If Cruise is Canceled will Airline Refund?

505CruiserSantaFe

As long as the insurance you purchased covered both the cruise and air fare.
Actually, in that case the airline will not refund the fare, but rather the insurer will compensate the insured for the loss.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Actually, in that case the airline will not refund the fare, but rather the insurer will compensate the insured for the loss.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Yep. OP, as others have said it can't hurt to ask, all it costs you is some time on the phone.

Worse comes to worse, you can use it as a future credit with the airline, minus their fees. I know from experience, Delta is expensive, $200 change fee.

If you have alternate dates already set you could see if they will make a change free of change given the current situation with hurricanes.

From what our local news is reporting the airport in Puerto Rico is closed to incoming passengers except for 5 hubs that are sending FEMA officials and humanitarian aid workers through the weekend. Those then empty planes will then have seats first for tourists stranded, then for flooded out locals with an evacuation plan or second residence or relatives willing to take them in, those 5 states.

I believe the 3 of the 5 hubs are

JFK in NY

Washington Dulles in DC

O'Hare in Chicago IL

So if you cruise leaves Sunday contact your carrier.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Usually, no, they would not refund your fare. Why woud they (but forp ublic relattions) but they have no responsiblity to take the loss. Seeign the awful state of the Caribb ean right now, who knows? I wouldn't count on it but go ahead and ask .

If your flight is soon the airline will probably cancel your flight and then you could get a refund. But insurance won't usually cover you if the cruise line cancels your cruise and the airline doesn't cancel your flight. We had this happen once to us when Carnival cancelled a cruise out of San Juan and the airline didn't cancel the flight. We ended up taking a cruise on another cruise line since it would have cost us $200pp (Delta) to change our flight. I always thought they went together since it was all part of the same trip. We really wouldn't need the flight to San Juan if there was no cruise to go on but the insurance companies don't see it that way. Most insurance policies have a provision to pay a certain $ amount for change fees but not for any increase in the fare. Now if you booked your flight through the cruise line the cruise line would refund the cost of the flight too.

Have you not been checking the AA website for weather waiver info?????

Hurricane Maria - Caribbean

Information current as of September 21, 2017

If you’re traveling to/through/from:

• Bridgetown, Barbados (BGI)
  • Cap Haitien, Haiti (CAP)
  • Fort de France, Martinique (FDF)
  • Port Au Prince, Haiti (PAP)
  • Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (POP)
  • Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (PUJ)
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)
  • Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI)
  • Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)
  • St. Croix Island, U.S. Virgin Islands (STX)
  • St. Kitts, Saint Kitts and Nevis (SKB)
  • St. Lucia, Saint Lucia (UVF)

The change fee may be waived if you:

• Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket by September 18, 2017
  • Are scheduled to travel September 18 - 30, 2017
  • Can travel September 17 - October 7, 2017
  • Don't change your origin or destination city
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference

Change your trip

If your trip is eligible, you can change it online. Here’s how:

• Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you’ll see the option to ‘change trip’ in the toolbar

Find your trip

Call Reservations

Can't change your trip online?

Contact Reservations

Make sure that you mention that your change is due to a Hurricane. I had to cancel my Delta flights and chose to go directly to Delta instead of the insurance company. Because my trip was impacted by Irma, Delta waived the change of flight fees and gave me a full credit for future flights. These flights have to be used by the people who originally booked. They are not transferable.

Can the airline land in the port city ?

During IRMA I believe the airport & the port of Miami were closed so I would hope the airline & cruise line refunded people

The key aspect of this is to keep in mind that the cruise line and the airline are two different companies and generally have no mutual contingencies. If the airline is flying the fact that the cruise is not sailing has nothing to do with the airline and has no effect on the airfare. Similarly, if the cruise is sailing the fact that the flight is not flying has no effect on the cruise fare.

Airlines and cruise lines may be more generous than that, but anything they offer is just that, generosity. None of it is required, and whatever they offer is offered in the interest of public relations, not to make the passenger whole. Making the passenger whole is what travel insurance is for.

OP

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You didn't mention the date of your cruise. If it is soon, you have a good chance of getting your money back as San Juan airport isn't fully operational for passenger flights.

Have you called your cruise line to see if the cruise is being cancelled? Maybe the port of embarkation, San Juan may even be changed.

Bottom line, you may be covered by some already published offer.

If not, you have to call and talk to them. If you do not get satisfaction, ask for a supervisor.

I have had to change flights due to various reasons over the years. If you have a serious reason, they will normally give you full credit to a future flight. You normally have to book within 1 year, and the booking can be for up to 1 year after booking. So you have to FLY within 2 years of the change.

VERY UNLIKELY you will get an actual refund.

Did you purchase your flight with a credit card? If so, it may automatically give you insurance. My AMEX does. If you aren't going to fly because the cruise is canceled, this may be another avenue to pursue.

Roz

The key aspect of this is to keep in mind that the cruise line and the airline are two different companies and generally have no mutual contingencies. If the airline is flying the fact that the cruise is not sailing has nothing to do with the airline and has no effect on the airfare. Similarly, if the cruise is sailing the fact that the flight is not flying has no effect on the cruise fare.

My point was

in some cases where the airline cannot land as in the recent hurricanes

EG MIA, FLL the ports were also closed

so one impacted the other

both airlines & cruise lines were working to help their passengers

it is not always black & white

If the airline cannot fly into the airport ,yes . I was scheduled to cruise the Escape on 9/9 Irma happened unfortunately. AA contacted me on Tuesday to change flight so I'd fly in earlier - NCL announced the same day cruise would be canceled - both issued refund very quickly. I had ins but no need to use due to the great cust service from both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums