Under sold cruise: Does Oceania move cabin assignments upwards

GICNJC

They will offer deals to fill the ship closer to sailing

Maybe offer upsells to fill the upper Cat cabins to existing passengers

Most of the time they do sail close to full

How do you know it is undersold ?

guess they will have some lower fares coming up then ;)

I guess people do not want to fly that far for a 7 day cruise

ok if you are adding a land trip or another cruise I guess

My cruise end of august only recently sold out of balcony rooms. concierge and up are still quite vacant. After visiting cruise critic the past two weeks. I'm noticing many undersold cruises in the US and Europe regions for July/August. Many more vacant that my sailing

My current cruise appeared under sold. O made some terrific offers to cruisers on both ends of this cruise for b2b cruises and filled up the ship. I never heard that any of the original booked passengers even got an upsell offer.

My Riviera cruise Oct. 25 is undersold. I and many others from our roll call got upsell offers this week. Most went to those of us on deck 7 in the least expensive outsides and verandahs. None of us took the offer. Mine was for an OV to concierge veranda for $750 pp. Best I can figure is the value of that is $1050.

I made the final payment which is due July 20. Once all the final payments are in and there may be some cancellations I'll see if I get another offer or maybe a free upgrade to clear the lower priced cabins to be resold.

I doubt you will get a free upgrade. You might get a better offer as you get closer to sailing

You could have your ta try to negotiate an upsell price you would accept

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My question is: Has anyone arrived at embark port to find an unexpected upgrade they paid $0 for?

I'm sure it's happened here and there, but generally if you get an upgrade you'll know it before you board.

Upsell offers can be good or bad. Lots of features are great for some and a waste for others. Only you can decide if you want to spend the money. On some other lines, the upsell deals are outstanding. Some lines still give free upgrades to loyal guests. Some lines give free upgrades to first time cruisers. Just got a 3 category upgrade free on another line. Loved the upgrade. Next time I book on that line, I will probably book the upgrade category.

My question is: Has anyone arrived at embark port to find an unexpected upgrade they paid $0 for?

We got an unexpected upgrade at embarkation once - went from our carefully picked and desirable location to a supposedly 'higher' classification of a cabin at a truly undesirable location that made for a not so nice cruise. Be careful...

Most unlikely. It would set a dangerous precedent and unrealistic expectations. Why would they do it and how would they choose who to do it for (unless it is someone with 60+ cruises)?

Now - has it EVER happened? I don't know and it is possible but I wouldn't count on it :D

I am sure it happens on occasion

We had to cancel day before the cruise our friends did not get the message right away & went to our cabin & found other people there so probably they got a nice surprise at check in

I am sure it happens on occasion

We had to cancel day before the cruise our friends did not get the message right away & went to our cabin & found other people there so probably they got a nice surprise at check in

The question is. - did they pay for this (however little) or was it gratis?

On our first Oceania cruise we had booked a forward facing balcony cabin and at check in we were given a different cabin number. I was very upset at the switch until I found out that our cabin was a PH (on an R ship).

Somebody (important?) must have wanted our forward facing balcony real bad. This has never happened again.

We got an unexpected upgrade at embarkation once - went from our carefully picked and desirable location to a supposedly 'higher' classification of a cabin at a truly undesirable location that made for a not so nice cruise. Be careful...

This happened to us too.( not Oceania) Once was a great upgrade from balcony to suite in Antartartica,amazing service and fantastic wrap around aft balcony.Another time was a basic balcony to more expensive balcony,but turned out to be by noisy elevators,above entertainment lounge.We had the rehearsals of each show every afternoon and then the shows once or twice an evening blasting into our cabin.And we don't do shows..

Will never opt for an upsell or upgrade without having cabin number first.

Our next cruise is in an Oceania suite and although I would have loved to have an OS suite at the back,I'm not prepared to take the risk of being under The Terrace.

Likewise I don't want upgrade/upsell to a Vista suite as they are at the front and posts have said how difficult it is to use the balcony on sea days( an area we use a lot).We have quite a few sea days.So my agent has been told not to bother contacting us if there are any offers for Vistas.

Because I am so fussy about noise,I study the cabin positions and deck plans very carefully.

So as Daka says,be careful...

If a ship is undersold with the majority of the sold lowest priced cabins all on the same lower decks, does O ever upgrade to spread the guests throughout ship? The cabin stewards on the full deck would have a lot more work to do than the cabin stewards on the empty decks.

Is there anywhere on the O web site to view what cabins are sold and what cabins are available? Anyway to find out how full your sailing is? I have another cruise booked on Princess for the future and their web site shows how the ship is sold, allows you to pick out the cabin you want from the unsold inventory.

We've been in 11083 on Marina (aft OC) and weren't bothered by noise from Terrace at all. We're booked again in the both 11083 and 11080 for our next two cruises.

Mura

If a ship is undersold with the majority of the sold lowest priced cabins all on the same lower decks, does O ever upgrade to spread the guests throughout ship? The cabin stewards on the full deck would have a lot more work to do than the cabin stewards on the empty decks.

Is there anywhere on the O web site to view what cabins are sold and what cabins are available? Anyway to find out how full your sailing is? I have another cruise booked on Princess for the future and their web site shows how the ship is sold, allows you to pick out the cabin you want from the unsold inventory.

Historically speaking, they do tend to fill the ship one way or another (there may be a few vacancies on some cruises). The way they do it is by offering upsells from lower cat cabins to higher ones, thus opening more affordable cabins for late bookings. Also by making last minute offers at a discount price - if necessary - for all empty cabins.

You can see what cabins are open by making a "test" booking and you will be given a choice of cabins in that category and the deck you prefer - just do not complete the booking. The list of available cabins is not a complete or full list - just a certain number (unless there are just a few left, in which case you will be given all choices). If you want a particular cabin and it is not one of those listed as available, just put in the cabin number. I suppose you could do this for every single cabin on a deck and see what is available - a lot of work :D

My Riviera cruise Oct. 25 is undersold. I and many others from our roll call got upsell offers this week. Most went to those of us on deck 7 in the least expensive outsides and verandahs. None of us took the offer. Mine was for an OV to concierge veranda for $750 pp. Best I can figure is the value of that is $1050.

I made the final payment which is due July 20. Once all the final payments are in and there may be some cancellations I'll see if I get another offer or maybe a free upgrade to clear the lower priced cabins to be resold.

Oceania does not offer free upgrades to passengers..

Jancruz1