Uber VS Taxi NYC

phillyguy31

Either works. Download the "Curb" app; you can call a cab with it if you need to. There is a surcharge to pay for the cab with the app (sometimes I do; I'm lazy). But honestly, cabs are generally everywhere, at least in Manhattan.

Unless you're trying to go crosstown at rush hour. Good luck with that from ANYONE!

Can anyone also comment on service such as Dial 7?

We recommend Dial7 all the time, but primarily for longer trips where you might benefit from a fixed price rather than a metered ride. Any trip between NY and NJ would be a car service recommendation like Dial7.

Can anyone also comment on service such as Dial 7?

Carmel or Dial7 are great as Carol says for longer trips where fixed pricing is good, and the quality of the vehicle will hopefully be a little better than an NYC cab (which can vary a bit!). There are plenty of car services in NYC for local trips, but they mostly seem to be commercial accounts. No experience other than a passenger a couple of times when visiting a business in Manhattan.

I use Uber now over taxis. With Uber the price is set no matter how long the ride takes. With a taxi the meter is always running, so if your stuck in traffic you're paying for going no where.

I use Uber now over taxis. With Uber the price is set no matter how long the ride takes. With a taxi the meter is always running, so if your stuck in traffic you're paying for going no where.

Conversely, I've often spent more time longer waiting on an Uber to arrive in the city than just hailing a cab.

Have also used Dial 7 for airport/cruiseport/hotel transfers multiple times and always been happy with them.

Conversely, I've often spent more time longer waiting on an Uber to arrive in the city than just hailing a cab.

Have also used Dial 7 for airport/cruiseport/hotel transfers multiple times and always been happy with them.

But with Uber it is not a crapshoot. You know how long it's going to be and then you connect. Some avenues in Manhattan it's easy hailing a cab while others or certain time of day difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Uber has surge pricing in NYC. They say that they use surge pricing to entice drivers to work during busy times. Pricing is dynamic, and can change quickly due to rush hour, weather or local events. I live and work in NYC and do not take Uber. I use either a taxi or car service (price fixed). Uber's prices can be 5 times higher during busy times (10 times higher happens a few times a year, like New Year's Eve). If you see surge pricing on the app, wait 10 minutes, it sometimes comes down.

When we were leaving NYC to fly home to DFW vis LGA we tried getting a taxi doorman at our hotel tried for 10 mins to flag one down with no luck, glad we had Uber app , this normally doesn't happen but there were a few parades that Sunday

Why not just take the subway? :confused:

NYC subway has had lots of issues recently line I used to take is currently not running "M" train (when I lived in NYC) , also would not want to take lots of luggage on a subway

NYC subway has had lots of issues recently line I used to take is currently not running "M" train (when I lived in NYC) , also would not want to take lots of luggage on a subway

The OP is talking about going to a show the night before their cruise. Thus no luggage issues. Plus I assume they are staying somewhere in Manhattan thus they can take a,c,e,1,2,3 trains.

Haven't ever tried the NYC subway but we will be dropped off in the Times Square area and probably want to go to the Battery Park area. Are the subways pretty easy to figure out when you haven't done them before?

The OP is talking about going to a show the night before their cruise. Thus no luggage issues. Plus I assume they are staying somewhere in Manhattan thus they can take a,c,e,1,2,3 trains.

Haven't ever tried the NYC subway but we will be dropped off in the Times Square area and probably want to go to the Battery Park area. Are the subways pretty easy to figure out when you haven't done them before?

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

From Times Square both the downtown #1 and R train go to South Ferry which is adjacent to Battery Park. The subway entrances are well signed and the trains are well marked. Don't get fancy trying to take an express train and transfer to a local train. Just ride the locals, which will probably be less crowded anyway.

It is actually quite simple. Especially if you have a smart phone and google maps. (you can even use google maps on the computer). just click the "transit" icon and all the lines and stations will pop up. (the lines are all color coded)

It is actually quite simple. Especially if you have a smart phone and google maps. (you can even use google maps on the computer). just click the "transit" icon and all the lines and stations will pop up. (the lines are all color coded)

Would add that tourists unfamiliar with the subway should not hesitate to ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing.

Yes, we New Yorkers almost always look like we don't want to be disturbed, but if you see someone just standing there and not wearing headphones, it won't hurt to just ask "is this the right train/platform/direction to Times Square?".

You might get a brushoff but just ask someone else. You might find yourself surprised that multiple locals will enjoy the chance to give information (sometimes many of us will answer at the same time - it can be pretty funny).

The few times I've taken a cab to the theater, I've abandoned it because the traffic barely moves.

Definitely use the subway (or bus).

• 3 weeks later...