Artist's Loft

bandt

Hi everyone

On an upcoming Riviera cruise (port intensive, one sea day) we would like to take advantage of the Artist's Loft. Is it open on port days ? We have been several times to some ports and will spend time on board at these.

Many thanks

Brian

Hi everyone

On an upcoming Riviera cruise (port intensive, one sea day) we would like to take advantage of the Artist's Loft. Is it open on port days ? We have been several times to some ports and will spend time on board at these.

Many thanks

Brian

On our last O cruise it was open on port days. It was structured as a cruise-long class and even though we had quite a few sea days, the group met every day. We toured one port with a lady in the class and she wanted to be back on the ship for her 4:00 PM class.

Maybe this isn't needed as clarification, but just in case it is, I wanted to add that the Artist's Loft is not staffed all the time, but is rather a place where classes are held at various days and times. There may be times when the instructor is there to help anyone who needs help, show his/her work, or answer questions about the classes or the artwork. However, there are many times when there is nobody there. Go to the Loft early on in the cruise to find out what's available, and always sign up for things you're interested in. The classes tend to be quite popular.

Go to the Loft early on in the cruise to find out what's available, and always sign up for things you're interested in. The classes tend to be quite popular.

Do they have a sign up sheet now or is it still on a first come basis?

Well, I haven't been on one of the large ships (with its dedicated artist loft room) for a couple years now, but I'm pretty sure they DID have signup sheets. However, maybe those were just to get an idea of how many people anticipated coming, and people were not turned away as long as there were seats available. I guess it would be best for people to ask early on what the policy is, and perhaps also to come a little early to any session that interests them.

Well, I haven't been on one of the large ships (with its dedicated artist loft room) for a couple years now, but I'm pretty sure they DID have signup sheets. However, maybe those were just to get an idea of how many people anticipated coming, and people were not turned away as long as there were seats available. I guess it would be best for people to ask early on what the policy is, and perhaps also to come a little early to any session that interests them.

we were on 3 yrs ago ..no sign up sheet on that cruise

A lot of people came 1 hr early & just sat waiting for the class ..so no seats by the time the class started

I have better things I can do with that hr

I wish they would have sign up sheets or charge a fee like the cooking classes

JMO

Thank you all for your very helpful replies.

Are there any supplies available for sale ... watercolours, paper, brushes etc... or does one have to bring one's own ?

Brian

Thank you all for your very helpful replies.

Are there any supplies available for sale ... watercolours, paper, brushes etc... or does one have to bring one's own ?

Brian

from what I understand supplies are free

It may not be just painting but other crafts as well just depend on what the instructor they hire does

I have seen crafts, photography & watercolur classes offered

never made it to one though

It may depend on the length of the cruise. On the Riviera this past January on a 10 day cruise the artist in residence had 3 sets of classes; each met 3 times for an hour; the meetings were around 5 pm I think. All materials were free. There was a sign up sheet for each class set.

The artist this coming December is different than last January; information is available in the many mailings I think. If you are interested you should sign up first thing on boarding; there are limited numbers and they do fill up.

If you are interested you should sign up first thing on boarding; there are limited numbers and they do fill up.

That gives those in the suites a big advantage over those in cheaper cabins, doesn't it (since they get to board first)?

That gives those in the suites a big advantage over those in cheaper cabins, doesn't it (since they get to board first)?

Their cabins are ready first but I'm pretty sure all classes can board before 12; I did not sign up until the second day and by then only one of the 3 classes was available, but I think if you sign up as early as possible on the first day you should be okay.

we were on 3 yrs ago ..no sign up sheet on that cruise

A lot of people came 1 hr early & just sat waiting for the class ..so no seats by the time the class started

I have better things I can do with that hr

I wish they would have sign up sheets or charge a fee like the cooking classes

JMO

Exactly what I was going to say. We don't participate in a lot of things as there are many who queue up to 2 hours early.

There is absolutely nothing on a cruise ship that is free that I am willing to spend that amount of warming a seat.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our cruise in February, the classes were scheduled in the afternoons so if you were in port, there was plenty of time to do some sightseeing,etc, then head back to the ship for the art class. I signed up on day 2 or 3 and there was plenty of room as there were several sessions available throughout the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums