QMII - Three women in a cabin

Kryssa

Hello!

This would be my first time sailing Cunard after having sailed most of the larger cruise lines based in the US. My and two other women are planning a reunion of sorts, but one of them lives in the UK so we thought a 7-9 night transatlantic would be perfect.

We'd like to share a balcony cabin. Is there anything we should know? Is there a big difference between Britannia and Britannia club? We are trying to keep costs as low as possible but still be comfortable - we want to still like each other at the end of the cruise!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

My understanding of Britannia Club is basically the dining option. Eat as an insular group at a time of your choosing within the Club Dining restaurant every night. Standard Britannia, opt to eat together fixed time early or late every night or same timewise but share on a table of eight or whatever.

Booking is probably best done through a US agent or Cunard direct in the US. You are going to have to examine the documents carefully regarding flights to make sure your flights are as you need them if two people are flying to the US at the end and one is flying to the US at the beginning assuming you are sailing Eastbound. Cabin selection is crucial particularly if you wish to avoid upper berths.

Regards John

Difficult one really as Booking on Cunard UK usually includes an air fare and includes fees and taxes in the price . USA Bookings do not include this and are an add on, plus the fees and taxes. You still can use Cunard Air.

If you do end up booking 2 staterooms in "Britannia" you can link the Dining together with a link code so you dine on the same table at the same time.

Really be sure what you are booking before you do it. Some balcony cabins cannot be booked for more than two people.

Even with a balcony cabin that will take three people, someone has to sleep on the dreaded sofa bed.

For me three adults in a balcony cabin would be one adult too many.

I've stayed in Britannia Club and can give you my input. First, in Britannia Club the main difference is in the dining arrangement.

In Britannia Club you are assigned the same table for all three meals. You are not limited to a set dinner time but can show up anytime that the dining room is open. Britannia Club also has flambe entrees and desserts that are not available in the main restaurant. You can request a table for 4, 6, or 8 depending on whether or not you want table mates. In the regular Britannia staterooms you are assigned a table for either the early or the late dinner seating. You cannot be late for dinner because the last orders are taken a half hour after the announced dinner time. Seating for breakfast or lunch is open.

On QM2 all Britannia Club staterooms are on decks 12 and 13 and therefore in the forward part of the ship. I just checked the deck plans and none of them can accommodate a third person, although some on deck 12 have an interconnecting door. So going with Britannia Club is going to cost one of you a single supplement to put three women into two cabins. In my opinion it will be challenging for even two women to find enough closet space for their clothes, room for their luggage, and to share a bathroom. There are no baggage rooms on any Cunard ship. These staterooms are also so narrow that Cunard goes out of its way to state "mobility scooters not allowed". (Not that you plan to bring one but you get the idea.)

Balcony staterooms that can accommodate a third person are on decks 4, 5, 6, and 8. (Look for cabins marked "+" in the deck plan: https://www.cunard.com/Documents/2017-18-deck-plans/QM2-deck-plans-2017-18.pdf). Deck 8 is cheapest because these have views at least partially blocked by lifeboats. If you don't intend to spend a lot of time in your cabin - just sleep, shower and change clothes - this can work if you can make some agreements before going. You will probably want a cabin where the king/queen bed can be converted to two twins. Depending on when you sail, there is sometimes a price break for the third person in a cabin.

Do your due diligence before booking. As you said, you want to remain friends after your voyage!

Edited by BlueRiband

If 3 people in a cabin, what is the price for the 3rd person? Is it same as double occupancy price if only 2 people in the cabin? Or is there a discounted price for the 3rd person, or some total price to be divided by 3 people?

Book forward so one or two of the occupants can shower in the gym.

(Oops, on QM2 this requires a paid spa pass.)

I think there are shower facilities for women adjacent to the pool on Deck 12?

If 3 people in a cabin, what is the price for the 3rd person? Is it same as double occupancy price if only 2 people in the cabin? Or is there a discounted price for the 3rd person, or sum total price to be divided by 3 people?

Normally on cruise lines the fare for the third person is substantially less than the base price relevant to that cabin with just two typically sharing. In this way it is generally feasible to book a better type of cabin, mini-suite etc. and divide the fare by three and everyone pays a third which is not excessively expensive. I think this option is better than two in a cabin and one in another which is not a good set up for a reunion whosoever is on their own will feel a bit excluded imo.

Regards John

For three people a Princess Grill suite would be far more comfortable with its walk in closet and plenty of cabinet space. However the OP said that she needs to keep costs down as low as possible. I've no experience with the fare for a third person but it likely varies a lot. Some time ago a couple took their 16 year old grandson along because it only cost about $250 extra! We also don't know what time of the year she is aiming for. A December transatlantic sailing will cost a lot less than one in August.

My wife and I have sailed 2 cruises with our daughter in a sheltered balcony, I slept on the sofa bed which I found to be quite comfortable. I think our daughter was about half the price that we were,but you dont get OBC for the third guest.