Single passenger prices.....Really?

Looking at single passenger prices for a friend on the Vision from Galveston. Are they nuts? :eek:

Nope. Same price as cruising with someone. Cabins are priced based on double occupancy.

And like Clarea mentioned- RCI prices are high enough across the fleet right now.

I forget what cruise line it was about, but I thought I read somebody expressing concern that if they cancelled the companion they were going to cruise with that that the cruise line would charge them more than they're currently being charged based on the double occupancy. I took that to mean that any amount up to and including the cost of two passengers was pretty normal for one passenger these days.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

LOL, not just single pax. I tried to book a last minute cruise on the Oasis for July of this year. There were cabins available, but the price was, if I remember correctly give or take a few dollars, Inside was $3400 PP.

I guess the days of last minute cruise deals are gone.

LOL, not just single pax. I tried to book a last minute cruise on the Oasis for July of this year. There were cabins available, but the price was, if I remember correctly give or take a few dollars, Inside was $3400 PP.

There are rarely deals during peak summer season. Never have been

Looking at single passenger prices for a friend on the Vision from Galveston. Are they nuts? :eek:

yes, really. Nuts is subjective. I look at it just like paying $100 a night for a hotel room even though I have the bed to myself. and at least on a cruise, that $100 a night includes food and entertainment.

Also, Galveston ships are very popular with the locals.

LOL your memory if not so good, LOL. I could go online right now fleetwide and last minute, your prices pp for an inside stateroom isn't even close, you might want to double check that price.:rolleyes:

Give or take more than a few dollars... Oasis July 30th interior cabin is less than $1,150 per person.

I booked HOS for July 29 (next week). I'm solo but the solo cabins were already booked, so I booked a Superior Ocean Balcony cabin at the end of last month. I ended up with a $2,200 bill. I thought that wasn't bad, considering it's an Ocean View Balcony.

I have noticed that prices have really sky rocketed the last week or two, though.

Same as hotels - based on double occupancy. You only pay port fees and taxes for one and get double loyalty points. I look at it as either staying home or going on a cruise. After cruising solo your friend will realize how enjoyable it is and never want to cruise with a cabin mate.

some off season NCL cruises have no double whammy. i remember last winter i could have had an inside for about 700 out the door from NYC

We took a family cruise, 16 of us, and had a great time. They did match our diamond status and we received quite a few perks from that. The 5% off booking was great, plus we got an additional 5% for my husband being a veteran. I thought there were too many tables and not enough loungers in the shade. Also note that they do not have ANY pool that is zero entry. We had a family member who could not do the ladder into and out of the pools, so she could not use the pool. I booked this cruise for 3 reasons. First, the cost. It is very difficult to stick with royal when booking 3rd and 4th passengers at rates of $900 plus. Second, it went exactly where we wanted to go. Although royal goes to Jamaica, it stops in Falmouth instead of Ocho Rios, and we wanted to do the falls without a 2 1/2 hour drive to get there. Also, it went to Grand Caymen, which many of the royal ships do not go to anymore. All in all, for us, it was a great cruise.

We took a family cruise, 16 of us, and had a great time. They did match our diamond status and we received quite a few perks from that. The 5% off booking was great, plus we got an additional 5% for my husband being a veteran.

It might help others to mention the cruiseline.

Biker, who assumes the poster is talking about MSC.

To the OP, a very few RCL ships have solo cabins, but Vision does not have them. So you pay the 2-person rate in a regular cabin if travelling alone.

I have priced "solo" cabins several times and they ended up being more expensive than an inside. Less floor space, a single bed, and no double points. not worth booking.

We took a family cruise, 16 of us, and had a great time. They did match our diamond status and we received quite a few perks from that. The 5% off booking was great, plus we got an additional 5% for my husband being a veteran. I thought there were too many tables and not enough loungers in the shade. Also note that they do not have ANY pool that is zero entry. We had a family member who could not do the ladder into and out of the pools, so she could not use the pool. I booked this cruise for 3 reasons. First, the cost. It is very difficult to stick with royal when booking 3rd and 4th passengers at rates of $900 plus. Second, it went exactly where we wanted to go. Although royal goes to Jamaica, it stops in Falmouth instead of Ocho Rios, and we wanted to do the falls without a 2 1/2 hour drive to get there. Also, it went to Grand Caymen, which many of the royal ships do not go to anymore. All in all, for us, it was a great cruise.

I'm thinking you meant to put this on another board? I'm not exactly sure what a family cruise for 16 has to do with single supplement pricing.

Royal's prices can be high, I agree. I priced a cruise on the Liberty of the Seas and on the Carnival Breeze. They came in very close, within $100.00, which surprised me. The Breeze had 70% approval ratings on Cruise Critic and the Liberty had 76%. We went with the Liberty since my husband has had better results with dive excursions booked with RCI than Carnival. Some were cancelled on Carnival, but none were cancelled on RCI.

The Breeze is a newer ship, but we have been on the Liberty before and liked it.