Miami Debark - alternative to the Regent bus tours?

nuneham

We have done 2 of the bus tours offered by Regent in Miami previously. Would welcome any suggestions for how to fill the 6 or 7 hours that we will have available in late November.

Rent a car near the port, several companies there, then return at the airport. Do and see whatever you like.

We have done 2 of the bus tours offered by Regent in Miami previously. Would welcome any suggestions for how to fill the 6 or 7 hours that we will have available in late November.

What did you do on the Regent bus tours of Miami? We may be taking one when we return from a cruise in November. Our flight isn't until 3:20 p.m.

A private tour may be a good idea since you'll have your luggage with you but the traffic can be quite bad and you could end up stuck in it. Interesting dilemma! I'll check out some tours and if anything sounds good, I'll post!

P.S. Just thought about Viator.com. We did a tour with them in Delhi that was great. You may want to check them out at. Once at their website, just enter "Miami".

Greetings, Travelcat2. With a 3:20 flight, you probably have to be at the airport around 1:20. At least that was the time frame for our last flight, albeit, an international one. There is so much construction in Miami/Dade right now, it can really screw up a trip. My husband and I went to Hollywood, FL. last Wednesday around 1:30 for a four day Mensa convention. It took us more than 75 minutes from our place to the Diplomat Hotel. Our Sunday the return was 25 minutes.

Renting a car gives you freedom and a place to store your luggage. There are also tour companies listed on Goggle, and other websites. The main advantage of a Regent tour is that you will make your flight. Good luck with the search.

Mary

Greetings, Travelcat2. With a 3:20 flight, you probably have to be at the airport around 1:20. At least that was the time frame for our last flight, albeit, an international one. There is so much construction in Miami/Dade right now, it can really screw up a trip. My husband and I went to Hollywood, FL. last Wednesday around 1:30 for a four day Mensa convention. It took us more than 75 minutes from our place to the Diplomat Hotel. Our Sunday the return was 25 minutes.

Renting a car gives you freedom and a place to store your luggage. There are also tour companies listed on Goggle, and other websites. The main advantage of a Regent tour is that you will make your flight. Good luck with the search.

Mary

Thanks Mary - we will likely go with the Regent tour. I was trying to think of something for the TS. We wouldn't want to book a car for only in a few hours in a huge city like Miami. The traffic you described is to something that I would want to subject anyone to - especially not for a relaxing visit in an interesting city (one of the many reasons we left Los Angeles). Private tours also have a place for your luggage.

Jackie

Last November Regent held our luggage while we were on the tours. The first took us around the city & we saw the beach & the Art Deco buildings. After a restroom stop the second took us to a more residential area & returned through the area which is home to many people from Cuba. There were several stops at which you could leave the bus. Back at the restroom area there was a truck & 2 porters to hand over our luggage. We were then transferred to the airport. You may gather from these very vague descriptions that it was our first visit to the city.

It worked well to be without luggage & the traffic was daunting. We were considering leaving our luggage with Regent again, taking the bus but getting off somewhere to explore on foot rather than completing the whole circuit. I'll try to identify the area with the restroom to which the buses returned, and where our luggage was delivered. If you are considering the bus tour, don't forget sunscreen & cover for your head & arms as it was an open-topped bus & very hot.

Last November Regent held our luggage while we were on the tours. The first took us around the city & we saw the beach & the Art Deco buildings. After a restroom stop the second took us to a more residential area & returned through the area which is home to many people from Cuba. There were several stops at which you could leave the bus. Back at the restroom area there was a truck & 2 porters to hand over our luggage. We were then transferred to the airport. You may gather from these very vague descriptions that it was our first visit to the city.

It worked well to be without luggage & the traffic was daunting. We were considering leaving our luggage with Regent again, taking the bus but getting off somewhere to explore on foot rather than completing the whole circuit. I'll try to identify the area with the restroom to which the buses returned, and where our luggage was delivered. If you are considering the bus tour, don't forget sunscreen & cover for your head & arms as it was an open-topped bus & very hot.

Thanks for the tip! Although we have been to Miami a few times, I'd rather sit on a bus for a while than be at the airport fir 5 hours.

The Perez art museum would be a great place to spend a few hours before leaving for the airport. Its downtown,

not too far from the port and terrific. There is also a wonderful restaurant in the museum.

The Perez art museum would be a great place to spend a few hours before leaving for the airport. Its downtown,

not too far from the port and terrific. There is also a wonderful restaurant in the museum.

Thank you for that suggestion. The location seems perfect.

I have commented earlier on a separate Thread--"Terminal J at Miami"--regarding our experience last month when debarking from a Navigator cruise to the Amazon River. Would suggest that Thread be reviewed.

What is relevant to this Thread is the amount of time you might--or might not--have at Miami before getting to either the Miami or Ft. Lauderdale airports for homeward-bound flights. Anticipate not being able to get off your Regent ship at Terminal J until 0945-1000H. This is way-later than what you will be told when reading the disembarkation documents provided about a week before return to Miami. Ours advised our particular "Group" Color (the first-off, as we had made independent arrangements for direct transfer to Miami Airport) would be called at 0830-0845H. We were ready; then we waited, and waited.

Just saying--that four or five, or more hours you may think you can anticipate having for leisure independent or group travel in a rental car or bus tour in Miami--might well be shrunk by two + hours. That will take the bloom off the rose of a leisure experience.

Hope for the best; but plan for an alternative situation.

GOARMY!

Nuneham,

Where did the bus drop you at the airport? Was it a single, central location, or did the bus stop at each terminal building, depending on your airline?

Our flight last year, and this, was at 5PM. We can't remember going to more than one terminal, but do recall that the others on the Regent coach to the airport seemed to be on the same flight. We went initially to Frankfurt & then on to various destinations in Europe. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

GOARMY, that was exactly our experience last year, when we didn't leave the ship until 0945, but with a flight at 1700 we still had a time to fill. We anticipate something similar in November and plan to experience something on foot rather than from the top of an open-top bus.

We have now looked again at the maps and think the central point for the bus tours, which is where there was a restroom & where we picked up our luggage & the Regent airport transfer, was Bayfront Park/Bayside Market Place? Perhaps someone could confirm this.

As is the case in many large cities, the area surrounding the airport is a scary place...one wrong turn and you may find yourself in a bad situation. I live 30 minutes north of Miami and can attest to the traffic, but also the relatively confusing streets surrounding the airport...I'd suggest staying with the Regent offerings!