Camouflage in the Caribbean?

Kimba1910

This is very old news. We have been cruising over forty years, and have known about camo bans in Barbados for as long as we can remember. Must admit that we did not know about Jamaica. But as a long time cruiser we simply avoid camo stuff anywhere. And by the way, it is not a capital crime in Barbados. :). We once witnessed a teen boy being stopped on the pier (at Barbados) and simply being told he would have to go back onboard and change his shorts.

Hank

This is very old news. We have been cruising over forty years, and have known about camo bans in Barbados for as long as we can remember. Must admit that we did not know about Jamaica. But as a long time cruiser we simply avoid camo stuff anywhere. And by the way, it is not a capital crime in Barbados. :). We once witnessed a teen boy being stopped on the pier (at Barbados) and simply being told he would have to go back onboard and change his shorts.

Hank

Hank has it right. At my age I certainly wouldn't be wearing any camo outfit to begin with, but I've known for a long time that it is not acceptable, in general, throughout the Caribbean.

There's usually been a warning on the ship's newspaper about this when we've travelled; we, too, discovered that we had camo under the rim of a sunhat and had to rebuy on one occasion- we'd just never noticed!

Perhaps it is old news...but I, myself have never heard of this. (I guess I am a dummy) Although this does not affect me, I am sure it may affect others that also did not know this..so I appreciate the info.

Same here. I've been on several cruises and had no idea about this. I don't wear it, but it's good to know in case I ever travel with someone who might have something with a camo design on it.

I think this subject is always interesting. I guess some folks assume that new members automatically know all the old subjects. Things change, so an occasion review is good for the forum.

I was shopping for shorts yesterday and noted how popular camo patterns are still popular and stylish. I was even surprised to see a few people wearing camo in Europe on the Rick Steves show.

Burt

while I will not say it is common knowledge in that everyone knows this, it is mentioned every so often.

Agreed, I didn't know it till I heard the CD's morning show when we arrived in Barbados back in 2014. I would ASSUME if you were wearing something as you exited the ship security would have said something.

It's only old news if you've heard it before, there are new people cruising/traveling for the first time every day and I'm sure this would be new news to them.

Thank you for your post Many people forget this and must chime in as if everybody SHOULD know it. They seem to forget they were 1st time travellers as well

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app