Mariner Refit

Apologies if this has been covered in other threads, has Mariner had a refit already? Looking at the photos on RSSC its hard to tell. If it's not been refitted, am I correct it assuming Mariner is looking tired as seems to come up in the occasional review? Just booked a penthouse suite on Mariner for an Alaskan cruise next year and only prior experience is on Explorer so my expectations are high. Thanks in advance.

Apologies if this has been covered in other threads, has Mariner had a refit already? Looking at the photos on RSSC its hard to tell. If it's not been refitted, am I correct it assuming Mariner is looking tired as seems to come up in the occasional review? Just booked a penthouse suite on Mariner for an Alaskan cruise next year and only prior experience is on Explorer so my expectations are high. Thanks in advance.

Hi - I'll be on the Mariner next month and will take photos of how she looks now. The one thing about Regent's three ships that can make them look older is the tile in the bathrooms. Unfortunately, changing the tile is a daunting task. It is not something that can be done while the ship is at sea nor is there enough time to do it during dry dock. So, although she will look gorgeous (not as beautiful as Explorer for many reasons), she will have new carpeting, furniture, etc. The restaurants are being redone and I believe that La Veranda (the buffet restaurant during the day and the Italian restaurant by night) will try to copy Explorer as much as they can (there will not be an open kitchen at night however).

I do wonder how much you know about Alaska cruises (not talking about Alaska itself - it is stunning there). I'm frequently saying that, IMO, Alaska cruises are not representative of cruises in other parts of the world. Part of this is the close proximity of Vancouver to people living in the U.S. They have many people new to Regent on these cruises and, many of these newbies are families (not putting down families - there are just fewer families and dramatically less children during the rest of the year). If you want a more typical/adult experience, I recommend going to Alaska in May or late August. Interestingly, at least this year, Regent has had difficulty selling some August itineraries.

We are staying in a PH suite next month and have stayed in one previously. They are a great size and, IMO, laid out better than the PH suites on Explorer.

If you are interested in the differences between Explorer and the other Regent ships (Mariner in particular), you may want to start a new thread.

Glad to see you back on the Regent board!

We were on the Mariner last March, and really didn't think snything looked "tired". We felt she was in very good shape, and we have crused her since she was new. One thing about the Mariner that bothers us is that all suite categories below Penthouse are beginning to feel too small and cramped to us. But other than that, she is still a fine ship.

We were on the Mariner last March, and really didn't think snything looked "tired". We felt she was in very good shape, and we have crused her since she was new. One thing about the Mariner that bothers us is that all suite categories below Penthouse are beginning to feel too small and cramped to us. But other than that, she is still a fine ship.

Agree with you on all levels. If I sounded a bit harsh about the Mariner it is because the TS (Thread Starter) has sailed on Explorer and liked it. For those of us that like/love Explorer and have not been on other Regent ships, IMO, it is better to kind of "reset" expectations. I expect the Mariner to look amazing after the next dry dock but, according to what I heard a year ago, she will not be getting all new tile in the bathrooms which, IMO, causes the ship to show age. I have seen new tiles in parts of the bathroom in some suites but the sink area remains as it was when it was built.

If you are going in 2018 then Mariner will already have been refurbished (due for dry dock March 2018)

We love the Penthouse Suites on Mariner as they are an excellent size & layout. However we always opt for one marked on the deck plans as 'shower only' as we do not like the arrangement of tub/shower combo in the other suites

Hope you have a good cruise on what will be the newly refurbished Mariner

Thanks to all

Great to be back on the Board and looking forward to being on board again soon.

Very relieved to hear Mariner will be refitted before our cruise. We've only cruised on Explorer so really our expectations are high.

Thanks for the welcome back TC and would appreciate photos and thoughts post your trip. Canada/alaska will be a first for me so all advice v appreciated, booked end of May. Hopefully that's not school holidays?

I have booked 905 which is Penthouse C. Oddly from my reading of the deck plans available A and B penthouse seem to be worse positions e.g. right under the pool or next to elevators. Any advice on whether 905 is ok greatly appreciated.

I have booked 905 which is Penthouse C. Oddly from my reading of the deck plans available A and B penthouse seem to be worse positions e.g. right under the pool or next to elevators. Any advice on whether 905 is ok greatly appreciated.

Yes, we have never seen a need to opt for a PHA or PHB on Mariner as the PHC Suites are just fine and in good locations

We have not stayed in 905, but have been in 903 and 906. We found the location of these forward suites to be very good; no noise and little or no passing foot traffic; fairly near to the front stairs & elevator meaning easy to get to other decks

Canada/alaska will be a first for me so all advice v appreciated, booked end of May. Hopefully that's not school holidays?

The end of May should be good! We will be in suite 910 and have been in that area before and it was fine. Agree about penthouses under the pool - we would not book them!