How are the Swans doing?

Hi all

We've been home for about 3 weeks now. Yes, I could probably look online but I much prefer to hear from you, the fans. Some of you may recall that we adopted the Swans as our ARL team. Last we heard, they were still winless.

Please tell me that they have won a game :-)

ML

Hi all

We've been home for about 3 weeks now. Yes, I could probably look online but I much prefer to hear from you, the fans. Some of you may recall that we adopted the Swans as our ARL team. Last we heard, they were still winless.

Please tell me that they have won a game :-)

ML

Lol

Win????

Think they've forgotten how.!!!!

Carlton put through them last weekend

ML,

You didn't smuggle the players back onto the ship with you??? we in Sydney have not seen the swans players since last year and have so far needed to sub in spectators each game.....(At least that would explain why they ain't won a game yet!).

cya

bl262000

I just noticed ML and must provide a slight correction to your post, You watched and now follow the Sydney Swans which play "AFL", "Aussie (or Australian) rules" or even "aerial ping pong". :D

ARL is the Australian Rugby league supported generally in NSW, ACT and QLD (also known as NRL (National rugby league)).

Something minor but could lead to boisterous arguments!

cya

bl262000

I've been a member for 20 years... Never seen a start like this one :(

Still, I've had a good run the last few years so an off season won't bother me too much... Give the young kids some experience and get some good draft picks and an easier draw for next year.

At least it'll be low stress when we're overseas this August/Sept, and I won't have to worry about being out of contact for a week when we're on the Star Princess cruising from Vancouver to Anchorage. I organised everything so I would be home in time for a potential preliminary final should we make it.

I daresay that won't be a consideration!! :)

When I asked my mates at work about The Swans, they called them a pack of clowns.

I just found a recent picture of their captain

Happy to help

de9e2d448e09f85e1650bc035734ca7d.jpg

I'll get my coat

Well, this seems a bit extreme--don't they have time to turn the season around??? What happened to Buddy--I thought he was the final piece to lead them to a great season?

I just noticed ML and must provide a slight correction to your post, You watched and now follow the Sydney Swans which play "AFL", "Aussie (or Australian) rules" or even "aerial ping pong". :D

ARL is the Australian Rugby league supported generally in NSW, ACT and QLD (also known as NRL (National rugby league)).

Something minor but could lead to boisterous arguments!

cya

bl262000

I hate when people pay attention to what I write. Yes, I stand corrected, I meant to type AFL but my fingers slipped and I typed ARL. You had to be there, but it was a combination of history in the US of the old AFL football league, thinking about notes to give some friends who will be visiting you next year, just watched some Aussie rugby on TV, and my continuing confusion about all your footy leagues!!

You guys crack me up, love the comments. i will remain a Swans fan until I die. We are proudly displaying the Swans flag we got at the game in our laundry room (it has some wrinkles). Will be moving it out to the deck this weekend, when we entertain the couple we traveled with. And we are thinking of wearing our Swans T-shirts.

Fortunately, no one in the US knows anything about the Swans, so we look very savvy and international :D

ML

Lol

Win????

Think they've forgotten how.!!!!

Carlton put through them last weekend

Oh no, say it ain't so Gut. I thought you would hold out more hope for them. Surely it isn't their fault, maybe they need a bigger stadium or shorter games???:D

ML

Still winless, doesn't look good for this season. They have already been ridden off for the finals.

I've been a member for 20 years... Never seen a start like this one :(

Still, I've had a good run the last few years so an off season won't bother me too much... Give the young kids some experience and get some good draft picks and an easier draw for next year.

At least it'll be low stress when we're overseas this August/Sept, and I won't have to worry about being out of contact for a week when we're on the Star Princess cruising from Vancouver to Anchorage. I organised everything so I would be home in time for a potential preliminary final should we make it.

I daresay that won't be a consideration!! :)

I can't tell you how sorry I am to read this...When we were there for the first home game, we had such high hopes for a great season. People were laughing, kids were playing and having fun, Chinese-Australians were waiting for the Premier (or somebody high up) to show, and we all knew this would be the year.

Alas, I was wrong. I am tempted to go back and have a serious chat with them :D

ML

Oh no, say it ain't so Gut. I thought you would hold out more hope for them. Surely it isn't their fault, maybe they need a bigger stadium or shorter games???:D

ML

Or some players who can play, or maybe want to play. (But then I'm a Carlton supporter).

ML,

Even though the Swans haven't won a game yet, two other teams (Hawthorn and North Melbourne) who were in the finals with them last season have only won a game each. So they are not alone in not doing well.

I don't think Buddy is playing too badly, he just hasn't had the support of his team mates - he can't win the game by himself. It hasn't helped that some of the better Swans players aren't in good form and they have had many players with injuries as well.

I guess most Swan's supporters would think they are in a rebuild, they have been very successful for a while now.

Don't give up on them! Even though not a Swans supporter, I do have a bit of a soft spot for them except when my team play them and we usually get smashed!

Leigh

Or some players who can play, or maybe want to play. (But then I'm a Carlton supporter).

Surely it can't be that simple?? There must be some hungry footballer's out there? Maybe they need to pay more? :D

ML,

Even though the Swans haven't won a game yet, two other teams (Hawthorn and North Melbourne) who were in the finals with them last season have only won a game each. So they are not alone in not doing well.

I don't think Buddy is playing too badly, he just hasn't had the support of his team mates - he can't win the game by himself. It hasn't helped that some of the better Swans players aren't in good form and they have had many players with injuries as well.

I guess most Swan's supporters would think they are in a rebuild, they have been very successful for a while now.

Don't give up on them! Even though not a Swans supporter, I do have a bit of a soft spot for them except when my team play them and we usually get smashed!

Leigh

Hi Leigh

Thanks for the hopeful thought, much appreciated. I am gratified to learn that 2 other teams have only won 1 game. Makes me think that the whole thing is a conspiracy to help Melbourne or Adelaide (I can't remember now which team i was told was the perennial winner?)

All I really know is that hopes were high for Buddy and he seems to have disappointed. I know fans booed him late in the game we watched. Which seemed rude, considering it was the first game of the season.

I'm sticking with them. Hail the red and white :D

ML

Unfortunately for Swans supporters they're still getting visits from Owen.

Knock knock

Who's there?

Owen

Owen who?

Owen six

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Should have seen this coming...

Much as I hate to admit it, it is pretty funny. I am going to remember this for my (American) footy team here at home. Helps to deflect the pain...

ML

We're a die hard swans family, members for years and hubby has been devoted to them since he discovered the game as a teenager.

All the stress has gone from the season, we sadly aren't really expecting a win anymore when we go into a game, so anything more is a bonus!

We're still winless for the year so far, but my consolation is that we have won by relatively close margins and at least have been in the game most of the time. A couple of other teams may have won a game and climbed over us on the ladder, but their losses have been appalling.

There have also been some injuries and strange calls that hindered us - Kieren jack is out, Gary Rohan had a sickening crash last week (and strangely enough the umps didn't stop the game while there was a stretcher on the field - as they were carrying him off we gave away a goal), tippet and mcveigh might be back soon... it's a bit tragic.

We have a few great experienced players and a few great young players, but the balance just isn't right at the moment it seems. May have something to do with the trade ban and COLA fiasco from a couple years back and the ongoing issues there, but it's also just the cycle of things I guess. It would be a boring comp if the same teams were in the 8 every year, it might just be our turn to sit the finals out!

Surely it can't be that simple?? There must be some hungry footballer's out there? Maybe they need to pay more? :D

Personally I think most sportspeople get paid too much and that's part of the problem.

Now my sport is really Rugby League, played at a moderate level, had mates who didn't have health problems that played in the NRL and for Australia.

The best of them were earning about the same for playing as most of our mates were for working. They then held down a job as well, some part time, some full time, and as a result were doing way better than those not playing. In addition many were on small contacts but got paid more (upto 10 times more) for a win than a loss.

Good news ML! Swans have had a win today against the Brisbane Lions and Buddy had a great game - kicked 8 goals 4 behinds. The final score was Swans 20.15.135 to 12.9.81.

Leigh