Latest Missile Tests by North Korea and Provocative Threats to Japan

I wonder what measures the cruise industry will take in relation to positioning of ships following the latest missile tests and provocative threats to Japan by North Korea?

I guess only time will tell, but scary when you've got two megalomaniacs with a button to a Nuke. I have trouble envisioning either of them backing down.

Unlikely to do anything much, while they're not specifically affected. If there was a specific threat against passengers, ships or the ports visited, then they would, but they're not a likely target.

They're currently struggling to work out how to deal with impacts in the Caribbean, in which they are directly impacted.

Korean Air will have some good specials....Sydney - Seoul - London Heathrow.

Not many will feel comfortable flying over South Korea or even Japan.:loudcry:

I agree. In addition, I wouldn't want to be cruising in the immediate region at present. Time will tell what will happen, if cruisers cancel their bookings.

We are off to Tokyo next week for a cruise on Celebrity Millennium around Japan and one stop in South Korea, even though it is worrying we are of the oppinion that if the ship is going then we are to, been looking forward to this holiday fo twelve months.

We are off to Tokyo next week for a cruise on Celebrity Millennium around Japan and one stop in South Korea, even though it is worrying we are of the oppinion that if the ship is going then we are to, been looking forward to this holiday fo twelve months.

You are right, of course. The cruise line would cancel/devert the cruise if there was any immediate danger.

Bon Voyage! I hope you enjoy your cruise.

We have a cruise booked for next year and may well find that it goes elsewhere or such but that can happen with any cruise due to other issues. As mentioned by others, if the risk of danger increases the ships will avoid the area.

I am on the same cruise as qbay46. Whatever will be will be. If North Korea starts sinking cruise ships we are all in a world of pain. I figure I will be part of that world with an Old Fashioned in my hand.
Not sure if that would protect you but it sure would steady the nerves.

We did Diamond Princess around Japan with a stop in Busan, South Korea last month. Ironically we had no idea anything was going on unless turning on the BBC in our stateroom (missle talk, super tsunami hitting Japan)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did Diamond Princess around Japan with a stop in Busan, South Korea last month. Ironically we had no idea anything was going on unless turning on the BBC in our stateroom (missle talk, super tsunami hitting Japan)

I suppose there is nothing the captain can do or say that wouldn't cause a panic.

I suppose there is nothing the captain can do or say that wouldn't cause a panic.

Correct but I was also referring to shore excursions and being among the local people in port. It was like life like normal. Just abnormal all-around experience with no signs anything was going on in the world (except when hubby turned on bbc .... grrr...)

Unless it is absolutely necessary, avoiding the news while on a cruise is highly recommended.

Yep - that's why I gave him the grrrrrr... he was flipping through looking for the bridgecam for our inside stateroom and luck hit it just right. After 200+ nights onboard he usually knows better lol

And the LRAD (Long Range Acoustic Device) fitted on cruise ships won't deflect North Korean Missiles, only destroy the odd pirate's eardrums.:evilsmile:

On the Princess Grand Class ships, we often take a partly obstructed ocean view cabin, Dech 8 (Emerald) and midships. The LRAD is often positioned there, so we would be a target for the pirate's AK47's. I don't want to even think about the missiles zeroing in on Cabin E407. lol.

I am off on the Diamond Princess next month out of Yokohama and am not the slightest bit worried. I think that war is inevitable as long as that single despot is in charge of north korea and I am betting war will break out within 2 years and that north korea will be completely destroyed with absolutely no missiles originating from their country landing on Japan.

The situation is that no sane country would allow north korea to build up a nuclear arsenal large enough to threaten and extort neighbouring countries like their artillery does threaten Seoul. Also given that they are working on nuclear devices and miniatureisation they are also probably looking to build suitcase dirty bombs that can be sold to terrorists to detonate in any city they want. It would not be hard to export things like that on their cargo ships that are free from international boarding and inspections and often trade with dodgy countries that flout international law.

As much as I do not like the US president and his style, I am of the opinion that this trouble has been brewing for decades and has been constantly neglected and both China and Russia have been extremely unhelpful in allowing the threat to be contained.

Given my service in the Navy and my knowledge of what military equipment is available I am 100% confident to take holidays in Japan and continue going there. I am also 100% certain that it is inevitable military action will be taken against this despot in north korea and I am certain it will be so hard and fast that the country can be wiped out even without the use of nuclear weapons against it.

If anyone is worried about north korea firing missiles, well they shouldn't be. There are enough American, Japanese warships to set up a line of defence with enough missiles on board to fire at least 10 interceptors to 1 north korean missile. The US navy has 22 Ticonderoga class cruisers each with 122 missile tubes to fire the SM3 type interceptor missiles, they also have 64 active Arleigh Burke class destroyers each with 89 to 94 missile tubes on some ships. Even without their entire fleet deployed there is enough firepower and defensive armament to keep north korea at bay. Not only that they also have 4 Ohio class ballistic missile submarines that have been converted to fire 154 Tomahawk cruise missiles. They also have 11 aircraft carriers in active service. The numbers alone are enough to quash any threat from north korea if America has to go to war to remove that regime.

I am 100% certain that it will happen. I am also feeling confident and safe to travel to Japan at the end of October!

I don't know what scares me most, actions by NK or the US. :eek:

The USA does not worry me one bit. You want to know why? They are a major democracy, they have courts that can even restrict a President as we have seen. Make no mistake I am no fan of that current person occupying their highest office, I refuse to use their name and I have actually enjoyed not reading or listening to any news article about him or his family since the election. What irritates me is that my political views are traditionally a little right of centre but I have been known to accept both sides. I absolutely hate the extreme left and political correctness brigade just as much as I hate the religious conservatives.

The USA is going to have another President in another 3 or 7 years. Unfortunately that despot in north korea has his term for life. His people cannot elect their leaders, they have no rights or freedoms and are living in conditions worst than how hitler treated people under his control.

The answer is very simple on this. Who do you support and whose side do you take? Do you support the despot in charge or north korea? or would you rather stand with the Americans, regardless of who is President they have many people who lead the country through either being Senators or Judges.

Looking at it logically, you're right in that there are more controls in the US, so their leader doesn't have unfettered control. But can still do damage. OTOH in NK, you agree with the leader - or you're dead.

But - as you've pointed out, the US has a lot more power and impact than NK. Thus, the effect of wrong actions there can be more significant and dramatic than in NK.

I'm siding with Mic. ;-)

Well we are sitting at Brisbane airport waiting to board our flight to Tokyo, going to have a great time there and not worry about thing that I don't have any control over.Ship will be there Sunday and we will be on it.

Good attitude, hope you have a great time, I loved our Japan cruise.

By the way in 2013 on a cruise from Beijing to Bangkok we were told they might have to miss certain ports because of the North Korea crisis and we passed quite close to American warships. Never missed any ports and all good.

Well we are sitting at Brisbane airport waiting to board our flight to Tokyo, going to have a great time there and not worry about thing that I don't have any control over.Ship will be there Sunday and we will be on it.

Enjoy, you will be fine. The Yanks will look after you.:halo: