Another Sun Princess wuestion

Hi, we are on a 3 for free offer which has a '$29 cover charge for specialty restaurant.

What does the overcharge actually cover say in the steak restaurant

Cheers

It covers you for the meal. In the steak restaurant they have a choice of prime cuts, which aren't available in regular dining.

If you want drinks they are at the standard cost/package coverage as elsewhere.

Princess persist in calling it a Cover Charge, when in fact it is a SURCHARGE for dining in the specialty restaurants .

A Cover Charge is a charge that all diners pay to cover the basic cost of providing a meal . Largely irrelevant in restaurants these days, but public holiday cover charges are not uncommon to cover higher wage costs on public holidays .

You pay for your meals within your basic cruise fare and whether you are down in the bilges or in the Ritz suite you all get same food in main dining rooms . Then the Specialty Restaurants offer on most cruise lines a higher class dining experience in terms of both service & Cuisine at a SURCHARGE per guest .

Some cruise lines do not charge extra for their specialty restaurants, and claim they are FREE . They are not free, rather inclusive in a higher fare usually . Caveat Emptor .

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to try the specialty restaurants, we highly recommend Share, food is superb and you wont go away hungry. This restaurant was the highlight of our recent Sun cruise. Left the main dining room for dead. Kai Seafood is also very good, fresh and delicious. Missed out on the steakhouse, left our run too late. IMO the quality of the food in the specialty restaurants is far better than the dining rooms and well worth the cover charge. Have been cruising for a little while and the food on board (on any cruise line) is not what it used to be.

I had made up my mind to have the fillet Mignon it being the smallest steak on the menu but got talked into the sirloin by the maitredee, think they must have had a glut on it as I heard him tell many other people the same,anyhow it's what I ended up with after the tough prawns I had for my entree, It was a tasty steak but 50% of it was fat which I do not eat,the Idaho potato was hard,mushrooms nicely cooked as was the asparagus, and the crime brûlée was very nice although I didn't eat it all.

John chose a lobster cake which he said reminded him of a fish finger but enjoyed the main of black tiger prawns,he also had spinach of which I too enjoyed and chips which I enjoyed as my spud was not nice.