Do you like Mexican Food?

JRG

Does anybody agree that is seems difficult to find quality Mexican food on our cruise lines (in general). We are curious to see if anybody agrees (or disagrees) and why that may be true..

We have taken many cruises and just have never seen tasty or quality Mexican food dishes at either main seatings or lunch buffets.

Let us know your thoughts

Jerry and Judy

I'm guessing that as in any other ethnic foods, they're usually toned down and westernized to appeal to a broader audience

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree! Also, it's going to be Tex-Mex. Sometimes better than others. :rolleyes:

Does anybody agree that is seems difficult to find quality Mexican food on our cruise lines (in general). We are curious to see if anybody agrees (or disagrees) and why that may be true..

We have taken many cruises and just have never seen tasty or quality Mexican food dishes at either main seatings or lunch buffets.

Let us know your thoughts

Jerry and Judy

We (and probably you...considering where you live) can have really good Mexican food at/near home anytime...I for one don't look for or expect to find it onboard.

Carnival's Blue Iguana is decent (they make their own flour tortillas) but the burrito bar in the Splendor was icky the last time we had it.

The Miracle Mexican Riviera cruises have a good scallop app and a pork tenderloin entree that's actually very close to the Cabo-based Chef demo we tasted on the Miracle's Mexican Riviera Journeys cruise. They also have a cold watermelon soup that tastes exactly like the Agua Frescas we get in the mercados. I ask for it in a glass.

Usually onboard I stick with the Indian as most of the chefs are Indian.

Carnival's Blue Iguana is decent (they make their own flour tortillas) but the burrito bar in the Splendor was icky the last time we had it.

The Miracle Mexican Riviera cruises have a good scallop app and a pork tenderloin entree that's actually very close to the Cabo-based Chef demo we tasted on the Miracle's Mexican Riviera Journeys cruise. They also have a cold watermelon soup that tastes exactly like the Agua Frescas we get in the mercados. I ask for it in a glass.

Usually onboard I stick with the Indian as most of the chefs are Indian.

Thanks, this is probably the best answer so far. We've never seen Mexican chefs (or stewards or bartenders) on any of our cruises and that may explain why what we see at the burrito and taco bars are not well represented. BTW we are booked on the Splendor in September of this year. Thanks for the heads up! We'll get our fix at El Indio in San Diego before we fly out to Ft. Lauderdale!

IMO it probably relates to the ethnicity of the cooks. We went to an all inclusive in Mexico and the Mexican food was great - but most of the other ethnicities were not very good.

Since many of the people in the kitchen are Indian or Asian, IMO those tend to come out well. They also do their best at the American style cruisines that represent a majority of their dishes. But think that when you get more into off shoots like Mexican you'll be hard pressed to find a chef familiar with those flavors on a Cruise ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are not looking for ethnic foods when curising on board...eat port if you want the real deal.

Its not like we're on the hunt-down for gourmet Mexican while cruising, or don't get our share on land, after all we SoCals have grown up with properly prepared and presented Mexican dishes, so have residents of Southernly US states have done with TexMex and NewMex etc. But I guarantee that we can all tell the difference at the taco bar by the pool where we have noticed the taco and burrito bars are so sub-standard. How difficult is it to create fresh deep fried chips, for example, versus getting served bulk commercial grade tortilla chips or commercial grade taco shells.

Or, it should not be that difficult to bulk prepare carnitas, shredded chicken or shredded beef instead of ground beef for the taco bars. Also the rice and beans are never prepared authentically. We get the real deal every day and it would be a nice improvement to see the lines show some improvement in this particular area.

What if you took a cruise to Mexico and ate in the ports?

We actually did an inland excursion in Mazatlán or Puerto Vallarta to a tequila factory and had a great meal served buffet style and it was one of the best meals we had that week, including on board. Personally we stay away from the dock-side Carlos Y Charlies, if that's what you mean by eating in port.

Thanks, this is probably the best answer so far. We've never seen Mexican chefs (or stewards or bartenders) on any of our cruises and that may explain why what we see at the burrito and taco bars are not well represented. BTW we are booked on the Splendor in September of this year. Thanks for the heads up! We'll get our fix at El Indio in San Diego before we fly out to Ft. Lauderdale!

We sail predominately west coast. Have met several crew on the Miracle and some of the Princess ships from Mexico. All ages- bartenders, waiters, bar servers. One of the, IMHO, best bartenders in Carnival is a gal from PV. FWIW several of them have said that VIPs, between Walmart and the mall in PV, is very good.

We (and probably you...considering where you live) can have really good Mexican food at/near home anytime...I for one don't look for or expect to find it onboard.

Same here. We have some good Mexican Restaurants here at home and little else. When I hit the ship I want real food that I can't get at home and when I hit port I want the local grub. Some of the best Mexican food that I have had was from a street vendor in Playa del Carmen. Cochinita Pibil.

Another delight was in the enclosed Mercado at Progreso. I have no idea what it was, but the locals were eating it so I tried it. All I know is that it was good and was meat wrapped in a tortilla. Love it.

What if you took a cruise to Mexico and ate in the ports?

That's what we do. Usually find a hole in the wall or eat in a Mercado. 3 of us eat for under $20US We're usually the only gringos in the place. Sometimes we've brought back fresh tortillas and salsa from the PV Mercado behind Sam's Club. Sometimes they've (tortillas & salsa) only gotten as far as the dockside bars.

Isn't 'quality Mexican food' an oxymoron?

Might be if you only eat restaurant Mexican food but if you eat at a home with authentic Mexican cooking it can truly be quality Mexican food. I have experienced Mexican food you'd rarely find in a restaurant. Delicious!

Might be if you only eat restaurant Mexican food but if you eat at a home with authentic Mexican cooking it can truly be quality Mexican food. I have experienced Mexican food you'd rarely find in a restaurant. Delicious!

OK - as an uneducated European, what Mexican dishes should I be looking out for?