How Late Can/Should I Wait Before Cancelling?

babs135

How depressing a heading.

I have a trapped nerve in my neck and for the benefit of those lucky people who have never suffered this I can assure them that the pain is incredible. It's in my neck, back and radiates down my left arm which feels as if it is burning and if someone even just brushes against it, it hurts like hell.

My doctor has prescribed simple exercises and medication, the latter which brings its own problems in that they are very strong and I can only take them for 3 consecutive days at a time. He suggests waiting 6 weeks to see if it settles and if not he will refer me for physio. With the way the NHS is at the moment I suspect that could be at least another 2 or 3 weeks.

The problem is we go away in just under 12 weeks time so there is not a lot of manoeuvrability regarding treatment.

I'm alright sitting down once I've found a comfy position, but the minute I stand up and move about I'm in great pain. I really don't want to even think about cancelling, but the thought of four weeks away not really wanting to move around doesn't fill me with enthusiasm either.

I've decided that if it hasn't settled after 4 weeks I will go back to the doctor and explain the timeline and hope he can sort something out. In the meantime I'm hoping it settles quickly because when the pain is bad I could weep. Pathetic on my part in some ways, but that's how I feel.

Edited by babs135

I am not medically trained in any way, but saw your post and wanted to reply.

Is your trapped nerve, structural, by that I mean vertebrae issues, or caused by soft tissue compression? I ask as following a car accident I suffered with this so no the pain you are in :(

As mine was muscular inflammation, manipulation by physio or chiropractor wasn't the answer.

I tried acupuncture, and the relief was incredible. It took a few sessions but once recovery was underway it was quite rapid.

Might be worth asking your GP his opinion, private sessions are not that expensive, and well worth it to be out of pain, let alone that fact it might stop you missing your cruise.

Not sure what type of trapped nerve it is. Don't even know how I did it :( Could be a combination of sleeping on a hard bed in an awkward position followed by carrying a heavy bag on my shoulder the following day. Just guess work.

Regarding the tens machine; it's certainly a possibility. The problem would appear to be that I'm not totally sure where I would place the pads. Definitely would have to speak to the doctor I suspect.

Might have to bite the bullet and go private re a physio. Been out in the car all day and am now in agony. Finding a comfy position proved impossible. Definitely won't wait the 6 weeks before going back to the doctor.