a friend who spent 14 nights in South America and she "absolutely loved it".

I came to this thread wondering myself about clothing. I know the answer is "resort casual", but I am one of those who enjoys getting dolled up for dinner and strolling through the ship to cocktails before and some sort of entertainment or lounge activity afterwards. We live in the inland northwest and "casual" is all we have here unless you attend a gala fundraiser. Cruises have always appealed to me because it's the one time I get hubby out of jeans and tee shirt! Although he would probably rather not have to wear a tux, he has on many occasions on ships with less "prestige" than O. But because the brochure and website and boards emphasize "resort casual" I will just have him bring nice shirts, slacks and a blazer or two for this one. I had to twist his arm to spend more for this cruise than we would on mainstream HAL, Celebrity, Princess.

I have lots of expectations from Oceania. We just wanted something a little more upscale, fewer kids and activities geared to families, no singing in the dining rooms and good food with no upcharges at every turn. From the reviews it seems it can go either way. I plan to show up ready to have a good time and not ready to nit pick. 24 nights is a big deal for us and I really hope we will get to slow down, enjoy lounging around the ship, meeting people, playing cards (we are learning bridge!) trying some new things (like afternoon tea!) etc.

Seems this reply only touches on the WARDROBE thread... sorry.

Diane and Ron

Liberty Lake WA

Sailing on the Regatta March 29

I hope that your expectation will be met on Oceania - chances are pretty good they you will enjoy it :D

As for your husband - jackets are entirely optional. I never wear one for dinner - only collared shirts. It makes packing a lot easier. Bottom line - he is welcome to wear a jacket if he wishes to but most men will not be wearing one.

509ers

You can dress up with Tux & ballgown if that makes you happy

just do not expect your fellow cruisers to do the same

Most ladies wear a nice dress or dress slacks with a nice top & men wear dress shirt or polo shirt with nice slacks

as mentioned some will wear jackets some will not

That is why we like O

What's all this about ironing? Do you all send your clothes out to be pressed? Or do you waste time standing in line in the laundry room to use the iron? I have never been on a ship that allows irons in the cabins. Perhaps Oceania is different - but wouldn't that be a fire hazard? Or maybe you all own some magic suitcase that prevents wrinkling during the airlines' baggage-crushing transportation?