No cloths on

cocowills

I once wondered why there was a gap in the Azamara schedule. It happened to be a particular timeframe I wanted to cruise and I searched for the dates and the ship. Though not on their website, the search engine results came up with a cruise on a "swingers" website. It seems that both Azamara and Celebrity do these cruises (NO, I DIDN'T BOOK).

So, if you find a gap in their schedule, that is probably what they are doing and you are right (clothes not required in public places).

Each to their own - but if they are happy to do those cruises what does the fact that they don't include them on their websites suggest (NO, DON'T TELL ME) I'm sure I can guess why.

p.s. Be aware that ships at sea are not bound by laws to a country. If you found yourself in a difficult/contentious situation then you might have no redress (excuse the pun).

Edited by tapo
additional info

These cruises are charters, that is the ship is chartered to another group. Azamara does not run these cruises so they do not appear on their website.[/quote

Still same ship and crew (whether they like it or not they have to accept it).

These cruises are charters, that is the ship is chartered to another group. Azamara does not run these cruises so they do not appear on their website.[/quote

As I understand the crew are asked and have the option not to work on the "clothing optional" and the other charter ( Atlantis). However we were told that most , if not all, choose to work.

As workingtocruise-59 says that is not actually the case. The crew are given the option, although as said, most choose to stay.

Journey doesn't seem to do these type of charters at present. It's all Quest. There are others to follow.

Phil

Extensive discussion about a year ago on this board over the "clothing optional" cruises. People threatening to cancel believing that they could catch "cooties" from these charters. Booked on Quest out of Venice on 4 October which is actually embarking 3 October as a result of one of these charters just preceding ours and which was curtailed by one day giving us an extra overnight in Venice. These are very popular with central Europeans. Germany even has "clothing optional" hiking clubs and similar associations. Not really sure what those who obsess over this think what happens in their cabin by the previous occupants...

Not true. Crew is not "forced" to work these charters.

Don't think this is limited to Azamara. Back in May 2007 we took Windstar's Wind Star from Athens to Istanbul. The cruise prior to ours was a charter for nudists; actually I think it was a gay nudist group charter. Perhaps they prefer the smaller ships, or the size is more suitable to a charter.

I found this out quite by accident sometime after we booked. When I mentioned it to one of the crew, they were quite surprised that I knew about this. In speaking to a couple of the crew, I was told that all the seating surfaces were covered, and that they were given the option of working that particular cruise or not. Those who did stay on said it was a bit uncomfortable for some of them.

We were fine, and didn't worry about "catching" anything - and we didn't. The only downside was realizing that that ship didn't suit us.

We were on a Celebrity cruise that immediately followed a clothing optional chartered sailing. So I watched the FLL sailaway webcam. When they zoomed in on the passengers along the railing, I didn't notice anyone I would have liked to see without clothing. :eek:

Before this goes off on the eeewww tangent, they're required to be dressed in the dining facilities and must sit on towels in the public places.

One of the reasons many of the crew work those charters is that they make a lot of money. There are no drink packages so every drink gets the added gratuity.

One of the reasons many of the crew work those charters is that they make a lot of money. There are no drink packages so every drink gets the added gratuity.

Also I have been told the passengers on these charters are very generous tippers, so most crew actually do want to work the charter. They are told "eye to eye" gaze at all times....no looking downwards! :o

But.....but, how are these guests caring tip money?

I'd guess everyone's carrying their complimentary Azamara canvas bag! I know I would, plus I always need my book, reading glasses, card key, sunglasses, etc.

Besides on one of these voyages the canvas bag would be large enough to lend a bit of intrigue when making new friends ;)

I'd guess everyone's carrying their complimentary Azamara canvas bag! I know I would, plus I always need my book, reading glasses, card key, sunglasses, etc.

Besides on one of these voyages the canvas bag would be large enough to lend a bit of intrigue when making new friends ;)

Yes, but there is only one "free bag" per room :eek: