Alcohol policy.....

Mysticalmother

i understand that Fred do not allow you to take alcohol on board to drink on board, and whilst I can accept that (. partly because I have no choice....:() can someone advise me what happens if you buy alcohol ashore whilst in Port?

We are going on the 3 nighter to Honfleur and Rouen next week, and have every intention of buying a bottle of Calvados in Honfleur to take home.

Is this going to present a problem? I have no intention of drinking it ...or even opening it...whilst on board...

Edited by Mysticalmother
spelling...!

They sometimes do just what Tiggertom describes and other times they just nod you through, depends on the security person and I suspect also whether or not you have an AI package.

We did a cruise round the Scottish islands and brought whisky at each port direct from the distillerys. The first day they wanted to take it from us and I said that was absolutely fine but that I had the purchase receipt and that we would want it replaced if anything happened while it was in their care, it was quite a rare and aged whisky. They changed their mind and allowed us to take it to the cabin so that any breakage was our problem. Each day after that me and my whisky got nodded through. None of it was opened onboard as it was never intended for that purpose and we had AI.

Rouen is a really lovely stop, lots to see and do there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up.....my bottle was confiscated when we came back on board ( as expected) on Saturday afternoon. But was back in my cabin by lunchtime on Sunday....

I maybe in the minority with my view but this seems extremely petty and not worth the administration time it must have taken....

Just to follow up.....my bottle was confiscated when we came back on board ( as expected) on Saturday afternoon. But was back in my cabin by lunchtime on Sunday....

I maybe in the minority with my view but this seems extremely petty and not worth the administration time it must have taken....

Actually I agree and add to that the fact that you would never drink a bottle of calvados in one day. Does seem petty.