Brooklyn pre cruise hotel help

Hi, we. Are going on Regal Princess Oct. 26, 17. I know nothing about the area and only need hotel for one night. Has anyone stayed at the Sleep Inn on 134 22nd St.? We are flying into LGA and will probably use car service from there to hotel.

Thank you

Missouri travel girl ~ I know nothing about this hotel, but I just took a quick look at the address on Google streetview. From what I saw, it's in a blue-collar semi-residential, semi-industrial (auto repair shops, etc) area and almost next door to an elevated highway (the Gowanus Expressway). Probably nothing wrong with the neighborhood, except that it's not a "tourist location" by any stretch of the imagination, and you'd be hard-pressed to find anything to do in the immediate area.

Personally, I don't think it's especially convenient for either LGA or the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. You'd be using a car service to get you there from LGA, and then using a car service the next day to get you to the cruise terminal.

If you are interested in any sightseeing in Manhattan before your cruise, IMO you'd be much better off staying at a hotel in Lower Manhattan, where there are a number of chain hotels (e.g., Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, and the like) that might fit your budget and allow you to enjoy a more pleasant overall experience. Carol (138east) might be able to suggest specific hotels that would suit you & your group.

If you do stay in Lower Manhattan, you could easily take the new ferry over to Red Hook to board the Regal Princess--the ferry docks right next to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and costs only $2.75 pp. For more info, see this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519678

I looked at the lower Manhattan hotel options for the OP. Unfortunately they are looking for 6 rooms on a weekday night in October (high season) and I'm not seeing anything close to their budget.

Missouri Travel girl - is your group at all interested in sightseeing in midtown Manhattan (Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc)? If so, perhaps we should look at hotels in Queens with good access to the subway.

I actually stayed in a Sleep Inn in Brooklyn several years ago, but not the one on 22nd St. It was in a blue-collar, semi-residential, semi-Industrial neighborhood near the elevated subway line. The hotel itself was fine. My husband and I had once lived in that area of Brooklyn on the edge of Borough Park and Sunset Park, so we were comfortable with neighborhood. However, I can imagine that someone from the Midwest might find it offputting.

The area is as described, a working class area with mostly Latino population, closest subway stop is 25th Street & 4th Ave, a local stop on the R line underground, about 4 blocks walk. Probably okay for 1 night sleep but really nothing in that area. It's convenient to a multi-story federal facility nearby on the waterfront to visiting families. I suggest picking something closer to BCT, or even LIC. Not very convenient from LGA as you will need 2, maybe 3 minivans from car service to shuttle everyone & all the luggage.

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.